Recommendations/advice for crossbow setup for archery seasons out West

OP
O
I just got some stuff from Wyvern. They cut the BEE down to 16.5" (I shoot an Excalibur Micro 340TD) and I wish they wouldn't have... I think I could chew them off at 16.5" straighter than they were cut... It was really bad "workmanship". It took me FOREVER to get them to square on each end with my G5 ASD. Finally got everything square and epoxied the inserts. Will fletch tonight and will give you a report in the next couple of days on the BEE vs the "stock" arrows that came with the bow.

Sorry to hear about the mess you received from Wyvern. Did you order some of their Custom Premium Excalibur Arrows (https://www.wyverncreations.com/finished-arrows-c-82/custom-premium-excalibur-arrows-p-946.html ) or something else?

The above link is the ones that I am strongly considering giving a try for the price as they have 6 Executioners with the inserts installed and flat nocks pressed in (both supposively squared off) and helical fletching for $50 or for $8 more one can get the Zombie Slayer. This seems like about the best deal I have been able to find, but if that is what you ordered that is concerning. I dont have any experience working on arrows and dont really have the time to learn at the moment so am needing something good to at least get me through this season. I was planning on buying a dozen but may just want to try a half dozen to see how they arrive.

Yes, please do let me know how they work for you now, I assume they should be good since you fixed them but would love to hear what you think after shooting them a bit.

Fullfan

WKR
May I ask what unit were you hunting?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
Yeah I am not really looking forward to fiddling with attaching it to my backpack and hiking around with it for days on end as it seems kind of ackward. I will be weighing everything when I am ready to assemble the final setup but would image it will come in at at least 8 pounds unfortunately like you say. At least my main hunting rifle is nearly 9 pounds so in that sence it will be similar. That Raven R20 looks like a really nice crossbow. Are you able to use a scope in Idaho or a red dot etc.? Do you have any experiece with the HHA Optimizer? Also, what type of arrow setup are you using for elk? Thanks for the comments.

I have used a Safari sling and a regular sling and both did not work well. Bought the Raven Back Pack sling to try this fall. I used the scope that came with the Raven, not sure about a red dot though.

As far as the Bolts, I am shooting Black eagle's from Jerry at South Shore. LIL expensive but do group better at 50 than the factory Raven bolts. He indexes the spines and will do what you ask. For broadheads I'm shooting the Magnus Black hornet Serrazor. They shoot spot on out to 70yds. That is as far as I have shot them. I have also removed my Raven quiver when hutung. It gets in the way when the Raven is slung.

OP
O
I have used a Safari sling and a regular sling and both did not work well. Bought the Raven Back Pack sling to try this fall. I used the scope that came with the Raven, not sure about a red dot though.

As far as the Bolts, I am shooting Black eagle's from Jerry at South Shore. LIL expensive but do group better at 50 than the factory Raven bolts. He indexes the spines and will do what you ask. For broadheads I'm shooting the Magnus Black hornet Serrazor. They shoot spot on out to 70yds. That is as far as I have shot them. I have also removed my Raven quiver when hutung. It gets in the way when the Raven is slung.

Thanks for the information. My hunt will be a multi-day backpack hunt so I'll just have the crossbow strapped to the back of the pack. I have an old gun bearer that I will probably rig up to support the buttstock. I was planning on detaching the quiver and strapping it to the top of the pack somehow, haven't got the crossbow assembled yet so haven't messed with it any further than that.

Yeah, the South Shore Archery arrows seem pretty popular but like you said they are expensive. I had emailed them as I am somewhat interested in their Spynal Tapp but they could take up to four weeks to ship and that is probably cutting it too close so I'm leaning towards trying the Wyvern Creations Custom Premium Excalibur arrows and using their version of the BE Zombie Slayer and a QAD Exodus 125 grain broadhead if it groups ok to put me at about 450 grains total with a 20" shaft. What type of total arrow weight are you shooting with your crossbow for elk? Thanks.

WKR
My BEE'S shot really well tonight.3" group at 50 yards would be my estimate. My arrows are too light though. Around 390 grains. I would like to be close to 450 but don't want to drop out of the bottom of the speed range for my scope. I think i can add some weight to the back of the insert and will report back.

AK - glad to see you‘re also now active on crossbow nation and also getting some very good feedback there. Certainly a wealth of tips and techniques. Now he challenge is info overload and folks offering conflicting advice. A lot will be trial and error and finding out what works for you. Some guys are tech aficionados and strive for the latest/greatest tricked out rig and are always tinkering/tweaking. Although I find the weapons intriguing my focus is on setting up the most functional rig I can for hunting. I prefer things that can take a beating and simple to operate in a rugged field environment.

WKR
Ah ha!

I pulled some 50 grain FACT weights from some old gold tip arrows, so now I'm up to 440 grains.

I was shooting just under 330 fps before (I think 330 fps based on scope speed dial setting, not measured) and we'll see how these hunting weight arrows fly tomorrow. Not sure how much speed I'll lose with the addition of 50 grains up front.

OP
O
My BEE'S shot really well tonight.3" group at 50 yards would be my estimate. My arrows are too light though. Around 390 grains. I would like to be close to 450 but don't want to drop out of the bottom of the speed range for my scope. I think i can add some weight to the back of the insert and will report back.

Thanks for letting me know how the did for you after you redid most the work from the sounds of it. Did you order there "Custom Premium Excalibur Arrows" (https://www.wyverncreations.com/finished-arrows-c-82/custom-premium-excalibur-arrows-p-946.html ), or a different option? I am probably going to go ahead and try those in that option in the above link in either a BE Executioner or Zombie Slayer, but hopefully don't run into the sloppy workmanship you received. I would be very happy with 3" groups at 50 yards.

OP
O
Ah ha!

I pulled some 50 grain FACT weights from some old gold tip arrows, so now I'm up to 440 grains.

I was shooting just under 330 fps before (I think 330 fps based on scope speed dial setting, not measured) and we'll see how these hunting weight arrows fly tomorrow. Not sure how much speed I'll lose with the addition of 50 grains up front.

Nice, yes please let me know how they continue to shoot for you. Thanks.

OP
O
AK - glad to see you‘re also now active on crossbow nation and also getting some very good feedback there. Certainly a wealth of tips and techniques. Now he challenge is info overload and folks offering conflicting advice. A lot will be trial and error and finding out what works for you. Some guys are tech aficionados and strive for the latest/greatest tricked out rig and are always tinkering/tweaking. Although I find the weapons intriguing my focus is on setting up the most functional rig I can for hunting. I prefer things that can take a beating and simple to operate in a rugged field environment.

Thanks, I have received some good information there as well as here. Main thing at this point is an arrow setup. Think I will most likely try these https://www.wyverncreations.com/finished-arrows-c-82/custom-premium-excalibur-arrows-p-946.html , they use the 2" Blazer vanes in high helical setup and I contacted David at Wyvern and he said that was no problem and that they shot well out of the Excaliburs I guess maybe since they are only 2" vanes helical is fine? The other option seems to be South Shore Archery and try their Spynal Tapps but they would take roughly a month and possibly longer to receive so that is cutting it too close for my season. I am buying some of the QAD Exodus 125 grain broadheads you recommended as my first choice and hopefully won't have to look any further for a broadhead.

I hate fiddling with my gear, and have honestly been dreading messing with learning about all this stuff to get the goofy crossbow setup and working. Thus wanting one arrow setup heavy enough for elk on down so I dont have to mess with stuff for quite some time. I agree, simple, rugged, and reliable are what I am interested in as well and I take really good care of my gear too.

WKR
The BEE's with an extra 50 grains up front were excellent this morning. I lost just a little bit of speed, far less than I expected. Was shooting within tennis ball group with pretty much every shot at 50 yards.

Black Eagle Executioner
16.5" carbon shaft (148.5 gr)
110 grain brass insert
50 grain FACT weight
100 grain field tip
Blazer vanes (3) - Right helical (Bitzenburger jig/clamp)
Plastic flat nock from BE

Total Arrow Weight 440 grains (weighed)

148.5 gr shaft
110 gr insert
50 gr FACT weight
100 gr field tip
18 gr vanes (6 ea)
8 gr plastic nock
5.5 gr glue/epoxy?

440 total weighed arrow

Very happy with how these flew/grouped even without nock tuning them yet, which will be the next step, followed by replacing the "rail vane" with a unique color as to make it easier in the field.

Then to decide about an aluminum or lighted nock???

Broadhead???

And finally, field tuning with broadheads.

WKR
Adding a lighted nock would add 27 grains (8 for plastic, 35 for lighted).

That would put me at a total arrow weight approx 465 grains travelling in the 320's feet per second.

OP
O
The BEE's with an extra 50 grains up front were excellent this morning. I lost just a little bit of speed, far less than I expected. Was shooting within tennis ball group with pretty much every shot at 50 yards.

Black Eagle Executioner
16.5" carbon shaft (148.5 gr)
110 grain brass insert
50 grain FACT weight
100 grain field tip
Blazer vanes (3) - Right helical (Bitzenburger jig/clamp)
Plastic flat nock from BE

Total Arrow Weight 440 grains (weighed)

148.5 gr shaft
110 gr insert
50 gr FACT weight
100 gr field tip
18 gr vanes (6 ea)
8 gr plastic nock
5.5 gr glue/epoxy?

440 total weighed arrow

Very happy with how these flew/grouped even without nock tuning them yet, which will be the next step, followed by replacing the "rail vane" with a unique color as to make it easier in the field.

Then to decide about an aluminum or lighted nock???

Broadhead???

And finally, field tuning with broadheads.

Thanks for the detailed breakdown on your arrow build. Sounds like a great setup, I will be very pleased if I can get that sort of consistent accuracy at 50 yards with my setup this summer.

OP
O
Adding a lighted nock would add 27 grains (8 for plastic, 35 for lighted).

That would put me at a total arrow weight approx 465 grains travelling in the 320's feet per second.

I just ordered some custom Spynal Tapps from Jerry at South Shore Archery as most have recommended. I should end up with a 450 grain arrow using a 125 grain fixed blade broadhead. Plan to use the QAD Exodus. No idea what kind of velocity I'll be getting.

What crossbow are you using with those weights and speeds? Thanks.

WKR
I have the Excalibur 340 TD.

I think you made the right call on the arrows. I bought components from Wyvern and built the arrows myself. It takes a lot of specialized tools/equipment to do that which I'm guessing you don't have.

The way they cut them was pretty shoddy IMO, but otherwise I've been fairly happy with my Wyvern interractions.

OP
O
I have the Excalibur 340 TD.

I think you made the right call on the arrows. I bought components from Wyvern and built the arrows myself. It takes a lot of specialized tools/equipment to do that which I'm guessing you don't have.

The way they cut them was pretty shoddy IMO, but otherwise I've been fairly happy with my Wyvern interractions.

Yeah I definitely am not in a position to be trying to build my own at this point although maybe in the future or just stick with South Shore Archery.

I am kind of having second thoughts on my total arrow weight though. I think I maybe should have asked for a 350 grain arrow build minus the broadhead so that I could add a 125 grain broadhead and be at 475 total arrow weight, rather than asking for 325 grains built and using the 125gr broadhead to get to 450 grains total. May want to call in the morning and see if I can have them bump up the arrow weight those extra 25 grains by adding weight to the front insert.

Don't know that 25 grains is worth even messing with or if I shouldnt worry about it and just shoot it as is. Just want to make sure I have a good weight/velocity balance for elk and anything smaller so I dont have to change anything regardless of the hunt/species.

Last edited:

Fullfan

WKR
The black Eagles are the Spinal Tapps, weight is around 430, the R20 slings them through the crono at 416-418 fps.

The guys aw Wyvern Creations build some great bolts. I bought three of the Fire Nocks from them. Another expensive item. But seem to work well.

WKR
One more potentially helpful thing. Carrying these damn things is a pain. I've attached a sling to mine, but it's top heavy and a bit awkward on the sling. I turned it upside down, putting the "top" of the sling towards the stock of the bow. It carries MUCH better this way.

OP
O
The black Eagles are the Spinal Tapps, weight is around 430, the R20 slings them through the crono at 416-418 fps.

The guys aw Wyvern Creations build some great bolts. I bought three of the Fire Nocks from them. Another expensive item. But seem to work well.

Thanks for letting me know, that is a fast arrow. Nice to hear you are happy with the arrows you have bought from Wyvern. I plan to order some stuff from them this week, after I research a few more things.

OP
O
One more potentially helpful thing. Carrying these damn things is a pain. I've attached a sling to mine, but it's top heavy and a bit awkward on the sling. I turned it upside down, putting the "top" of the sling towards the stock of the bow. It carries MUCH better this way.

Yeah seems like they can be a bit unwieldy. Thanks for the tip on the sling, I will just be carrying it around strapped to my backpack for this hunt.

Reactions: 307
OP
O
Do any of you guys use some type of fabric cover to go over the string/cables/cams and limb tips to protect them on backpack hunts? I know they sell all kinds of covers for guys with vertical compound bows, but hadn't found anything for crossbows that was simple and lightweight especially. With the Excalibur I just have the string to protect, but figured it might be worth getting a piece of 500D cordura or the like, and setting it up with some small plastic buckles to wrap around the string and limp tips and buckle secure around the limbs to help protect the string while getting packed around the backcountry on the back of my pack.

Last edited: