Recommendations for digiscoping with a 65 mm Swarovski

A buddy of mine who has a Swaro spotting scope and is looking to get into digiscoping, asked me if I had any recommendations on what he should get. Since I know nothing about it, I thought I would post the question here and see what people recommended. So for everyone that plays around with digiscoping, if you wouldn't mind telling me about your likes and dislikes with yours I would greatly appreciate it.

Last edited:

maverick

Lil-Rokslider
I used a 2' to 1 1/2' reducing coupler for plumbing and some velcro. It works on my Vortex and my friends Swarovski. I have the Zeikos too, and allot of the newer camera lenses won't fit thru the 37mm opening. I have tried several cameras and BB is spot on. It doesn't have to be an expensive camera to work well. If you use the plumbing parts you will need another piece so the camera lens won't hit the scopes eyepiece. Takes about 10-15 minutes to make and costs around $10

P1000116_zpsaac4afd3.jpg

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Maverick makes some good points. If going the Zeikos/TU route, it is best to get the Zeikos first, and take it to the store and see what compacts have lenses that fit.

I wish they made a 58mm verson, then you could just use the 58mm TU adapter, and lots of cameras would fit.

Daniel_M

WKR
So for those of you that do digiscope, what pocket cameras do you like? I'm still debating on allowing the Canon to be packed for this fall, It's certainly tough to beat the quality of photos. I have an Olympus Tough 8010 pocket camera, it'll do 5x wide and HD, thoughts?

maverick

Lil-Rokslider
So for those of you that do digiscope, what pocket cameras do you like? I'm still debating on allowing the Canon to be packed for this fall, It's certainly tough to beat the quality of photos. I have an Olympus Tough 8010 pocket camera, it'll do 5x wide and HD, thoughts?

I would just hand hold the Olympus up to the scope and see if it works. I would guess it will work fine. I've had good luck with the Canon cameras like the HS100 or 110.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member

The Olympus might be OK handheld, but it won't work well with an adapter without an extending lens.

Many CAnon, Nikon, Panasonic, and Sony compacts work great. The Sony WX-1 is an excellent camera for digiscoping and works with the Zeikos.

bbrown

WKR
I used a 2' to 1 1/2' reducing coupler for plumbing and some velcro. It works on my Vortex and my friends Swarovski. I have the Zeikos too, and allot of the newer camera lenses won't fit thru the 37mm opening. I have tried several cameras and BB is spot on. It doesn't have to be an expensive camera to work well. If you use the plumbing parts you will need another piece so the camera lens won't hit the scopes eyepiece. Takes about 10-15 minutes to make and costs around $10

P1000116_zpsaac4afd3.jpg

How is this attached to the camera? Care to explain more? I really do enjoy tinkering/ engineering more than just buying... Not that its more cost effective in the long run!

Phone skope and the iphone takes as good as pics as the TU set up im my opinion... Cheaper and less to pack around as well.

maverick

Lil-Rokslider
How is this attached to the camera? Care to explain more? I really do enjoy tinkering/ engineering more than just buying... Not that its more cost effective in the long run!

Its just velcro stuck to the camera and to the plumbing fixture. You just lay the camera on it's back and turn it on, then center the plumbing fixture over the lens and press gently. Here are some clips from last fall put together. Its from a muzzleloader hunt in SE Oregon. We were hoping for some snow to push the deer out of Idaho, but it never came. All the video was shot with the setup above. The skylined buck and the following clip near the end were 1.25 miles away.
click on the pic

ctdad

FNG
I have a swaro 65 spotter. I went to tines up website to order the 37 mm adapter but they need to know if I have a 2.23, 2.21, or a 2.18 scope. I don't know and can't find any of these numbers on my scope. I have emailed tines up twice but no response. Does it really matter which I have when it comes to ordering this adapter?

ctdad, I was wondering the same thing. I emailed TU and Reggie said that Swarovski changed eyepiece sizes three times. The 2.18 is the latest one and the way to tell which one is to measure the diameter with a caliper. He also said that the 2.21 or the 2.18 would both fit...

BigDog00

WKR
I dont mean to hijack this thread but does the 38mm tines up for the 85mm Razor HD fit the 65mm Razor? I'm assuming that because they are the same eyepiece design it should fit, but the tinesup website only lists the 20-60x eyepiece for the 85mm.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I dont mean to hijack this thread but does the 38mm tines up for the 85mm Razor HD fit the 65mm Razor? I'm assuming that because they are the same eyepiece design it should fit, but the tinesup website only lists the 20-60x eyepiece for the 85mm.

Should work fine. The 16-48 eyepiece is the same eyepiece, just marked with different magnifications for the 65mm body.