Recommendation for Shotgun Gunsmith

blake_mhoona

Lil-Rokslider
Background: I bought an old 1960's Dakin Model 160 20 gauge Side-by-Side last year in fair shape. I used it almost exclusively in my first year of running dog trials this year. I tried shooting other guns and I just did not hit birds as consistently as I did with this old gun. When I bought it the barrels needed re-bluing in a bad way, the action had a lot of play in it, and the stock shows a few gaps where the action meets. I know I was working with borrowed time and planned to use it as long as I could. But I didn't want to potentially lose birds learning to shoot a new gun. Well this past weekend was our regional championship and on our last bird till the fall season the right barrel didn't fire. So I almost timed it perfectly lol.

I think I want to send it off to get worked on. I know the gun is more than likely not worth much, and will not be worth what I potentially will put into repairing it, but does anyone have any recommendations for a place that can work on older double guns. And more importantly guns that parts may or may not be available? Any idea what kind of bill I'd be looking at? Or is it just a lost cause and I need to find a new gun I feel confident with?

czyolman

FNG
Simmonds isn't cheap, but offer repair estimates, etc. & they've been at it a long time.

simmondsguns.com

WRO

WKR
I don't guess i knew Orvis did gunsmithing. but both of those options seem to be extremely high for a cheap gun i won't to bring back to life.

If you like the gun, make sure it get's fixed right.

Coles is probably the best for shotguns in the nation.

Briley has a gunsmithing shop as well.

I would look at the Barrels for marking as well, some of the Daikins were made by A. Zoli and Darne, those were actually darn good guns and the Darne ones are worth some money. In my rabbit hole I went down on my O/U search, I learned that a lot of the 60's and 70's import O/U and S/S shotguns were actually made by great builders like A. Zoli, Cesar Guerini, B.Rizzini, etc. If you were going to buy a Zoli or Darne, they're big money.

OP
B

blake_mhoona

Lil-Rokslider
If you like the gun, make sure it get's fixed right.

Coles is probably the best for shotguns in the nation.

Briley has a gunsmithing shop as well.

I would look at the Barrels for marking as well, some of the Daikins were made by A. Zoli and Darne, those were actually darn good guns and the Darne ones are worth some money. In my rabbit hole I went down on my O/U search, I learned that a lot of the 60's and 70's import O/U and S/S shotguns were actually made by great builders like A. Zoli, Cesar Guerini, B.Rizzini, etc. If you were going to buy a Zoli or Darne, they're big money.
it has Gaspar Arizaga-Eibar Spain on the barrels. Importer Dakin Gun Company San Francisco

slvrslngr

WKR
Can’t help you with a smith but if you hit birds with it, it’s worth whatever you put into it.

MtnW

Lil-Rokslider
Marks Born Again Birdguns
if he doesn’t have time he may be able to refer you to someone qualified

spc7669

Lil-Rokslider
Also try Bill Schwartz in Ellijay, GA. He did a full restoration on my Fox and it’s flawless.