Recurve Bow for Hunting Deer?

I started with the recurve, switched to compound and shot that for hunting and competitively for years and then picked up the recurve about 10 years ago just to have a little fun. Shot a dozen deer with the recurve but never got to draw on an elk. I kill most of my critters close so I can't say it really affected my success much if anything. I went back to the compound mainly for hunting because 1) I was getting some chronic numbness in my finger tips and 2) I like the horsepower on elk as I have a short draw. I still use my morrison ILF for deer and I would highly recommend any quality ILF to start as you can get lighter limbs and work your way up to hunting weight. Two things I miss about my recurve - the light weight and glassing off of it!

Rmuncey

FNG
Shoot as many bows as you can before buying a high end bow if you want to start shooting buy a black hunter off Amazon for 150.00 bucks to see if you like it first

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

khunter1

FNG
I havent shot a compound for awhile now. It is frustrating at first with a recurve but if you want to stick with it, stick with it! don't let the frustration get to you and you will become as comfortable with one as you were with a compound. Just don't give up on it at first. Adn read a lot on tuning arrows etc, if shooting off the shelf it helpds a ton on understanding what is going on when you release that arrow.

I have not personally owned a black hunter, however I will be getting one soon. I knwo too many people with one that love them for the price. No, it is not some $1000 custom longbow or recurve but it will shoot well enough and train well enough to harvest a deer. And they are like $109 on Amazon. I personally am a bear fan, I have some expensive ones and some old grayling bows that didn't cost me too much, You can pick up a nice used recurve for a fair price to get started.

DO NOT over bow yourself on a recurve or longbow or you will set yourself up for failure. 40# is a great starting point, even 45# will be "dooable". If you try and start with a 55 or over # traditional bow it will onyl add to the frustration. I went through the higher pound bows and honestly, all my bows are 45# now. They harvest deer just the same as a 60# bow and I havent had one make it yet, nor have I not had a pass through with 45#. Just my advice!

It is a great feeling harvesting your first deer with a traditional bow, I hope you get into and have success!

Best of luck!

FNG
Every available bow now is pretty much a decent hunting weapon if set up right. A Samick Sage can shoot as well as any high priced custom bow.
Beginners just don't know how to tune a bow and are mostly unwilling to stick with it. In addition, they buy crap arrows and will yield the results of this choice.
And don't fall for "best" affiliate shit on amazon BS sites. Go to the traditional forums and use the search function or read the how to guides etc.