Recommended Pants - Nov MT Deer Hunt

jimh406

WKR
Weather can be anything from 0-60 or more or a little less with wind and snow to still. I'm not joking.

I suggest layers of different thicknesses. I've been out from anything from jeans with nothing underneath to insulated pants with heavy long johns.

I don't think "one" pair is going to work.

Kuiu axis hybrid. I was looking for the same thing a few years ago. I really really have grown to love them. The fit is good, I hate the skinny jeans feel and was worried when I ordered but was pleasantly surprised when I received them. I really like the waterproof panels for sitting if there's snow or rain which is pretty much a given in Montana that time of year.

OP
wirehead

wirehead

Lil-Rokslider
Kuiu axis hybrid. I was looking for the same thing a few years ago. I really really have grown to love them. The fit is good, I hate the skinny jeans feel and was worried when I ordered but was pleasantly surprised when I received them. I really like the waterproof panels for sitting if there's snow or rain which is pretty much a given in Montana that time of year.
Good thought there… I have the axis hybrid jacket and typically use the attack pants.

Do you feel the axis hybrid pants are wind proof?

OP
wirehead

wirehead

Lil-Rokslider
Weather can be anything from 0-60 or more or a little less with wind and snow to still. I'm not joking.

I suggest layers of different thicknesses. I've been out from anything from jeans with nothing underneath to insulated pants with heavy long johns.

I don't think "one" pair is going to work.
What’s your system?

I’m thinking some version of merino long John’s, Kuiu Attack’s, and maybe puffy pants….

jimh406

WKR
What’s your system?

I’m thinking some version of merino long John’s, Kuiu Attack’s, and maybe puffy pants….

I live here, so I don’t have a limitation for what I want to wear for the day. I think your list is a pretty good one.

But, I would suggest you have a way to dry out your clothes if needed, or have gear that will keep it from getting soaked. It’s easy for me since I hunt near my house most of the time.

Bump79

WKR
FL Corrugate Foundry is a great fit for Nov. I prefer to add a Kuiu Peloton 97 zip off vs a heavier fleece lined pant and wear gaitors in snow. A friend had the Kuiu Axis and they were so darn loud

I am really liking my stone glacier dehavilland pants. The lites are awesome when it’s warm. Morning temps of 30 last week and hiking and I was fine with them. Would want more if I was stationary. The regulars are awesome for colder weather. Though it would be nice to have mesh in the hip vents, having it that big and open really helps dump heat well if it is warmer than expected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
wirehead

wirehead

Lil-Rokslider
To what temperature do you think you could withstand stationary with the SG dehavilland’s? Any wind proof-ness to them?

Last edited:

Frank Grimes

Lil-Rokslider
Wool
Try to find a pair with a tighter weave so the wind doesn’t rip through them. I like them abit baggier in the thighs and not to tight in the waist. I only wear a belt if I have a knife on it, other then that it’s suspenders. I wear my wool pants pretty much from Oct till end of season in the bc Rockies.

Second the wool choice. I wear them every day during season. I have number from woolrich and last year bought a pair from Canada. Big legs and spenders. From 40 to -40F . Always dependable.

Good thought there… I have the axis hybrid jacket and typically use the attack pants.

Do you feel the axis hybrid pants are wind proof?
I feel there pretty good in wind. I generally always run a base layer of some sort. I've sat deer hunting in them in some crummy wind sleet weather and did great.

To what temperature do you think you could withstand stationary with the SG dehavilland’s? Any wind proof-ness to them?

With the regular dehavilland and a medium base layer I would say 10 degrees depending on wind. They are not windproof I don’t think but the do take care of a good portion of it I feel. I think there are better options if simply stationary but if you do a mixture of both, I choose these hands down

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Second on the FL Corrugate Foundry - with a good pair of zip off merino long johns and gaiters. Very versatile pant and love the reinforced knees and seat, also the side vent zippers are must for long hikes in

rratzlaff1490

Lil-Rokslider
I’m sure there are other good pants but my personal experience has been the axis pants as well with the possibility of a layer underneath if needed. Something light and next to skin should do it for the early morning/evenings if Mother Nature wants to play games. I wore the axis pants for 10 days straight in -5 to 20 with a light Patagonia bottom and never once was even close to cold

OP
wirehead

wirehead

Lil-Rokslider
thoughts or experience with the King’s Camo XKG Lone Peak or FL catalyst foundry? I have Kuiu stuff, including Axis coat, and really like it but I’m intrigued by the long vent zippers on the FL and wind/weather proofness id the kings camo XKG.

And does anyone have a budget option in mind?! 😮 these pants are >$200.

budget option could be Eddie Bauer Lined Guide Pro pants. I wore them in montana with 2 feet of snow on the ground and wore them when it warmed up later in the week. They cover a pretty good range of temps on their own and even more with a baselayer. They have decent water resistance and breath really well.

budget option could be Eddie Bauer Lined Guide Pro pants. I wore them in montana with 2 feet of snow on the ground and wore them when it warmed up later in the week. They cover a pretty good range of temps on their own and even more with a baselayer. They have decent water resistance and breath really well.
Agree on Eddie Bauer pants as a budget option. You can usually find them heavily discounted at one of their outlet stores as well. They don't offer the side vents (or at least have not in the past), but still a durable and all around functional pair of pants