recovery from shoulder surgery

DudeBro

Lil-Rokslider
I'm having rotator cuff and biceps tendon surgery on my bow arm at the end of November. Has anyone else had a similar surgery and can give me an idea of recovery time - specifically, when I might be able to draw my bow again (even if I have to drop down to like 50# draw weight)?

kopecsean

FNG
My roommate just had that done exactly. Happened on July 4th. Just got out of a sling last week and started PT. It's still pains him to shift a 5 speed in a toyota truck

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
D

DudeBro

Lil-Rokslider
My roommate just had that done exactly. Happened on July 4th. Just got out of a sling last week and started PT. It's still pains him to shift a 5 speed in a toyota truck

Has his PT given him any prognosis for recovery? I'm hoping to start shooting again by at least May.

kopecsean

FNG
It has been super strict on keeping the sling on and his physical therapy they told him 6 months

kopecsean

FNG
Like I mentioned he was super strict with his recovery.

OP
D

DudeBro

Lil-Rokslider
I am pretty familiar with it being an Orthopaedic surgeon and avid bowhunter...

For greater fidelity of my injuries, here's some highlights from my most recent MRI. Keep in mind, many of these problems were catalyzed by a gnarly MTB crash in 2013 that separated my AC joint.

---

Acromioclavicular joint: Degenerative changes. Low-lying lateral acromion. Well-corticated ossicle near the AC joint is better visualized on comparison radiograph.

Mild subacromial/subdeltoid bursitis.

6 mm, articular sided tear at the distal supraspinatus tendon (image 7, series 4) near the humeral attachment. Mild distal infraspinatus tendinopathy.

Mild fraying of the superior labrum near the biceps tendon attachment

Cystic changes noted near the lesser tuberosity.

1. Low-grade, articular sided tear of the distal supraspinatus tendon. 2. Mild subacromial/subdeltoid bursitis. 3. Acromioclavicular osteoarthritis with low-lying lateral acromion. Recommend correlation for impingement syndrome.

---

Most painful/difficult movements are lifting my arm laterally beyond 70 degrees (i.e., how you hold a bow, jumping jacks, etc.) and throwing motion.

Surgical plan prior to this MRI was a biceps tenodesis and subacromial decompression.

brsnow

WKR
I had rotator cuff surgery 6/11, everyone is different and it is a truly humbling experience. I am basically at full Mobility and starting to really gain strength, still at 5lb weight limit. I am hunting 1st season rifle here in CO with 85 gr TSX out of my .270. I certainly would not want a range day. I am fortunate to have a great support system and PTs. Don’t rush it, you do not want to do it again. I can say I am happy I had it done but nothing really prepped me for the methodical recovery and consistent pain the first 3.5-4 months.

137buck

Lil-Rokslider
I've had both shoulders done with the same surgery, the left one, I had to have the joint reconstructed as it was misshaped. The left one took me 7 months to be able to be back to normal and the right one was 9 months, granted, my tendons were complete tears and the doc had to reattach them with titanium plates and kevlar stitching. The biggest thing I learned, was don't overdo it with the rehab, that is why my right shoulder took longer to heal. When you have the surgery, make sure they give you a polar cuff, and use plastic cups to freeze water, take that ice and stack it in the polar cuff and then fill the empty areas with ice cubes and then fill with water, I found it'll last almost all night and you'll be able to sleep. Otherwise if you do it with just ice cubes, it won't last as long and you're shoulder will start to hurt and wake you up. Be forewarned, it's going to hurt, but it'll go away and you'll be pain free after it's all said and done.

pirogue

WKR
Lot of variables in asking a question like that. Extent of surgery can be different in different people. I’ve had it done and was shooting again in, seems like 5 or 6 months. Main things are you want a good doctor, and a good therapist. Drive to another town for surgery, if you get a more reputable doctor. And for a therapist, don’t pick some pretty little young ballerina. You want the biggest, meanest looking dude in the joint, because in therapy, hurting is healing. And the older you are, the longer it may take.

OP
D

DudeBro

Lil-Rokslider
Main things are you want a good doctor, and a good therapist. Drive to another town for surgery, if you get a more reputable doctor. And for a therapist, don’t pick some pretty little young ballerina.

I don't get much say in surgeon or PT. I get what the military gives me.

Looking at a minimum of a three months likely 4-6 months...I am pretty familiar with it being an Orthopaedic surgeon and avid bowhunter...

Do you have any advice on preventing this down the road? At 21 I’ve already had UCL reconstruction (with ulnar nerve relocation) and rotator cuff sounds like it isn’t exactly a bundle of joy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

137buck

Lil-Rokslider
Lot of variables in asking a question like that. Extent of surgery can be different in different people. I’ve had it done and was shooting again in, seems like 5 or 6 months. Main things are you want a good doctor, and a good therapist. Drive to another town for surgery, if you get a more reputable doctor. And for a therapist, don’t pick some pretty little young ballerina. You want the biggest, meanest looking dude in the joint, because in therapy, hurting is healing. And the older you are, the longer it may take.
I had a woman therapist who was the meanest one out of the bunch, my doc, who is a family friend and my surgeon, recommended her and she beat the hell out of me, but was also the best one for me, as she was able to break the scar tissue and get my mobility back, which by the way, hurt like hell, as it was the last chance before they were going to knock me out to do it if it didn't break loose. She even told me, the day before, to dope up on my pain pills cause it's going to hurt and she was smiling...it kind of scared me.

Rob5589

WKR
I had a bicep tendon repair in 09. Took about 4 months before I was able to do normal stuff; about a year to be 100% full strength and range of motion.

amassi

WKR
Distal bicep tendon surgery
Shooting my bow at 16 weeks
Weakest thing easy back and shoulders so I invested in the crossover symmetry bands. Best purchase I've made. Still use them twice a day

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

OP
D

DudeBro

Lil-Rokslider
I invested in the crossover symmetry bands. Best purchase I've made. Still use them twice a day
I bought a set too. They are really good. I've got the 7 and 15 pound bands, but feel like I need one in between for some stuff and one heavier for others. I can't do many of the movements w/o pain.