Recommended optics for a 300 Weatherby?

Pilgrim

Lil-Rokslider
My Papa (my Dad's Dad) passed away almost a year ago. He left some guns to my Dad, one of which is a .300 Weatherby. It still had the original Weatherby scope on it, a whopping 4 power and 10mm objective lens. We contacted Weatherby and based on the serial number, they said the combo is an early '50s generation... pretty cool.

At any rate, we want to put sufficient optics on it. Any good recommendations for it? How far is too far to shoot with this rifle?

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Collectors really like Weatherby rifles w/ original Weatherby scopes.

Sounds like a really cool setup.

We can give some suggestions if you give some info:

1. What is your budget?
2. How far do you WANT to shoot?
3. What kind of hunting will you be doing?

LazyV

Lil-Rokslider
Leave it the way it is, when you harvest an animal with it using the same setup as your grandpa it'll mean something to you. I'm sure you have newer rifles for most hunts, but a connection to the past is a great thing to have around.

OP
Pilgrim

Pilgrim

Lil-Rokslider
1. I think we'd like to stay under $1,000.
2. I think 500 yards and less... if possible.
3. Mostly deer. I live in CO currently, but my Dad lives in MO. He'll hunt deer and I'll bring it out here now and then for an elk hunt.

Collectors really like Weatherby rifles w/ original Weatherby scopes.

Sounds like a really cool setup.

We can give some suggestions if you give some info:

1. What is your budget?
2. How far do you WANT to shoot?
3. What kind of hunting will you be doing?

OP
Pilgrim

Pilgrim

Lil-Rokslider
LazyV- I think you and I think a lot alike. We're obviously not getting rid of that Weatherby scope but I do intend to hunt deer with that original set-up back in MO. My Poppie (Great Grandpa) hunted with it, too.

Leave it the way it is, when you harvest an animal with it using the same setup as your grandpa it'll mean something to you. I'm sure you have newer rifles for most hunts, but a connection to the past is a great thing to have around.

LazyV

Lil-Rokslider
Good stuff. I'm planning a hunt this year with my great grandpas Savage model 99 with a steel body Weaver K4. Harvested my first deer with it years ago and haven't hunted with it since. Should make the hunt a little more special.

To your question. I've always been partial to Leupold golden ring products. A VX3 in 4.5-14 would be a great scope for your needs, and well under a grand.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I think a ballistic reticle scope would be a good match for you and that rifle.

Of course, a sexy one would go well with that rifle. Tough to envision a knob-turnin' tactical scope mounted on her. I think 500 and in is where ballistic reticles shine the most. Those old Weatherby's are pretty!

Right off the bat, I think the Swarovski Z3 with a BRH reticle would handle the job well. A Z5 would be great too, but over your price range.

A Leica ER with ballistic reticle would also do very well, and it isn't TOO far over your price range.

Meopta's Meostar riflescopes are also killer scopes, but don't come in a true ballistic reticle.

The new Conquest HD5s are worth a look too, based on the spec sheet.

Leupy VX-3s are nice scopes, but their variable eye relief turns me off. The VX-6 is supposed to have mitigated that issue substantially. Might check one out.

Very nice rifle.

philw

Lil-Rokslider
I've used a Leupold VX3 3.5 X 10 with B & C reticle on my .300 Wby with no complaints. I think a Kahle's 3 X 9 would be just about ideal too. If you go for a Leice ER with ballistic reticle, make sure and try one in person before you buy. The reticles are very fine. I like the optics but I wish the ballistic reticle on mine was not so fine. It's great for targets but I'm not sure how it'll be in low light in the woods.

Shrek

WKR
1+ for the swarovski z3 but it would be on another rifle and I would leave the weatherby all original. Take the weatherby on a few Mo deer hunts over the years but leave the rough and tumble hunts to a new rifle without sentimental value.

tstowater

WKR
To your question. I've always been partial to Leupold golden ring products. A VX3 in 4.5-14 would be a great scope for your needs, and well under a grand.

Picked up a VX3 in a 4.5-14 with the B&C reticle a couple weeks ago at a gun show for $450, very slightly used. Nice scope. You can buy better scopes and spend more money, but this would do the job well.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I've used a Leupold VX3 3.5 X 10 with B & C reticle on my .300 Wby with no complaints. I think a Kahle's 3 X 9 would be just about ideal too. If you go for a Leice ER with ballistic reticle, make sure and try one in person before you buy. The reticles are very fine. I like the optics but I wish the ballistic reticle on mine was not so fine. It's great for targets but I'm not sure how it'll be in low light in the woods.

Good points Phil.

The BRH is a much better low light ballistic reticle.

Still, those Leicas are nice scopes, eh? I wish they came in a BRH.

I am not a fan of the B&C myself, and their cartridge group magnification settings.

philw

Lil-Rokslider
I am not a fan of the B&C myself, and their cartridge group magnification settings.

Yup, I don't use the cartridge group settings, I just shoot to see how the reticles line up and make a card. Not an ideal way to go but for example if you know the third reticle is a few inches low at 500, you can still hit. I put M-1 turrets on a couple, if I have time I'd rather dial in elevation but you don't always have time.

I shoot milradian based optics and I would have to say I am biased to the Z3 with BRH. Like stated before the BRX is almost too fine. Ballistic reticles change with density altitude and with me being at a lower elevation its really hard to compensate with an altitude shift to 10000 feet above where my last zero and dope card was built on a flat range at 100 ft elevation. I prefer the BRH reticle as it is milradian based. The windage on the reticle is not but the elevation side is mil radian based. If you have an understanding of the mil system its very easy to apply it to this reticle and not have to dial for elevation and just do holds. They have pda, or iphone app ballistic calculators that are pretty accurate as well as hand held devices like kestrel that can give you info on density altitude and its pretty spot on as far as a calculated guess. If you live in the area you hunt then that is even better as you can build your dope card and apply it easier. As with anything time on your rig will always benefit you. I say maximize that rig by using a system that can only be more versatile than a ballistic reticle that is specific to one load, and caliber that can change your holds due to changes in elevation. You stated its probably going to be 500 yards and in so it might not be as big of a deal, but if you went to a larger caliber a Z3 with a mil radian based BRH reticle would be more versatile as it uses a mil system that is not that hard to get down and can get you first round hits consistently when used properly. At that point wind is your only nemesis. Thats just my 2 cents. Good luck on your search and let us know what you went with. Hope it gets you some meat in the freezer.

Last edited:
I should have mentioned, the BRH is 5.5 mils from the center to the top of the bottom post. Most apps like bulletflight for Iphone have a range card that gives readouts in mils. Example X caliber has a holdover of 3.6 mils at XXX yards. Its pretty damn close when you take it to the range to confirm. All you gotta do is plug in the info of the area you are shooting as well as your velocity and bullet weight, ballistic coefficient. As you go to a ligheter bullet or heavier bullet. You can just change the info and change your holds.

I appreciate it brother. I just checked it out and thats a great article. Really nice review. I must say I have not be disappointed with the Swaro. I have the Z5 and its been worth it so far. BRH is definitely my fav reticle and keeps my 300 wm versatile from 220gr noslers to 180gr game kings. I am a big fan of not having to dial and keeping the caps on the turrets.

OP
Pilgrim

Pilgrim

Lil-Rokslider
Wow. You guys sure know your optics. I've "cataloged" these recommendations and sent them to my Dad to research. I'll try to remember to get on here and let y'all know what we settle on.

I see most of you guys on here in other forums and know that y'all know what you're talkin about, thanks for the input.

As far as the gun being sentimental... I don't have a single gun without sentimental value.

Floorguy

WKR
My dad gave me his 300 weatherby although quite a bit newer than yours. It has a Zeiss conquest 3.5-10 on it.