Recommendations for Montana spring bear

Wildatheart

Lil-Rokslider
That's awesome. I think we will be going nw after doing a lot of research. I have a few spots picked out. Also I am somewhat more familiar with that area from previous backpacking trips. While I certainly hope to get a bear I won't complain if we don't either. It's all about the experience for me. Good luck to you.
What dates are going up?

Access varies from year to year in the NW corner. Typically that time of the year I'm only hunting around 5500 or so. There are also close to three times as many grizzlies in the Northern Continental Divide and Cabinet Yaak ecosystems compared to the Greater Yellowstone. At the same time 50% of Montana's bear harvest is taken in the NW corner.
This^^^ I would NOT hunt this corner if from out of town.

Seeknelk

WKR
I’m from Alabama, we hunt MT spring bear each spring. I’m 1 out of 4 so far. 4 trips up & 1 kill. We hunt NW region for various reasons.. mainly because it’s the highest concentration of black bear in the state.. & I promise you they are still hard to find there. The area your talking about is beautiful but full of griz & I’m betting you may not even set eyes on a black bear there… I most definitely would go NW of Missoula. I’ll be there also soon!
NW Montana has way more griz than most of those other grizzly areas. Just so y'all know.

cjadams25

FNG
I got into a lot of black bear sign out in the crazies firefighting last year. We spotted 2 in the few days we were there not even looking for them and saw a ton of sign. I haven’t been out for bear yet this year but I’ll check back after I get boots on the ground.