Recurve Finish Questions

Ifunk

FNG
I bought a great used recurve on here recently and it just arrived in the mail. I love my current hunting bow and wanted a backup with the same draw weight, so I jumped at the chance since the company is no longer in business(Predator).

When it got here I gave it a good wipedown with just a damp cloth and decided to put a coat of wax on it. I had a couple options and decided to go with some high end wax I bought for my tools believing it didn't have solvents in it(Renaissance). Well I quickly waxed on and waxed off and noticed it left swirls the finish. And the riser felt a bit tacky. I knew at this point I had made a bonehead mistake. A quick search revealed it does have a small amount of white spirit in it.

I guess the saying "Kill it with kindness" applies in this situation. I was trying to protect the bow but maybe this is completely unnecessary. The last time I went elk hunting it rained so hard and was so moist that my broadheads were orange with rust when I pulled them out of the quiver.

Any thoughts on a good wax or what to do in this situation?

Thanks in advance

oldgoat

WKR
Hard to beat Vaseline for the broadheads, don't know what to tell you about the bow finish, I don't ever do anything other than maybe a damp cloth for my bow other than when I replace the shelf and strike plates, then I'll use acetone or alcohol to get the old adhesive off, never had an issue with the finish coming off

LostArra

WKR
chapstick on the broadheads

I've used plain old Johnson's paste wax on bows and wood arrows. It's not permanent protection but works

To touch up a finish I always used thinned Helmsman spar urethane, wiped on in thin coats with light sanding. That was the finish I put on my selfbows. First coat or two was high gloss. It's supposed to be harder. Then I finished with multiple coat of matte finish.

Wrench

WKR
I'd be dang surprised if you hurt it a bit. Thunderbird is catalyzed and pretty tough stuff. Perhaps a reaction to the finish....but nothing damaging to bow would be my guess.

OP
I

Ifunk

FNG
I'd be dang surprised if you hurt it a bit. Thunderbird is catalyzed and pretty tough stuff. Perhaps a reaction to the finish....but nothing damaging to bow would be my guess.
Thanks Wrench. Is thunderbird a type of finish? I'd be hesitant to do anything too drastic as it just moved the top layer of finish around a bit. it's not like it took all of it off. If I wasn't a woodworker I probably wouldn't be sweating the appearance as much, but that's the perfectionist in me. And I want good protection. You're in WA so I know you understand this. :) If I still lived in AZ it would probably be a different story.

Thanks to everyone for the insight and suggestions. I think instead of my backup bow this just became my primary hunting bow as it's just going to get more and more abused.