Recovering game in thick cover… think this would help?

I’ve gone back and forth on it. At first I thought it would be a no brainier if it really senses out to 1,000 feet, but I don’t know. If I can’t see game with my eyes, will this thing still get heat return? phrased differently…. If I’ve got an animal down and there’s a thicket between me and him, I bet it won’t pick him up. Still might be handy on a tough trailing job once you’re pretty close if the understory is at least somewhat broken up. For the price might be worth a shot. Even if no good in hunting scenario be a nice shop gadget to have.

hunt1up

WKR
A good thermal will most certainly pick up a warm dead animal in some cover. My son shot a buck this past December and for whatever reason that deer just didn't bleed despite a great shot. When I started tracking I got worried for a minute given the lack of blood. I pulled out my thermal monocular and found the deer in about 2 seconds, maybe 50 yards away in cover. Not THICK cover but there was some stuff in the way. I would have found the deer anyway but it certainly saved some time.

I can't speak to the one you linked. It's awfully cheap compared to proper thermals. My monocular is entry/mid-level and it was over $1000. Since that's from Amazon, if it's a turd just send it back.

WCB

WKR
Yes obstructions will block the heat signature. However, you may be able to catch a glimpse of the body or heat signature that would be hard to notice with the naked eye. Same with at night. Even the brightest light casts shadows and can make it hard to identify what you are looking at....Thermal really doesn't lie.

I don't know about the exact item you are showing....maybe look at reviews or look for videos of it.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
I would question it's worth in the desert. I'll have my friend buy one first, he's a sucker for gimmicks.

280Ackley

WKR
I have the FLIR version that I used for work. The range on them are not that good. If you want something for finding game get the FLIR monocular. My brother in law had one and we could pick out deer at 600-700 yards in the heat of the day. Only downside is they are a lot more money.

def90

WKR
First off, look at the regs where you will be hunting. Night and thermal vision are illegal to use in Colorado while in the act the hunting. Recovering a down animal is considered being in the act of hunting.

Mixed bag. I got one of those (that brand) as a present.

Scenario #1. Down animal in sparse cover but tall grass. Very helpful. We would have found him but not as quickly.

Scenario #2. Bow hit deer in thick cedar. Basically useless. The cedar trees retained heat from the sun and made seeing a deer impossible through the brush.

OP
P
Mixed bag. I got one of those (that brand) as a present.

Scenario #1. Down animal in sparse cover but tall grass. Very helpful. We would have found him but not as quickly.

Scenario #2. Bow hit deer in thick cedar. Basically useless. The cedar trees retained heat from the sun and made seeing a deer impossible through the brush.
Well there ya go! Thanks

I think we are all better off relying on as few gadgets as possible, being forced to get better at tracking game (especially in thick cover) is a good thing, even though it doesn’t seem that way at the time… there is always a lot to take away from those tough stressful track jobs, from the tracking itself to what led up to this stressful task… maybe it will work in some scenarios, but it could also hurt.

One example I can think of is trying to track at night in thick brush and you decide to cover ground with the thermal, but it’s largely useless in the brush and you just walked all over and disturbed the vegetation and ground so when you come back in the light, or decide the thermal isn’t working in this scenario, you just screwed yourself.

I guess it’s all about perspective

OP
P
I think we are all better off relying on as few gadgets as possible, being forced to get better at tracking game (especially in thick cover) is a good thing, even though it doesn’t seem that way at the time… there is always a lot to take away from those tough stressful track jobs, from the tracking itself to what led up to this stressful task… maybe it will work in some scenarios, but it could also hurt.

One example I can think of is trying to track at night in thick brush and you decide to cover ground with the thermal, but it’s largely useless in the brush and you just walked all over and disturbed the vegetation and ground so when you come back in the light, or decide the thermal isn’t working in this scenario, you just screwed yourself.

I guess it’s all about perspective

100%.

Terrible gadget for new guy… ESPECIALLY if it made it easy. He’d never learn and would instead rely. We ALL rely enough; be it weather sites, palm maps, $$, etc.

I was thinking more just as a tool. Kinda like we ALL use weather sites, apps, and so on.

Was also just bored figured I toss it out there. I think a quality piece In the right environment could be helpful. But I treat them like that in many other environments would likely do little good.

Full disclaimer; I bought some $60 flashlight that’s supposed to light up blood. Have never used it. Never. Found one deer around midnight. Best local deer ever killed. That light was in the truck I never even went back for it.

I have had flir monocular for years. Its $4000.00 and wont pick up dead critters if brush is in front of it.
Now if there is 6”x6” hole it will find it from 599 yds away. But i will find every mouse, coon, rat, and rabbit.
Theremal is cool and bave used mine on about 20 recoveries to just see if it helps.
I think 3 it really made the difference.
Open pines at night with terrible blood.

Now saying that if mine dies tomorrow and i could swing another id buy same day.
I have to much fun watching deer and critters at night with it.

OP
P
I am liking the new Danner footbeds! Not that in ever expected a lightweight $220 “boot” to be the the golden ticket, but. It would be Nice if they took the price up $5 and included the $30 beds. Makes money sense for them, but damn.

F8EA8B8B-287F-43F4-9B36-23CEC030F35E.jpegE6385C81-7E1C-4470-8C91-54228D9F0F32.jpegA1ECC680-944F-491A-A65B-A1288F11E156.jpeg0381775F-1556-40DA-A2C8-DC533EC1E0A2.jpeg6591C197-D1C9-48F6-9FC8-3B669E7BFDDE.jpeg

OP
P
Ugh. My feet. I think factory May stay in port side and right gets the fancy.

About to do 3.6 miles with 42 pounds. If I ever hit it rich I will have shoes custom made for my feet that are 1 inch different in size

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Warlord