Recommendations for cooking a moose roast.

grfox92

WKR
Having some folks over for dinner tonight and I have a 3 lb 2-in thick bottom round moose roast.

How I would typically cook this type of meat would be at 275 in the oven until it hits temperature. Then I would pull it and sear in a cast iron pan.

Curious as to any other ways people cook a lean roast like this looking to try something new.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Bl704

WKR
A few options or inspirations (first two not to a particular temp, slow cooker all day on low will be done.

Mississippi roast recipe

Some rub on the external, sear (I like a grill). Mirepoix (onion, celery, carrot) or various veg (I like root veg)... Couple cups of wine /stock. Cover.

Treat it like a flank steak, works great with Chuck roasts or other cut thinner (couple inch thick) roasts . Literally I throw some garlic & rosemary in a ziploc, some olive oil, steak/roast. Squeeze air out and seal. With your first, pound (yes, you're beating your meat)...the rosemary and garlic are worked into the muscle, fibers are broken up... I also like to grill it...make sure to let it rest 10 minutes before slicing / serving.

Last edited:

Okbow87

Lil-Rokslider
The way you typically do it is the best way. I like to rub the outside with some type of oil first to help the heavy salt and pepper stick and keep it from drying out too much. I like peanut oil because it won't burn when you sear it later and give an off flavor. Let it get a good rest and then slice.

ODB

WKR
Hank Shaw's Chilindron: https://honest-food.net/spanish-chilindron-stew/

One of my favorites. It's a one-pot, long cooker - good for cooking in the background while you hang out.

A tip on browning the meat.... don;t do like every cook says - dump oil in the pan then put meat in it.

After you salt the meat, pat it dry and toss the meat on all sides lightly with avocado oil. Don't put a drop in the pan. Get the pan hot then set the meat in deliberately. It will stick initially, but when it releases, it's perfect. Turn to an un-browned side (which will already have a skosh of oil on it) and keep at it. I hate the popping and splashing of oil puddles.

Holmes

Lil-Rokslider
Pretty perfect advice above, I think. In addition to barbacoa, carnitas-style (they're sorta similar) works very well. I've done both within the past 10 days.

I'll say this: in my limited experience cooking very lean meat from big mammals. It either needs to be very fast and very hot - sear it and leave it rare inside - like on a cast iron pan or in a hot grill.
OR
very low and wet. I've done big pieces of moose in a crock pot and in a pressure cooker. I don't know why, but the pressure cooker results are *much* better. Same basic recipe, pressure cooker meat for an hour~ish was less dry and less tough than in a crockpot all day long.

I have not had good luck with either oven roasting, or with longer time on a grill.

[Edit to add: good advice above on how to manage oil for a good sear and specifically to use an oil with a really high smoke point]

Last edited:

Kobuk

Lil-Rokslider
I'm not a chef but we cook a lot of moose. One of the biggest differences I have noticed is the cooking methods. My least favorite is the slow cooker. The meet seems to be the toughest. For christmas we got a insta pot or just any pressure cooker. It breaks down the muscle pretty good, better than the slow cooker but doesn't do much with the connective tissue. It's advantage is the shorter cook time. The best by far is a dutch oven cooked low and slow, like 225ish. It breaks down the meat, tender, and also breaks down the connective tissues and stays moister(?). Not sure why it works so much better than the other methods but it is very different. A couple of my favorite things are the ribs on bone and shanks. With the dutch oven they are amazing but not so with either pressure cooking or slow cooker. I guess my favorite roast is to salt and pepper it, sear it, pull out, cook down some onion, celery and garlic, deglaze pan with wine or sherry, make a stock, add some rosemary, thyme and bay leaf, put it all back together into pot and cook for 5-6 hrs at 225. You can add spuds and carrots for the last hourish or better yet cook them seperate. I will save the stock and make a soup with the left over meat for the next day. All of the other recipes are great too. I think it's time for some osso bucco!

The low and slow is great, but in my experience you also want it sitting in some stock or wine or something of that sort. Think more of a braise. I've had issues with moose and bison being pretty dry and not too tender without some supplemental liquid to cook in. Good luck!

mwebs

WKR
Crock pot needs liquid. Get the crock pot hot, throw some butter, onions and garlic and sweat it. Season the roast, you can sear if you want. Pour a can of your favorite beer, some stock and some mustard in the crock pot. Put the roast in, set it low and go hunting or fishing. Get home and enjoy the best roast you’ll ever taste.

OP
grfox92

grfox92

WKR
Time became a bit of an issue so none of the slow cook methods would work today.

I wound up coating the roast in olive oil and a blend of seasonings. I then out the roast on a ceramic baking dish and filled it a quarter to a third with red wine.

I cooked it at 265 until it hit 140. I was shooting for 125 but got busy between temp checks.

It tasted good but was tough and a little dry, even in the wine sauce. It reminded me of slightly over done London broil in terms of texture. But the flavor was very earthy which is great.

It was a bottom round roast so not the best cut. Moose still remains my favorite game meat I've eaten. My guests enjoyed it as well.

Thanks for the recommendations. I am going to try everything else recommended on venison when I re fill the freezer next fall. Looking forward to the barbacoa recipe.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

JColony

FNG

This one is a crowd pleaser!!

Catchfish

WKR
We eat a lot of moose, I was always a crock pot roast type guy, then I got an instant pot. I used that for a while because it did make things easy. Easy does not mean good though, I have since swapped to using the old Dutch oven in the oven.
Many different recipes depends on your flavor of choice. I always sear in the pan and then pick something to braise it in for 3.5 -5 hrs depending on the size of meat. It all comes out fork tender and much more juicy.
We like tacos, French dips, Caribbean jerk flavors, as well as the regular roast with potatoes and carrots. Just wait to add the veggies so they don’t get to mushy.