Recommendations for Camp Rain Cover

feldy0725

FNG
Going to CO in Mid Sept for OTC Bow Hunt. Looking for recommendations on camp rain cover or DIY camp shelter. I have seen the Sitka shelter on Camofire multiple times but didnt pull trigger...we are planning to pack in with horses 1-3 miles.

Clovis

Lil-Rokslider
Can you clarify if you looking for a tarp to cover a kitchen/camp area or a shelter?

Welcome.
not exactly sure if it suits your needs. Big fan of seek outside DST. It is a very versatile 10x10 and I have used it as a solo and duo shelter as well as a tarp to cover the camp sitting area for a crew of 3-4.

rayporter

WKR
dont forget to take a tarp to cover horse gear and feed.
and if you do take feed get your horses used to nose bags. they dont waste any feed with nose bags on.

OP
F

feldy0725

FNG
dont forget to take a tarp to cover horse gear and feed.
and if you do take feed get your horses used to nose bags. they dont waste any feed with nose bags on.
thank you sir. yes we have a regular ole tarp for the horse feed and tack...

sram9102

WKR
I have a Winter Haven from Simply Light Designs that would probably work for what you have explained. They have a variety of sizes and would probably make you whatever you want. Mine has served as a tent, hammock rainfly, seating area, etc. Pretty versatile.

Clovis

Lil-Rokslider
If the big poly tarp doesn't suit your needs, Cooke Custom Sewing makes a really nice big 15 x15 square sil-nylon tarp that is lighter and well thought out.

thegrouse

Lil-Rokslider
I use a 10' square tarp. I can pitch it taut with poles, I also have a 16' square but I can never get to pitch that one taut. It seems to sag

I use a simple 8x10 flat tarp from BearPaw Wilderness Designs as the OP described. It was the lightest cheapest option at the time I made my purchase. No regrets so far

I use a simple 8x10 flat tarp from BearPaw Wilderness Designs as the OP described. It was the lightest cheapest option at the time I made my purchase. No regrets so far

I have a Besr Paw also but I had him stitch some tie outs in the center of the panels for pitching it in a lean to type set up. I love it and it's shaken some pretty intense rain and held up great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rayporter

WKR
i have a 12x12 nylon something or other brand that has made a lot of trips. i used to keep 3 bungee cords on it and you could pitch it in a flash when needed. for 2 i liked a diamond pitch.

if you opt for the blue poly dont unpack it. you can never repack one as small as they come.