Recommend Sept Elk huntin boot

sivart

WKR
I've been searching all winter. I was able to try a pair of Crispi Thors from a friend. I like them, don't love them. It kind of feels like I'm walking on stilts......Not used to the high arch (sole). I've been running Danner 452s for years. Like everything about them except I rarely get more than 2 seasons out of them, and they aren't even what I would call water resistant.

sargent

WKR
I've hunted elk in September in non insulated Kenetrek Mountain Extremes and Crispi Lapponias. They are both great IMO. The Kenetreks are heavier and can get a little warm if it's hot, but they can't be beat if you are in really steep or rocky terrain or are packing a heavy load of meat. The Lapponias are lightweight and have a pliable sole closer to a trail runner than a boot. Both are very waterproof. As far as durability, the Kenetreks are going on their fifth season and are starting to show some signs of wear, but are still doing the job. I've only had the Lapponias since July, but so far they are holding up well.

bobr1

WKR
I run the Crispi Nevada non insulated for archery and rifle season. If it was going to get really cold, like sub zero I'd switch to something warmer.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I like a ~7" high, lightweight, flexible boot. I need to be able to move in a hurry when need be so I don't care for the taller stiffer boots. Crispi has some decent offerings that will fit this.

I have always been a boot minimalist. I do a lot of stalking, so I can't stand a stiff boot, they are just too loud. I also don't like taking off my boots unless there is a good reason (bedded animal that's not going anywhere)

I have sissy feet, so stalking in socks isn't ideal to me. my main footwear in sept is the asolo shiver and gaiters. they keep me dry in morning dew, breath much better than a traditional boot, and I can feel the ground beneath me.... good compromise for me.

with that being said, I finally found a boot I love, the crispi summit gtx… they are legit, and are nice if i'm doing a lot of steep side hilling, or steep soft ground walking. I carry moccasins with me when I wear them usually, but not always.

if i'm covering ground hunting with the bugle tube, I wear my crispis, generally don't need to be too quiet when bugling. if i'm ambushing with a plan to stalk into killing range, I wear my shivers with gaiters.

at this point, if I had to get by with one boot, it would be the crispi. they are quiet enough for most stuff, even on a stalk. they were comfortable from day 1, and I have put some serious mileage on them so far, and they are still waterproof.

after wearing them a few months, it's crazy I used to like Danner pronghorns.... crispis are so much better. even if they start leaking tomorrow, they outlast any pronghorns in staying waterproof.

I can't wear most "elk hunting boots" they hurt my feet and are clumsy when trying to be quiet, and can't feel anything through them. the one time I tried on kenetreks I wanted right back out of them.... no way in hell!

It's a personal thing from fit to what you wear them for. I know many love kenetreks, I don't.... i'm no more right, they are no more wrong, just different tastes and applications.

during blacktail rifle season walking logging roads and glassing, I often wear xtra tufs, they are great when it's really wet, they are comfortable, quiet, and have the best traction of any boot I have put on (just the sole material, obviously a stiff boot will grab better in certain scenarios)

walking through buck skin blow down they have great traction.... anything slick they handle well.... obviously niche footwear in the woods, but they have a place.

I would like to try some la sportivas, but likely won't unless something changes with crispi. I have blown a lot of money on boots I ended up not liking.... the crispis fit me really well, so i'm sticking to them.

sargent

WKR
I have always been a boot minimalist. I do a lot of stalking, so I can't stand a stiff boot, they are just too loud. I also don't like taking off my boots unless there is a good reason (bedded animal that's not going anywhere)

I have sissy feet, so stalking in socks isn't ideal to me. my main footwear in sept is the asolo shiver and gaiters. they keep me dry in morning dew, breath much better than a traditional boot, and I can feel the ground beneath me.... good compromise for me.

with that being said, I finally found a boot I love, the crispi summit gtx… they are legit, and are nice if i'm doing a lot of steep side hilling, or steep soft ground walking. I carry moccasins with me when I wear them usually, but not always.

if i'm covering ground hunting with the bugle tube, I wear my crispis, generally don't need to be too quiet when bugling. if i'm ambushing with a plan to stalk into killing range, I wear my shivers with gaiters.

at this point, if I had to get by with one boot, it would be the crispi. they are quiet enough for most stuff, even on a stalk. they were comfortable from day 1, and I have put some serious mileage on them so far, and they are still waterproof.

after wearing them a few months, it's crazy I used to like Danner pronghorns.... crispis are so much better. even if they start leaking tomorrow, they outlast any pronghorns in staying waterproof.

I can't wear most "elk hunting boots" they hurt my feet and are clumsy when trying to be quiet, and can't feel anything through them. the one time I tried on kenetreks I wanted right back out of them.... no way in hell!

It's a personal thing from fit to what you wear them for. I know many love kenetreks, I don't.... i'm no more right, they are no more wrong, just different tastes and applications.

during blacktail rifle season walking logging roads and glassing, I often wear xtra tufs, they are great when it's really wet, they are comfortable, quiet, and have the best traction of any boot I have put on (just the sole material, obviously a stiff boot will grab better in certain scenarios)

walking through buck skin blow down they have great traction.... anything slick they handle well.... obviously niche footwear in the woods, but they have a place.

I would like to try some la sportivas, but likely won't unless something changes with crispi. I have blown a lot of money on boots I ended up not liking.... the crispis fit me really well, so i'm sticking to them.
Have you tried the Crispi Lapponias? It sounds like they would be right up your alley.

Wapiti1

WKR
Trying Schnees Kestrel this year. It fit my foot (11 sort of narrow) and for a full shank boot was very light weight.

If I'm in lower country without steep climbing, I wear an old pair of Garmont light backpacking boots.

Jeremy

second the Zamberlan 980s. It's a taller, slightly heavier boot than the Crispi but has been great for 3 full years now. It's uninsulated and has never leaked. They're perfect if your feet are a bit on the wider side as well

ndbuck09

WKR
I currently run scarp charmoz, the newer outdry version for when it's going to be hot and not a big storm cycle. And run Scarpa Grand Dru for later when there's a lot of rain/snow and crap forecasted. Been happy with both boots here in Idaho; Scarpa warranted my 1 yr old Grand dru's in October as they had stitching come out which let water in. They had actually redesigned the boot in the last year which now equates to that stitching area being gone, which hopefully means even more bullet proofness.

KHNC

WKR
For september in a warm weather state, Salomon Speedcross 5 is a good choice. Trail running and hiking shoe. Super light with goretex on GTX model. Really dont even need a boot in most early season situations. I compete in endurance comps with them , elk hunting isnt any harder than most of those.

Kgentry

Lil-Rokslider
Crispi Idaho’s hunted all of archery season and rifle season in them. It was 5 degrees and snowing when I shot my elk and my feet were a little cold but my feet run hot and I fight my feet sweating in any boot.

RazAlGhoul

Lil-Rokslider
I had the Irish setter vaportrek and they were super comfortable. I'm not trying to bash on them because they were good boots but they wore out very fast. Two quarter sized holes on each side of my toes and the sole tread was gone after 2 seasons. So I switched to Lowa Rangers and couldn't be happier. They are super durable, have great support and they fit my foot fantastic. And if the sole wears out I can get it resoled (which was a big requirement for me)

I only use uninsulated boots because my feet sweat, tried quite a few. So far my favorites are the Salomon Quest 4d that I got last year. This year I've got a pair of Zamberlan and like the extra stiffness in the sole but can't get comfortable in the ankles, feels loose and nothing I can do to get them to tighten up. I haven't hunted in the yet though, still just wearing around the house. I will say there doesn't seem to be much of a breakin requirement for the Zamberlan.

joestrow

WKR
I’m also searching for a good September boot. Last year I tried to make to work with my Merrell Moabs due to budget restrains. I can walk for days in those guys but the stickers that easily crept through annoyed the heck out of me.

I purchased a pair of danner gilas and they were great until started carrying around my 2 y/o - the weight from my boy made them feel like a completely different boot. Spent quite a bit of time trying on multiple pairs at sportsman’s and my winner was the Lowa Renegade GTX. I know it doesn’t have the higher ankle support, but still had the best fit for my feet.

Hope you find a winner that will make your feet happy!

JMo25

FNG
I think I’m going to try some Crispis this year. Thanks for all the posts this is good info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk