Recommendation for BB gun or 22 with decent trigger

OP
uppercut11
Savage MK2 FV SR has a pretty good trigger and can be had for around $200-250. Plus it might be better suited to grow into or for adult use than the rascal.
I like the idea of one she could grow with but I think that length of pull is too long for her to start with. I wish they would put a modified accufit on a .22. That would be nice for them to grow with.

wildcat33

WKR
Trigger is adjustable. Lop is “compact” id say, only because the butt pad is shorter than a standard tikka by maybe an inch or half inch

Is the trigger on the daisy somewhat comparable to a decent rifle trigger? I need it light enough for her to pull with one finger and also want it to be decently crisp so she can learn proper squeeze.

this is coming from a guy who has factory triggers in all my guns, so I’m no expert on high end triggers, but I think the daisy 499 has a good trigger. It has a pretty clean break and is easy to pull with one finger. My youngest son had to use two on his red rider when he was smaller and it made his accuracy horrible so I know where you’re coming from.

the daisy 499 is also quite a bit easier to cock than the red rider is.

TheGDog

WKR
if u can find a CZ 452 American Scout. Snag it up! Just make sure to keep bolt arm lubed so it locks up easier when still new and tight. They ARE pricier 400-ish but their quality is top notch. You wouldn't want to sell it. LOP is more towards youth but not so much so that you as adult wouldn't enjoy it as well. I've taken rabbits w/ his 452 a number of times!

I am not seeing the different LOP butt plates. Is that something you buy separately or that comes with if you get the right model? How is the trigger on the Ruger?

I bought one from Ruger for my daughter's 17HMR. I think it was $20-30

I am not familiar with the cricket. Does it have a good, crisp trigger? Is it adjustable?
To the best of my memory the trigger is decent. Manufacturer claims 2.5-3lbs and may sell different triggers. A friend of mine had one for his son to learn firearm safety with, it was fun to plink with.

I thought my kids on a ruger American 22lr. LOP adjustment is good. It was dirt cheap and I won’t mind if it gets beaten up. Trigger is a little gritty and it takes some effort to cycle it. In a couple of years, I will put a scope on it and use it as a hunting rifle trainer.

I didn’t like the idea of a cricket or a rascal. They seem great for kids and can be had in cute colors, etc. They just felt too much like toys to me. I wanted something a little more “serious”. It’s a personal preference, but worth noting.

I also bought a Henry 22 ”for the kids”. I thought it would be a logical progression from the red Ryder. Unfortunately, they had issues with cycling the BB gun. TBH the mechanical complexity of a lever - cycling it, decockiNg it, etc. - weren’t great. Hence the ruger.

The ruger is fine but after handling a few other 22 bolt guns if the tikka t1 had been an option then, I would have gun that way Or CZ, if I had been able to handle one back then. 2x the price but a much more refined and higher quality build.

wyosam

WKR
The T1X has a great trigger. Not sure if it is available in a compact stock? Would seem strange if not. Could always pick up a compact stock used- they seem to show up when people grow, or if people buy the compact as a base for a build.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bwhntMT

Lil-Rokslider
Interesting... thanks for the tip. It looks like you air it up with a separate pump or compressor vs having a pump on the gun itself?
You do. It's a bit of an investment, but I have been surprised how much my kids and I shoot it. I got it primarily to get them shooting experience. And we can shoot it in the backyard, so we get a fair amount of practice.

tdhanses

WKR
Ruger precision rimfire has an adjustable stock and is an excellent option to grow into.

TomJoad

WKR
How is the length of pull? Is it sized for an adult or is it youth sized? Not seeing that info on their website for some reason. Looks like there are several different styles of 457. Which one did you go with?

my mistake, it’s a CZ455 Lux not the 457. I went to measure it today and it’s right at 13-3/8” lop. I went for the lux for the iron sights but have kept this scoped with a Leupold FX1 4x28 which has been a great setup for it.

OP
uppercut11
I thought my kids on a ruger American 22lr. LOP adjustment is good. It was dirt cheap and I won’t mind if it gets beaten up. Trigger is a little gritty and it takes some effort to cycle it. In a couple of years, I will put a scope on it and use it as a hunting rifle trainer.
You make some good points. That is good feedback too that you found the trigger on the Ruger to be gritty and heavy. That definitely doesn't sound like what I want.

OP
uppercut11
The T1X has a great trigger. Not sure if it is available in a compact stock? Would seem strange if not. Could always pick up a compact stock used- they seem to show up when people grow, or if people buy the compact as a base for a build.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Looking around a bit I am not seeing compact stocks that fit the T1X. Have you seen them somewhere?

wildcat33

WKR
Looking around a bit I am not seeing compact stocks that fit the T1X. Have you seen them somewhere?

T1X has same inlet as standard tikkas. You might check the difference between a standard compact stock and the T1x, as the T1 has a shorter butt pad.

22lr

WKR
I've had a few Savage Mark IIs, they have incredible triggers for the price. And the magazine feed is handy, even if they are crude.

Forelle

FNG
Depends on what you want to spend. I like the Beeman springers with their adjustable Rockford triggers. You can dial them down to 1lb.

The R7 cocks easy and is scaled more for kids. I trained my son on a Beeman R9 rifle and p3 pistol. Their P1 pistol is iconic and imitates the recoil of a firearm with the rear firing piston. I topped them with a Bushnell trs25 red dot to help with aim.

I also have the CZ 455. Trigger sucks out of the box, but is easily fixed with a cheap spring kit. very accurate affordable 22 and you can swap barrels for 17hmr and 22mag. Barrels are fairly affordable too.

OP
uppercut11
Depends on what you want to spend. I like the Beeman springers with their adjustable Rockford triggers. You can dial them down to 1lb.

The R7 cocks easy and is scaled more for kids. I trained my son on a Beeman R9 rifle and p3 pistol. Their P1 pistol is iconic and imitates the recoil of a firearm with the rear firing piston. I topped them with a Bushnell trs25 red dot to help with aim.
I had not heard of the Beeman before. I just looked into the R7 and that looks like it would be a good choice. Definitely higher priced than a lot of air guns but looks like the quality would be worth it.