Recommendations for an Orange, Fixed Blade Hunting Knife Needed

Beendare

WKR
Key to a good knife is the steel and rockwell hardness.

D2, A2 and the new particle steels by CPM and Carpenter make excellent processing knives.

I can bone out 2 elk with a S30v blade. I have the benchmade Steep country in orange, its very good. [Best if you and if you stone down the metal tabs on the top of the handle] The scabbard is fine.

Another option would be the Spyderco Manix folder with orange handle and S90V steel---one of the best steels made. Its a great knife for the $$.

I think i'm going a different route this year...a Spyderco mule in PMA 11 another one of the best steels made [same as CPM 10v Phil Wilson uses] that I made scales to be a dedicated Lefty
82983B66-7A3D-4D79-BED5-24F0C53EC25E.jpg
04CFC22C-ACA1-4330-8310-88587BF77F00.jpg

robtattoo

WKR
It's not a full tang and you're not gunna split wood or a chest cavity...

Victorinox Paring Knifes (~$5.00) and drill out the handle.

They're cheap, hold and edge, come in colors, but you may need a pocket sharpener.

I'm not a fan of the Hav's... although they get the job done, flimsy blades that break and cut up my hands without discretion. A lot of pain for little gain.

This. So much this.
I generally carry a blaze Orange knife I made myself (I did it for a living before I moved to the US...) but if I'm ounce counting, my pink handled Victorinox paring knife is my preference. I carry a dogbone ceramic crock stick with me so regular touch ups are a breeze & frankly, for $7 including the sheath, I'm not going to cry much if I leave it in a gutpile.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
So, do you any of you have thoughts on those two choices, or recommendations for something else that fits my criteria?

Thanks in advance!

[h=1][/h]
Have boxes full of knives. A lot of them custom or quite expensive factory knives with “super” steel. The knife that gets chosen more than any other is a Morakniv. Light, durable, easily resharpened, and non-slip. Also inexpensive. After a couple experiences, I do not use super steels anymore on field knives as they can’t be resharpened in the field. D2 tool steel, good stainless, etc. is what I prefer.

The Morakniv Bushcraft Survival is a really solid knife....

OP
Crusader

Crusader

WKR
That Morakniv Bushcraft orange looks like a pretty good knife, seems to get good reviews. At only a little over 1/3 the price of the Benchmade Steep Country, it is a real viable option. The Mora blade is about 20% longer, which I kind of like. It’s a different steel and not full tang like the Steep Country. What are the pros and cons between these two knives, especially that steel? Am I at any kind of disadvantage with the Mora? Any other thoughts from you “knife guys” regarding these two options?

mcseal2

WKR
It will likely be a softer stainless than the Benchmade. Easier to sharpen, but easier to dull. I haven't had any of Mora's stainless knives but their carbon steel knives are that way. They hold a decent edge, sharpen easy. The Benchmade will hold an edge a long time but takes a little better sharpener and more time to get the edge back on when it dulls. I prefer a full tang on any fixed blade that might get used hard, which for me is about any knife I'd carry hunting.

It isn't orange, but the white/black handle on the Benchmade Saddle Mountain skinner hasn't been an issue for me to spot on the ground and it's a longer blade if you want that.

wildcat33

WKR
Another option in the cheap-and-functional category that Ive grown to like a lot is the pendleton lite hunter. Its not orange, but they are inexpensive, butcher well, and easy to sharpen. That combined with a replaceable blade (i use gerber vital) makes for a very lightweight kill kit.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I’ve lost way too many knives :(

Sargent Edged Tools (along with a disposable blade knife) is what I’m using now

zG9Mhyy.jpg

Last edited:

NVVAHunt

Lil-Rokslider
I agree with the ESEE recommendations. Holds a good egde, tough as nails, and easy to resharpen and touch up an edge quickly if needed. The 3 is well within your budget

Amazon.com : ESEE 3 Plain Edge OD Blades with Orange G10 Handles and Black Sheath : Fixed Blade Tool Knives : Home Improvement

But if you want to save a coupe bucks and a little weight the Izula is a great choice. You can get handles for it if you want also

Amazon.com : ESEE Desert Tan Izula Knife w/ Sheath : Fixed Blade Camping Knives : Home Improvement

Idahomnts

Lil-Rokslider
Outdoors swing blade , good knife , swing blade works good enough to justify packing it along with my havalon piranha

PredatorX

WKR
The cutco is the most comfortable knife I have ever had in my hands.

78445ab27d3536ecc8a7166a7ca034b4.jpg

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Jimss

WKR
I"ve tried a bunch of different knives. My alltime favorite is Outdoor Edge replacement blade knives. I tried havolins for a couple seasons and didn't like how easy the blades snapped. In fact, I almost had a horrible accident on an Alaska dall sheep hunt after my blade snapped and it almost went into my hand! I've used Victornox knives for quite a few years. They are super light and sharpen pretty easily. The only problem is they loose their edge fairly quickly. Outdoor Edge knives do an amazing job of boning out plus caping game. In fact, I just returned from Alaska and boned caped a moose and mtn goat with it. The blades are super sharp and actually keep their edge for quite a while. If you've ever worked on mtn goats and moose you know how tough their hides will dull a blade! Outdoor Edge worked like a dream! The other nice thing about them is they only cost around $30 for the knife and $15 for a set of replacement blades!

Essee Izula is pretty fantastic. I've had one since before they were Instafamous. Really saved me last year being able to baton wood for a fire. They do dull quick so you need to pack a sharpener. Or buy the stainless. Not a boning knife. I use it as my main knife and for skinning. Then use a Tyto for boning and what not.
95122e1c92cd02e617fae5282413707c.jpg

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk