Recommendation for first aid kit…..off the shelf?

repins05

WKR
Looking for an over the counter first aid kit For my pack. something small and light but also maxing first aid. Not concerned about cost. Recommendations? Thx.

cmahoney

WKR
I haven’t seen one that works for me. I’d start with these if your worried about bleeding. Or add an Israeli bandage instead of a compression bandage. The weight of a small tourniquet is worth the piece of mind for me. Especially when I’m wielding a Havalon on a 30 degree slope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
R

repins05

WKR
I haven’t seen one that works for me. I’d start with these if your worried about bleeding. Or add an Israeli bandage instead of a compression bandage. The weight of a small tourniquet is worth the piece of mind for me. Especially when I’m wielding a Havalon on a 30 degree slope.

tourniquet is a must have. will Order one of these today. Kits I have been looking at don’t seem to have one…or if they do kit overall very heavy. Thx

cmahoney

WKR
I have those items, Luko tape, a few bandaids and a small container with misc pills. Definitely Benadryl liquid capsules in the event of an allergic reaction. I don’t carry much else.

S-3 ranch

WKR
tourniquet is a must have. will Order one of these today. Kits I have been looking at don’t seem to have one…or if they do kit overall very heavy. Thx
“” a tourniquet is used “only” as a last resort since it may “cause gangrene” and “may require surgical amputation of the limb.” The handbook also advises that in the event that a tourniquet must be used, that it should be loosened in “five minute”

I have a extensive 1st aid kit with compression bandage, lots of burn cream, tons of bandaid, tape , pain med, Advil
a 1st aid kit of any help is about $100

fjmcguigan

Lil-Rokslider
I carry Quikclot and a CAT tourniquet where it’s easily accessible. Then keep some bandaids, super glue, tape and other small stuff buried in my pack.

North American rescue and rescue essentials both sell all on one kits.

cmahoney

WKR
“” a tourniquet is used “only” as a last resort since it may “cause gangrene” and “may require surgical amputation of the limb.” The handbook also advises that in the event that a tourniquet must be used, that it should be loosened in “five minute”

I have a extensive 1st aid kit with compression bandage, lots of burn cream, tons of bandaid, tape , pain med, Advil

So no on the tourniquet?

If solo, always have a fillet glove or two. Cheap insurance to reduce the risk of a nasty cut. This is especially true for those who are on blood thinners.

OP
R

repins05

WKR
I’d say yes on the tourniquet. Up to you though. For an already built minimalist FAK I think these aren’t bad.
I agree on the tourniquet. Also understand that risk is involved with using one. Thinking in worse case situation and can't getting bleeding under control etc.

cmahoney

WKR
I agree on the tourniquet. Also understand that risk is involved with using one. Thinking in worse case situation and can't getting bleeding under control etc.

Definitely, gangrene is my last concern if I have an arterial bleed that will kill me in 10 minutes. In my opinion, a CAT or SOF may be better tourney than the one I linked l, but I carry the rapid one because I can use it on my kids, it’s small and light weight.

Carry the tourniquet but also go take one of these classes. Invaluable in my opinion. And you will be up to date on the latest science. For example: loosening the tourniquet is not the correct advised practice. I am not qualified to give the specifics, but the class is free and these people are.

eamyrick

WKR

This is the most outdated, backward info I have read in a long time. TQs have been applied in combat medicine for the last 15 years. There is tons of data from them in place for 24 hours plus with no I’ll effect. I have personally been a part of tons of real world applications and there has been nothing but life saving goodness.

kpbrown31

FNG

We used tourniquets daily in the operating room on many extremity surgeries. Often 90-120 minutes straight, and then a 5 min deflate period if needed. Sometimes longer than 120 min, but that's typically the "standard" in the literature.

ztc92

Lil-Rokslider
I work in healthcare and when I went to get a first aid kit I researched this extensively a few years ago. I didn’t find anything that was well equipped for the price and most were either missing key items or had wayyyyyy too much stuff to be practical (100+ band-aids, really?).

I agree with others above, adventure medical kits does a nice job and is probably the best equipped readily available first aid kit I was able to find. I did buy one of their kits but quickly modified it for what I wanted. The stuff it came with was good quality and the bag is well made, which I still use. If you bought the kit linked above, as well as their “Trauma Pack” and a CAT Tourniquet you’d have just about everything you could want in an over the counter package, though it would be more expensive and bulky than a DIY kit.

For a DIY kit Andrew Skurka’s list is a good starting point and good thought process. It’s backpacking-centric so I add a few items for hunting and personal preference.

He also makes a good point about training. CPR at a bare minimum

kpk

WKR
I use one of the adventure medical kit bags with my own stuff in it. A few things for blisters, super glue, tapes, etc. I also carry a CAT in an easily accessible pack pocket and a quick clot gauze in my kill kit.