Recommendation for car camping tent for warm weather, rain and wind.

philos

Super Moderator
Staff member
Looking for suggestions for a car camping tent. Would be 3 season and probably for 2 people and gear. Obviously weight is not a concern but the tent would see duty in coastal environments so the ability to withstand rain and wind and have decent ventilation.

Hoping to keep the cost under $200

Thanks!

For, a two- person, try to find something with double doors/ vestibule, it's way nicer than a single. Aluminum poles, full sleeves (yes I'm outing myself as a clip hater), and a footprint have always been selling points for me. Best two-man I ever had was a North Face Rock 22, until it got stolen....if I could find something similar in your price range, I'd grab it...

Not exactly sure this would suit but I will throw in a vote for a Coleman instant cabin if you are doing family camping.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004E4AVY8/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

Get it in 6 person with a rain fly. It is within your budget and reasonably sturdy. Not hard core but If you stake it out it will handle some wind but it isn’t a fortress. They really shine by being able to set up fast and offering a standing room place to change. My thinking is that it is cheap and fairly sturdy. If I am camping with my wife and the weather gets so bad I need more of a tent then I better take her to a hotel anyway.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
This depends on the amount of rain and strength of the wind. About 10 years ago we were going on a group camping trip in August. We set up all the tents at higher elevation on a private ranch and then came back down to the house to wait for everyone else to arrive. While we were waiting one of those flash summer storms blew through. When we got back up there, my wall tent was the only one still standing. Small domes, large domes, and large cabin tents flat with busted poles.......what a fiasco.

If you get the Coleman, make sure you seam seal the crap out of it. Ours leaked straight out of the package despite the tape job done at the factory.
It has held up well in fair weather to pretty bad thunderstorms, but strong winds will definitely take it out pretty quickly.

Esse quam videri

BCSojourner

Lil-Rokslider
Check out the Dark Timber tent from Nemo (they make great gear). I purchased one as a 'cook tent' two years ago when they first came out. Was pleasantly surprised by the quality and design. It is an 8x8 nylon wall tent (walls about 3' in height) with 150 denier floor, and sets up quickly which is a real plus in foul weather. The separate fly goes up first using two very stout poles (included) and the tent is then suspended from the fly. I love the setup as it provides an immediate dry spot for gear during setup and breakdown of camp. Very high quality construction and no condensation as the fly is separated from the tent by an ample air space. Also features 6 1/2' of height in middle. You can easily have two cots in it plus room for gear. Other features include door at each end, huge zip down windows at each end, loop at center ceiling for light, incredibly stout stakes, and storage pockets at each end and along walls. We have noticed that our 2-burner cook stove provides ample heat in cold temps for cooking and just relaxing in the tent. Nemo had this on sale not long ago at a price close to your range. Great tent and well worth the price.

Jimss

WKR
My preference in rainy conditions is a pickup with extended cab plus a topper! You don't have to worry about your gear getting wet or having to deal with setting up and packing a wet tent in a downpour. It's also nice having a mobile, dry camp and gear!

JNDEER

WKR
Don't think there is such a tent. You can either have a highly vented tents that may withstand light gusts and a small shower but not rain and wind.

i use the cabelas west wind tent for my car camping with rain and wind but warm weather. cabelas Alaskan guide tent for heavy rain and wind.

if no storms and warm weather i have been using the coleman cabin tent with instant setup just for the ease of setting it up and the size.

OP
philos

philos

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for the suggestions. One thing I meant to point out was that I would use this in an environment with very heavy morning condensation (dew). I would not need something to use in high winds or heavy rains as I have other ways to camp then.

Thanks again for the recommendations

*zap*

WKR
USMC 2 man. Eureka or Diamond brand. Use a tarp or plastic for footprint. Very waterproof, tough as nails, double entry/vestibule. Double doors mesh/cordura with double zippers allows for cross venting at door tops. Comes with full repair kit.

Under $200. Two rainflys are available...….the woodland camo/solid color reversible is coated pvc and better for wet....the two solid color reversible is lighter and better for a drier environment but will work for wet. All kinds of parts and pieces for this tent are available on ebay/online if you ever need them.

My go to car camp tent for solo. But I always camp alone or bring a seperate tent for anyone else. Really hard to beat this tent. I have one tent body (diamond brand) and both rain flys, one diamond brand(coated pvc) and the eureka uncoated. With the fly only straps.....the fly only... with the three poles can be set up for a good fast shelter without the tent body. The straps for this are called the 'quick pitch kit' and usually come in the repair kit. basically they are cordura straps with pole grommets that snap together where they cross each other. Instructions for this use are on one of the tent stuff sacks or in the instruction booklet that comes with the repair kit. It is a similar set up to a footprint/fly only tent set up.

Last edited:

Old_Navy

Lil-Rokslider
This might suit your needs. I hate to buy a full on car camping monstrosity of a tent as most of them weigh 12-18 lbs, are miserable to set up, and can’t be used for anything else.

STORMBREAK 3 | United States

I also have a North Face Rock 22, it is an awesome tent but the sil coating is failing after 12 years. My wife bought me a Talus 4 as a replacement now that we have a kid.

If it’s going to be warm, you need to look into a battery operated fan like the tool companies make. We camped one night in Texas where it was pushing 80, I was completely naked on top of my air mattress with the rain fly off and still sweating.

mavinwa2

WKR
Res WA ST, winter>Gilbert AZ , NR>AZ, UT, NM, CO.
used a few tents over the years. A Kifaru Tut>pack in, 10x12 Wall tent/stove combo in WA for week+ hunts.

The best for my "car" camping; Kodiak 10x10 canvas. Handles all my solo adventures with comfort, ease of set up/take down, lots of ez, tall interior space for just myself.
Performed great over the holidays/past week in AZ archery hunting.
downside; it packs bulky, weighs about 70lbs with poles and needs to be stored dry as its canvas.
but handled the AZ freezing cold, rain, freezing rain, snow blizzard all great...with no tarp over it.

Kodiak canvas 10x10 for me to, going on 2 years now with mine, awesome tent. this thing should last for many years. very impressed with mine.

Fatcamp

WKR
That USMC 2-man looks like a solid option. At ten pounds more than we could pack with. Used Cabela's Alaska Guide dome, Kodiak, and a Kelty Grand Mesa 2. All have their pluses and minuses. In general when traveling we really like the smaller tent. For a day or two it's great, especially if the weather is nice. The Guide is able to weather anything and has the dome vestibule to run a heater and cook in. The Kodiak takes the most time to deal with, but is obviously a great option for extended stays.

Looking hard at the Stormbreak 3 as an option we could carry for an overnight with a little more room and two doors over our Kelty.

I have a Coleman instant tent, and it does work pretty well, although I'm not a big tent fan in general (prefer hammock camping). I've had it out in rain and sleet, and used it down to at/below freezing. *Definitely* seam-seal it though, as someone else mentioned. With some versions it's also possible to buy a rain fly, although the coverage isn't great.

*zap*

WKR
That USMC 2-man looks like a solid option. At ten pounds more than we could pack with. Used Cabela's Alaska Guide dome, Kodiak, and a Kelty Grand Mesa 2. All have their pluses and minuses. In general when traveling we really like the smaller tent. For a day or two it's great, especially if the weather is nice. The Guide is able to weather anything and has the dome vestibule to run a heater and cook in. The Kodiak takes the most time to deal with, but is obviously a great option for extended stays.

Looking hard at the Stormbreak 3 as an option we could carry for an overnight with a little more room and two doors over our Kelty.

USMC 2 is an awesome tent. Fly only mode is a great light option. You use the quick pitch straps to secure the poles to the right configuration and I have used just two of the three poles a few times with no problem. Just use a trek pole to prop up near the main entry. Small piece of refletix between the top of the trek pole and the fly. So fly. two tent poles, 8 stakes. Fairly light, good room, stout poles/fly....add a light tarp footprint if you like. This winter I may custom cut a light tarp and add pole grommets to use with this set up from now on.