Reconyx hc600?

vcb

WKR
So I think I'm gonna buy my first trail cam. I was going to set it in my favorite elk spot and then retrieve the card 4-5 weeks later. I have been reading reviews and it seems like trail cams are based on trigger speed, recovery speed, activation angle and range. Especially flash range. I will be just buying one, don't need many, and also want the black no flash at night. Seems like the hc 600 fits the bill. Pricey but everybody says its worth the money! What is your opinion ?

Shrek

WKR
I have used a lot of different cameras and the reconyx are by far the best. Wide pickup angle and long range. If you are going to leave them for weeks don't use burst and clear any grass or small branches that will sway in the wind. They are sensitive and will fill a card in no time if a branch or grass is waving in front of them.

OP
vcb

vcb

WKR
I have used a lot of different cameras and the reconyx are by far the best. Wide pickup angle and long range. If you are going to leave them for weeks don't use burst and clear any grass or small branches that will sway in the wind. They are sensitive and will fill a card in no time if a branch or grass is waving in front of them.
Cool. Gotta save some cash for this one. Thanks for the advice Daveinjax

Shrek

WKR
I will say that you can get some really good performance out of some cheap cameras. I have friends who own the reconyx that I set and retrieve the pics all summer for them but I own a bunch of cheap cameras myself. For $150 bucks I can get a primos blackout ( low glow ) that will get the info I need and I can have four or five for the price of a reconxy. If one goes missing I'm just a little bent but if a $600 camera got lifted...OMG! Four cameras would cover a lot more land. Check out chasinggame.com for reviews. The performance of cameras change all the time and its hard to keep track. I have bought one model one year and it works great and the next year the same model is junk. They make a small change and it can go either way. Got to keep up with it to get this years good models. There are a lot of discussions on the whitetail deer forums about setting the cameras and all the tradeoffs to be made.

OP
vcb

vcb

WKR
Ok I will check out some reviews. That's a nice 10 point brad.

bradb

WKR
They good news is he made it through, just as we wanted. He was real consistent early in this spot, i will plant it the same again and hopefully he does the same stuff next year. he should be a giant