Recommendations for my first setup

SeanDC

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys,

I have been trying to do as much reading as possible to prepare for my first Colorado elk hunt. The amount of information on this site is incredible, but overwhelming at the same time. I often find myself looking for answers and ending up more confused than when I started. There are just so many options and so many opinions it's hard to sort it all out.

My older brother and I are going try a second rifle OTC hunt. We plan to hike in and camp, spending roughly 5 days. We are both in good health and not afraid of the challenge. I'm 35 years old now, (he is 38) and I have not done much hunting in many years. Growing up I always geared up with whatever was on sale at K-Mart. Now that I am older and have a decent job I am trying to put together a better kit to make my return to hunting more enjoyable. I have been researching and investing in better gear. I am still looking for most of my clothing for the trip.

So far I have:
-Firstlite Kiln Hoodie
-Firstlite Cirrus Puffy
-Carhartt midweight synthetic baselayers (older)
-Carhartt rain shell
-Several swiftwick socks

While I do have a decent job and can afford to spend some money on gear, the fact that I am basically starting from scratch means a huge investment. I would rather buy decent used gear and be comfortable though possibly mix matched as opposed to buying cheap new gear. I have been seriously impressed with the Firstlite pieces I got myself for xmas.

Things I know I need and would like advice on:

-Insulating layers
-Pants including rain pants
-Do I need better base layers? I know I would prefer merino but maybe I can cut costs here?
-Gaiters
-Gloves
-I'm sure there is more

Aside from the clothing I have been accumulating other items both new and used. Some of these are as follows:

-Salomon Quest 4D 3 GTX boots. 3rd pair of boots in this line that just work great for me
-Kuiu Ultra 3000 kit + Icon 5200 bag
-Big Agnus Yock 0 sleeping bag. Just ordered to try
-Esee 3 and Gerber replaceable blade knives
-Garmin 64ST with On-X
-Vortex Diamondback 10x42

I still have several other items on my list. My brother is experienced in mountaineering and will be bringing the tent and other camp gear. My wife works for Carhartt so anything usable from them is an easy score for me. I constantly watch the classifieds here as well as ebay. Thanks for all the support you guys give on this site. I am looking forward to getting back to hunting, as well as teaching my kids as they grow.

-Sean

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Id get a better pack , upgrade to the Kuiu Icon pro or something else. I had the Kuiu Ultra and hated it so bad with heavy loads that I hunted with a Kelty Redcloud 90 until I got a better one. I think you have a great start though.

OP
SeanDC

SeanDC

Lil-Rokslider
Id get a better pack , upgrade to the Kuiu Icon pro or something else. I had the Kuiu Ultra and hated it so bad with heavy loads that I hunted with a Kelty Redcloud 90 until I got a better one. I think you have a great start though.
I just got the Ultra pack this week. I wanted the Icon but found a good deal on this setup. The only difference would be the suspension which I cannot find any real comparisons between the two. I have the Icon 5200 bag which is what I will be using for this trip.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Do you have a general idea of where in Colorado or type of terrain, altitude? Temperatures could be mild or snowstorms.
Yes on the rain pants as they are great for blocking wind and snow.

Kuiu packs, I’ve tried on a couple but no real personal experience. I do like the bag layouts though. You have time to fine tune so get it loaded heavy and adjusted right. If you feel the need it’s relatively inexpensive to just buy the icon suspension or even the apex shoulder straps.

My biggest thing to overcome with clothing that time of year is the weather. If it does rain or snow it will stay wet and sloppy since it doesn’t quite hard freeze or dry up very fast. Again the region and elevation/sun exposure play into this. Synthetics and multiple thin layers vs thick slow drying materials will be your friend.

Don’t forget the orange vest and hat.

OP
SeanDC

SeanDC

Lil-Rokslider
As of right now I have not nailed down a unit to hunt. I continually research and scour the maps. The plan is to try and hunt where other hunters are not. I assume that means we will gravitate towards higher elevations. If I am understanding correctly the elk will move that way due to hunting pressure as long as there is not a ton of snow. I could be totally wrong here though.

I walk every single evening with my wife for exercise as well as it's the only chance we have to talk after our busy days. I have been wearing the Kuiu pack with a 30lb weight packed in with a bunch of towels for 3 days now. We typically walk about 35-40 mins. This is my first pack so I'm not sure of the level of comfort I should expect. I do feel the pressure from the shoulder straps but I don't have the thought of "get this thing off my back". I am not uncomfortable nor do I feel sore or fatigued afterwards. I know I'm still at the light end of packing so I guess I will just have to see how it feels as I build up.

OP
SeanDC

SeanDC

Lil-Rokslider
Update with more questions:

Things I've added to my arsenal:
  • New Carhartt Extremes midweight baselayers
  • REI hooded puffy for insulating layer
  • Black Diamond Alpine Trekking poles
  • Another Kiln - 1/4 zip no hood (just because I'm in love with this top and it was a good deal)
  • Kuiu Apex Harness
  • Kuiu Gun Holder
  • Kuiu Axis Gloves
  • Down booties for camp at night
  • Gerber multi-tool

I am still looking for pants. I have been looking at the Kuiu Talus as well as the Sitka Timberline. I am leaning towards the Timberline as I find nothing but good reviews for them. Can you guys give me an opinion on sizing for these pants if I am to go with them? I'm 6'1 180lbs and typically wear a 33. Is it in my best interest to get a larger size to account for layers underneath? Having midweight baselayers doesn't seem to add any real bulk. Do a lot of guys wear puffy pants under the Timberlines when sitting for long periods glassing? I have seen talk of puffy pants, but I can't imagine trying to put them on in the field, and I surely don't want to be hiking around with them on.

Also, what are your recommendations for gaiters? I have seen several for sale on the classifieds, but when I research them I see lots of reviews for all brands of gaiters talking about poor fit. I wear 11.5 boots, but also have chicken legs so my calves are small. This is looking like an item that I need to purchase new and have the ability to return easily if it doesn't jive with my exact setup. Does that sound logical?

Thanks again for all the input so far!

There was a discussion on gaitor a for skinnier guys a day or 2 ago. I’ve had good luck with OR and I’m of the large foot skinny ankle club also. Don’t know that I’ve got small calves but I’m not the gym guy that looks like he’s got a pair of furry danglers on the back of my leg. Not sure if your after more insulation from the gaitors or just to keep the nature out but, I can’t comment on any kind of insulated gaitor aside from borrowing a sportsman’s pair from a buddy for a couple of days of light winter hiking a few years ago.

KitShickers

Lil-Rokslider
I normally run 34 in all brands of pants. I had to size up to 35 in the Timberlines and Sitka's Equinox pants. Im glad they didn't jump to 36 because I feel like that would be too loose.

OP
SeanDC

SeanDC

Lil-Rokslider
I received my Apex shoulder straps and what a world of difference they make! Very happy with that purchase. My pack is so much more comfortable.

Also, I ditched the Carhartt baselayers. Sizing was terrible as it generally is with Carhartt, and even though they are sold as midweight I could see right through them. I'm not talking about seeing light through them either, I mean I could clearly see my wife's face looking through them. I grabbed a pair of minus 33 merino and am very happy with the quality.

I tried out the Axis gloves I got from Kuiu last night on my walk as well. Was in the high 20's with constant freezing rain. They did a great job keeping my hands dry and warm. I like the balance between warmth and dexterity.

I'm still on the hunt for Talus or Timberline pants. May just have to buy them new if I don't come across any used.

Good choice on the merino. In regards to the Timberline pants, I would highly recommend them for 2nd rifle. Like someone else mentioned, I would size up. Sitka runs skinny on the waist side of things. If you're looking for used deals they might be hard to come by in decent shape, most guys beat the hell out of pants. The Timberlines are a good seller, so they don't go on sale very often if ever. Look for a 20% site-wide type coupon for first orders or something like that, there's a bunch out there, at least you'll save some money.