Recommendations for a 2 person canoe or kayak

Clovis

Lil-Rokslider
It is very different from what you are considering in the Brooklyn kayak, but for that same weight and probably a lot less $ you can get an extremely versatile used 16-17 foot Royalex canoe--think OId Town Tripper/Penobscot or Mad River Explorer/revelation. Check your local Craigslist. I have a good amount of experience in canoes and kayaks but for almost any purpose (except maybe fishing saltwater or where you are worried about high winds) I think a "prospector" style canoe will serve you well--relatively light, more or less indestructible and suitable for everything from an hour long paddle with the kids to running rapids or week long camping trips. Just my 2 cents.

Artanis95

Lil-Rokslider
I bought a 16ft royalex canoe last year it comes in at about 80lbs and will carry 1,100 a middle of the road do all keel. Royalex is buoyant so even if it gets a hole knocked in it it won't "sink" like fiberglass or aluminum so you're more likely to be able recover your gear.

Artanis95

Lil-Rokslider
Also canoes are like coolers many different brands only a few manufacturers some can have pretty hefty price differences for the exact same unit with a different sticker and trim package on the side.

JR Greenhorn

Lil-Rokslider
Not sure where you all are from, but I'm from MN, and canoes are a pretty big deal around here. Many of us do annual or multiple-per-year trips to the Boundary Waters, with 10-20 mile days on flatwater.

The tip about Ely, MN outfitters selling off used outfitting canoes is a great one. They usually go on sale in October. Some pre-sell with pick-up in October. Start with Piragis to get a feel for what's available, then find other Boundary Waters outfitters to catch a deal. Rutabaga in WI is another place to check for good buys. The best canoe deals are on any MN Craigslist, but they go quickly.

Unless you're going to bash it in river rapids, Kevlar is the way to go. My Souris River Quetico 18.5' weighs 49 lbs with 2 seats. Even with the 3rd seat, folding backrests and cushy portage pads I have, it's still less than 55 lbs. We can average 4mph in it, and have GPS'd it paddling at over 7mph. We've carried it down the the Grand Portage, over 8.5 miles.

Unlike most Kevlar canoes, Souris River uses epoxy resin instead of vinylester. It makes them more flexible, and they'll hold up to stupid abuse on the water. The worst damage to Kevlar canoes happens on land. Souris River canoes are very stable, have decently good glide, but aren't the sleekest. They're the most versatile Kevlar canoe.

We've rented at least 5 different models of Wenonah, but have never found one we'd seek out again. Wenonah's are great compared to anything non-Kevlar, but they're not that great compared to other Kevlar canoes. They are easily the most common Kevlar canoe, so they're kind of the default choice.

Ted Bell, now called Nothstar canoes are the best. The Northwind models have the sleekest, smoothest, most maneuverable (of non-whitewater canoes) hull shapes. They have fantastic glide and are a dream to paddle. They have shorter freeboard so they catch less wind and are lighter than other Kevlars. We seek them out to rent every year. The B-models aren't as sleek, but still paddle great. A Bell won't take the abuse a Souris River will, but they'll reward you for taking care of them. Primary stability doesn't seem as good at first as it actually is, but secondary stability is good. If I buy another canoe, it'll be a Bell Northwind.

One thing to keep in mind, is length is your friend in a canoe, unless you're paddling small windy rivers. More length gives you more efficient glide, straighter tracking, easier steering (less J-stroking), more fore-aft stability, more load capacity, more room, and faster cruising and top speeds. The tradeoff is more weight (but not as much as you'd think), less manoeuverability in tight spaces, and more work to do tight space manoeuvers. We think 18-19' 3-man canoes are the sweet spot for lakes. Most common are 17' 2-man canoes. A 20.5' 4-man cruises like an ocean liner, but is difficult to launch and land. 16' are river canoes, not serious lake canoes.

Finally, whatever you decide on, don't buy a canoe without getting some good, wood Bending Branches paddles. It's amazing the difference they make compared to plastic paddles. I like a 7 degree bent shaft, but 11 degree is more common these days. Nobody wants a straight shaft after thy get used to a bent shaft. Once you have some, never pry-stroke them against the gunwales, and never stick either end into the ground.

Fordguy

WKR
I have a lifetime sportfisher kayak, 10' long, tunnel hull design. Sit on top, 2 person, very stable, stand up and fish or even jump off and climb back on. I doubt you could flip it if you tried (in any reasonable water). I think the capacity is 500lbs or a bit more. Paddling is ok, doesn't track as well as a longer kayak or canoe, but a trolling motor will move you along very nicely. Its not very heavy, easy to toss in the truck bed or roof rack, strap in and go. It's definitely less than 80 lbs.