Recreational Shooting in the Rock Pit

Today, I had to get out for awhile.... I loading my shooting stuff in the truck and headed to the Rock Pit hoping that nobody would be there since it was a work day. But then again, right now it is really hard to count on there are lot of people not working.

Got to the pit around noon and I had it to myself - social distancing was not a problem at all.

The goal of the trip was to get my Western ULite sighted in at 100 yards. I had done some preliminary work at Guske's farm so I knew I was very close. Recently, I had received a couple 'discontinued' bullets from Lehigh Defense. They were were made back in the early Bloodline days. I was really interested on the .500x325CF to see if that bullet might shoot sabotlessly. Another bullet that was no longer being sold was a .458x325CF-HP. I volunteered to take some of those also just out of curiosity. Both bullets arrives a few days ago and I have been getting them ready for test shooting. The .500's I did install a cut knurl through the top factory knurl to, in my mind, help stabilize and insure them grabbing the lands on the way up the bore. After looking a the .458x325's I was really concerned they were so long they would not stabilize in a 1/28 twist bore.

If you look closely at the .500 sitting on top of the MMP Sub-base you can see the cut line through the the top factory knurling. Same if you look at the .458 placed in the MMP Sabot - there is a lot of bullet sticking out of the sabot.

Set 6 clays out on the wall at the end of the Rock Pit. I started out with the .458's - shooting two of them at the clays. Both bullets arrived on target and sorta blew the birds up. I was really happy with that - they did stabilize and they shot accurately! The remaining four bird would be done in with 4 of the .500x325's. I should have taken a pic of the original clay layout, but at the beginning I wasn't so sure of how the rifle might shoot the bullets. With one bird left I did click a picture and then shot the clay to heck with a .500x325CF-HP.

This group of pictures might give you more thought on what I was doing...

20-4-16-West-Ulite-Shoot.jpg

It was a very good day out of the house!!!