Recommendations for Spring Bear Outfitter 2022?

Bake117

FNG
Hello all and happy Thanksgiving!

Does anyone have any recommendations for or experience with an outfitter for spring bear spot and stalk hunting in Montana or Idaho?

EdP

WKR
Dan Everson, Cayuse Outfitting, Cottonwood Idaho. Buddy and I hunted with Dan in the spring of 2019 and had a great time. Stock pack-in hunt, nice camp, beautiful area. We hunted unit 10 in the Lolo region, one of the units where you can get 2 tags OTC at the reduced price of $42 ea. Buddy took a fine cinnamon boar on day 1 and I took a cinnamon sow and a black boar on the last day. Hitting the conditions just right for a spot and stalk (bears out, upper meadows greened up) is a crap shoot so Dan has bait sites available too. We tried spot and stalk but both ended up taking our bears over bait. However, it was a lot different than our Maine hunt over bait where we were in thick dark timber 30 yds from the bait or closer.

b.purcell

FNG
Hey if you are still looking for a spring bear hunt I’ve got a few spots still available for this spring!

Edp , I’m going with Dan this may . What would you recommend me bringing ? how far where most shots ? Any advice would be appreciated .Thanks Kenny

EdP

WKR
Kenny,

My buddy Tom's bear came to a bait about 80 yds from him, mine were at 150. Dan has a recommended gear list that he will send you. A pack of the adult size wet wipes/field wipes is pretty handy to have. If you don't regularly spend a lot of time on a horse I suggest you wear some compression shorts for the ride in and out and bring some anti-B ointment. Compression shorts are like liner socks for your butt - they reduce friction. Definitely bring a camera, the area is beautiful and moose and deer can be seen in and around the camp. I also had binos, range finder, and shooting sticks.

Tom (sunglasses) brought a reflector oven and fixings for an apple pie and cooked it by the fire the first night out. Dan took this pic of us. Unfortunately Tom had a severe stroke last year and died in Sept, just 6 weeks before we were to go to Wy after mulies.
IMG_0118.JPG

Say hello to Dan for me. I'll do my best to answer any other questions you have.

Behlftball

Lil-Rokslider
You can always check out Boulder Creek Outfitters in ID. They usually do really well on bears. I think it's a 2 bear area too (might be wrong about that)

Kenny,

My buddy Tom's bear came to a bait about 80 yds from him, mine were at 150. Dan has a recommended gear list that he will send you. A pack of the adult size wet wipes/field wipes is pretty handy to have. If you don't regularly spend a lot of time on a horse I suggest you wear some compression shorts for the ride in and out and bring some anti-B ointment. Compression shorts are like liner socks for your butt - they reduce friction. Definitely bring a camera, the area is beautiful and moose and deer can be seen in and around the camp. I also had binos, range finder, and shooting sticks.

Tom (sunglasses) brought a reflector oven and fixings for an apple pie and cooked it by the fire the first night out. Dan took this pic of us. Unfortunately Tom had a severe stroke last year and died in Sept, just 6 weeks before we were to go to Wy after mulies.
View attachment 395427

Say hello to Dan for me. I'll do my best to answer any other questions you have.
Thanks for your reply and advice . So sorry about your hunting partner . Last question what kind of stand did h use ?

EdP

WKR
Sorry to take so long getting back, I didn't see your question.

Both bait locations we hunted from we were on the ground. With the country as open as it is, there is no need nor much opportunity to be up in a tree.