Recommendations for insulated Pants

Driftless

FNG
Heading to Montana in late September for a backpack archery elk hunt and am wondering about insulated lightweight pants for wear around camp and for an extra layer for glassing/cold weather. Trying to decide if a outer layer type pant (Sitka Kelvin) or an under layer (Kuiu Super Down) would be better. The durability of an outer layer is appealing but needs to be very lightweight. Any recommendations greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance!

Ewaragnar

Lil-Rokslider
My go to warm pants are Kuiu super down. Previously, I had issues keeping my legs warm during the colder periods in high country. Bought a second pair I enjoyed them so much. I ditched heavyweight wool zipoffs and run a lighter pant for nice conditions with the super down if it's cold. I also take a pair of outer rain pants, my hunting buddy just takes a single pair of pants and the super downs. I always wear a layer of merino against my skin beneath either set of outer pants.

One added bonus for me was wearing the pants at night around camp. I run a quilt, and if it gets really cold I'll wear the super down pants while I sleep.

bhylton

WKR
Shorts and a tee shirt cover most of september in MT for me. most i would use is a mid weight merino baselayer and hunting pant of choice. highs are usually in the 50-70s and its not too terrible to tough out the cool mornings and evening. I wear kuiu attacks with 200gm merino baselayer through thanksgiving so take it with a grain of salt but i dont see a need for insulated pants in MT September

sitka kelvin or the new fl puffy pants are great options

if you need help with either or want to check our current specials feel free to pm us

I don't have any experience with the Sitka pants, but I do have a few other brands of puffy pants and my two favorites are MH Compressors and Kuiu SD. Of these two, the SD's go with me on every hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mdfanatic

FNG
I don't think I would worry about an insulated pant for September in Montana. I went to the high country in Wyoming in 2015 at 10k elevation and didn't have an insulated pant nor consider one. If it does get super cold, chances are it won't last long. I would take a lightweight pant and a shell / softshell type pant. That and some lightweight or midweight (whatever you already have) merino bottoms.