Recommendations on suppressor and barrel length for a .308

Typants

FNG
Hey guys,

I'm looking to get into the suppressor world as my hearing is preeeetty awful.

I am looking to put one on a really lightweight .308 with a short barrel for hunting the eastern woods.

I'm looking at the new Seekins Havak Element and thinking about getting the barrel down to 16.5" so I can put a fairly large suppressor on it. Anyone have this rifle yet? There are only a couple reviews out there but all good things so far.

Anyone have any recommendations on a good hunting suppressor? I figured with a short barrel I could go with a 7" suppressor and still be maneuverable. I've read that thunderbeast and gemtech make good ones but I have no experience with them.

Lastly, Is 16.5" enough to stabilize a .308? Everything i've read says yes, but i've never dealt with a barrel this short. I don't need crazy velocities as I just want it to hunt whitetails at an absolute maximum of 300yrds (realistically 100yrds and in will be most of my shots).

Thanks for the help!

I just went through the same decision as you and decided on a Christensen arms 308 Ridgeline 20” with an 8” suppressor.

Haven’t gotten it all yet but that’s what I decided was the best compromise between light weight, shootable and effective out to around 500 yards with the right bullet selection

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Typants

Typants

FNG
Nice! I'd be curious to hear how the CA shoots. It looks like a great light hunting rig.

What type of suppressor did you end up going with?

BjornF16

WKR
Eastern woods hunting - I'd look at 18-20" barrel, 1:10 twist. I've also been looking at Seekins Element. Nice looking gun but I was waiting on longer term use reports with that aluminum action. Another option would be Barret Fieldcraft threaded barrel (18.5" inches) that is less expensive than the Element.

I have 22" threaded Fieldcraft in 6.5 CM that is 3 shot 0.5-0.75 MOA with factory Hornady Precision Hunter ammo. Only downside to the Fieldcraft is slender barrel that heats up quick (fine for hunting; groups open up after 4 quick succession rounds which is no different than any other slender barrel).

I have SilencerCo Omega 300 that is 6" long with flat end cap vice the 1.5" brake end cap. Thunderbeast 5 would be another good option.

rob86jeep

WKR
Ruger American Predator in .308 has an 18" barrel and comes threaded. That with a TBAC 7" would be a light, sweet short range hunting rifle and it's probably cheaper then anything else you're looking at.

I have the same rifle but run a SilencerCo Omega. The Omega is just over 6" with the flat cap but weighs a few ounces more then the TBAC.

gbflyer

WKR
SiCo Harvester here. Nice and light,direct thread and not as ridiculously expensive as others. I’ve had it on everything from a rim fire to .300 Win Mag. Not sure what your expectations or experience is with suppressors but it’s been mine that a centerfire cartridge loaded at normal velocities yields a report something along the lines of a .22 mag rifle. Still not a bad idea to have ears on at the range. Also get a silicone cover for it, the mirage they generate from the heat is tough to deal with after 4-5 rounds. The recoil reduction is nothing short of a miracle. I want to shoot suppressed all the time now.

Apologies if you’ve already covered this.

Nothing wrong with a 16” .308 as long as the can is rated for it. Check that out ahead of time. You won’t notice the loss of velocity at normal hunting range.

Good luck. It’s a sickness. Wish they weren’t such a pain to get. I’d have more. Hahahahaha.

My suppressor recommendation would be a TBAC Ultra-7 because I just plain believe in the company and product. The TBAC will be your lightest option and the quality of their product is second to none. As far as cutting down a Seekins Havak barrel, I'm not sure it's as easy as you may think. You may want to check with the gunsmith you plan on having cut it down. The Seekins barrels I've seen are spiral fluted and I'm not sure you can cut 5" off the barrel (which would be into the spiral fluted part of the barrel) and then have it sit still in a chuck for rethreading.

I am not a gunsmith but the particular one I called said that it wouldn't be doable. Yours may say differently but it's worth checking before dropping three grand on a rifle.

I just ordered a suppressor & after doing tons of research I went with the Griifin Sportsman Ultralight 300.
Mine will be used while hunting so weight & length were major factors.
Make sure you check the specs because when you look at the 5" models there's hardly any reduction compared to the 7" & 9" models.
I really wanted the TBAC 7 but it was gonna be over 7 months just to get it t o the FFL so you might wanna take lead times into consideration as well. The griffin was in stock & patience is not one of my strong attributes.

sram9102

WKR
I run a rem700 with a 16.5 inch barrel on it suppressed. It isn't lightweight with the can but I have never felt under gunned at the typical ranges we get shots at around here <400.

Oldffemt

WKR
I just ordered a suppressor & after doing tons of research I went with the Griifin Sportsman Ultralight 300.
Make sure you check the specs because when you look at the 5" models there's hardly any reduction compared to the 7" & 9" models.
I really wanted the TBAC 7 but it was gonna be over 7 months just to get it t o the FFL so you might wanna take lead times into consideration as well. The griffin was in stock & patience is not one of my strong attributes.
I’m heavily invested in griffin taper mounts and have been seriously considering the sportsman. Let us know how you like it......next year 😕

OP
Typants

Typants

FNG
Eastern woods hunting - I'd look at 18-20" barrel, 1:10 twist. I've also been looking at Seekins Element. Nice looking gun but I was waiting on longer term use reports with that aluminum action. Another option would be Barret Fieldcraft threaded barrel (18.5" inches) that is less expensive than the Element.

I have 22" threaded Fieldcraft in 6.5 CM that is 3 shot 0.5-0.75 MOA with factory Hornady Precision Hunter ammo. Only downside to the Fieldcraft is slender barrel that heats up quick (fine for hunting; groups open up after 4 quick succession rounds which is no different than any other slender barrel).

I have SilencerCo Omega 300 that is 6" long with flat end cap vice the 1.5" brake end cap. Thunderbeast 5 would be another good option.
I've debated waiting a year to hear some reviews about the aluminum action, but I am antsy to get started on the paperwork for the suppressor.

I haven't checked out the Barret Fieldcraft yet but i'll definitely check it out. Thanks for the recommendation.

6.5CM is another round I was looking into since it's a light recoiling round for deer, but it seemed like it was easier to stabilize .308 rounds in a shorter barrel so that's the reason I went that route

i've also heard great things about silencer. It's a tough decision when I can't see (or really hear) them in action

OP
Typants

Typants

FNG
Ruger American Predator in .308 has an 18" barrel and comes threaded. That with a TBAC 7" would be a light, sweet short range hunting rifle and it's probably cheaper then anything else you're looking at.

I have the same rifle but run a SilencerCo Omega. The Omega is just over 6" with the flat cap but weighs a few ounces more then the TBAC.
I do like the ruger american...if only it had a better trigger!

OP
Typants

Typants

FNG
SiCo Harvester here. Nice and light,direct thread and not as ridiculously expensive as others. I’ve had it on everything from a rim fire to .300 Win Mag. Not sure what your expectations or experience is with suppressors but it’s been mine that a centerfire cartridge loaded at normal velocities yields a report something along the lines of a .22 mag rifle. Still not a bad idea to have ears on at the range. Also get a silicone cover for it, the mirage they generate from the heat is tough to deal with after 4-5 rounds. The recoil reduction is nothing short of a miracle. I want to shoot suppressed all the time now.

Apologies if you’ve already covered this.

Nothing wrong with a 16” .308 as long as the can is rated for it. Check that out ahead of time. You won’t notice the loss of velocity at normal hunting range.

Good luck. It’s a sickness. Wish they weren’t such a pain to get. I’d have more. Hahahahaha.
Expectations are to just try better at not destroying my hearing any more than it already is. lol

I'll take a look at those silicone covers and make sure the rating is good. I appreciate the input. All great stuff!!

And yeah i've heard once you shoot suppressed you never want to go back. So much for that green stuff!

OP
Typants

Typants

FNG
Patience is not mine either! I will have to check them out, I haven't heard of Griffin yet.
I did read that 5" reduced decibels significantly less than a 7 or 9". that's great stuff though I appreciate the info and will check out griffin

OP
Typants

Typants

FNG
As far as cutting down a Seekins Havak barrel, I'm not sure it's as easy as you may think. You may want to check with the gunsmith you plan on having cut it down. The Seekins barrels I've seen are spiral fluted and I'm not sure you can cut 5" off the barrel (which would be into the spiral fluted part of the barrel) and then have it sit still in a chuck for rethreading.

That's a great point, but I would ask seekins cut the barrel down before fluting. They told me they've built a few rifles like the one I described already. Which of course just makes me want to buy it more...

rob86jeep

WKR
I just looked this up for another thread, but you're right about the 5" models lacking on the sound suppression. Below is from the TBAC webpage...

"On a typical .308 bolt action rifle..."
Ultra 5 will be 143-145 db and weigh 7.6 oz.
Ultra 7 will be 134-136 db and weigh 9.7 oz.
Ultra 9 will be 132-134 db and weigh 11.9 oz.

Seems like a no brainier to get the Ultra 7 for the greater amount of sound suppression for a small increase in size/weight.

HuntnPack

WKR
Take a look at the GA Precision jager suppressor. It’s a shorter reflex style.
Only adds 4.5 inches to barrel length.
I’m putting one on my Element.

OP
Typants

Typants

FNG
Take a look at the GA Precision jager suppressor. It’s a shorter reflex style.
Only adds 4.5 inches to barrel length.
I’m putting one on my Element.
I do like the idea of the GA Precision jager suppressor, but if i'm going to go as short as 16", I want to get the extra 7-10db from a 7".

GA Precision is building a 6.5 PRC for me that has a 24" barrel that a nice 5" suppressor may look nice on though...