Recurve bow choice

If you are new to traditional archery, remember that tuning is different than a compound. Tune to bow for noise and handshock though brace height adjustments. Then tune the arrow to the bow through different spines, arrow length, nocking point location and point weight. Lots of good bareshaft tuning info out there.

TX_Diver

WKR
I'd also recommend a cheap ILF. I might sell my white feather lark in a few weeks. Look them up and if that is of interest shoot me a PM.

Rob5589

WKR
Would you use feathers or vanes on the arrows...im looking at some bare shaft black eagle arrows
Feathers for shooting off shelf. I've used Trad Vanes, which are designed to shoot off shelf, but found them too delicate and finicky. I currently use 4 2" Trueflight shield cut. No problem stabilizing a broadhead.

Last edited:
If you are new to traditional archery, remember that tuning is different than a compound. Tune to bow for noise and handshock though brace height adjustments. Then tune the arrow to the bow through different spines, arrow length, nocking point location and point weight. Lots of good bareshaft tuning info out there.
Great advice. If you have a chronograph, you can use that and just look for the brace height that gives you the best speed. Start low and work your way up a couple twists at a time, shooting a few arrows at each adjustment to make sure you don't make a decision based on a crappy release. Helpful to have a friend watch/film over your shoulder to see how arrow flight looks if possible. Noise/handshock is totally valid if you don't have the chronograph, just maybe a little more challenging to get right.

Feathers for shooting off shelf. I've used Trad Vanes, which are designed to shoot off shelf, but found them to delicate and finicky. I currently use 4 2" Trueflight shield cut. No problem stabilizing a broadhead.
I had the exact same experience with Trad Vanes and ended up with the exact same fletching config.

ClayHunts

FNG
I have the hoyt satori with uukha gobi limbs. I love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ScottinPA

WKR
Good choice. If you didn't go with that I would've recommended a Black Hunter or TopArchery TD recurve off Amazon. Good starter bows.

Don't make it too complicated or it'll quit being fun. Get it close and focus on form. You won't be able to tell if its you or the bow at first anyway.

Google basic tuning for a recurve. I'd start at a brace height at 8".

I'd recommend GT trad blems if you can find them. Probably 500 spine. Get a few 50gr inserts and 175 gr field tips. Based on what you've said I'd cut them at 30" fletch up 3-4 and start flinging. Research form and work on it After awhile you'll get to the point where you can bareshaft and tune the arrow to the bow because your form isn't giving as much false info.

Find your draw length by clipping a spring close pin at about 27" from nock groove. Draw to your anchor and let the pin slide. Do it several times and get an average measurement to the pin. That's rough draw length. From that we can get you closer on arrow length and tip weight.

Find someone local to help you.

OP
Andrewlonghi
NE FLORIDA in a small town called Palatka
Did you use the limbs that came with the samick sage or did you switch to another pair. Just curious I've just about got my funds up for my trad journey. I've watched so many videos and read articles it's hard to get a starting point. Don't really have a pro shop around my area that's big on trad