Recurve for a newish guy

Beendare

WKR
Saying that shooting a stick bow is as easy as a compound...that its all archery? Ha!

Have you been to a trad shoot lately?

I can get a guy shooting softball size groups at 20 yds with a compound in 15 minutes....that just doesn't happen with stick bows....and you can go to any range or shop in the country to prove it.

I stand by my comment that stick bows have a higher degree of difficulty.

_______

OP
SlickStickSlinger

SlickStickSlinger

Lil-Rokslider
30 inches on my compound. I could swear I should be 31" My span divided by 2.5 is 31.

The Dryad riser appeals a lot to me. I like a wood riser. But that is just by looking. Apparently aluminum and carbon riser are more stout so to speak on the shot. But getting into wood is getting back to more traditional in my eyes.

I've been reading spending on the riser is a good idea to start if I am going to spend anywhere at first. I could probably float the money in a couple months for something nicer like the Dryads.

I have also been reading that the overall length should be at least twice my draw or 40 inches longer than my draw length. 70 inches potentially? Is this true?

Last edited:

Beendare

WKR
30 inches on my compound. I could swear I should be 31" My span divided by 2.5 is 31.

The Dryad riser appeals a lot to me. I like a wood riser. But that is just by looking. Apparently aluminum and carbon riser are more stout so to speak on the shot. But getting into wood is getting back to more traditional in my eyes.

I've been reading spending on the riser is a good idea to start if I am going to spend anywhere at first. I could probably float the money in a couple months for something nicer like the Dryads.

I have also been reading that the overall length should be at least twice my draw or 40 inches longer than my draw length. 70 inches potentially? Is this true?
CAFB8397-FC93-4757-A0D6-62F371D05A8F.jpeg
this is my 19” Dryad riser, Dryad makes some good stuff.... but so do a lot of outfits. I skinned those ILF limbs with snake skins to hide the graphics. FYI there is no discernable flex in these custom wood risers and many others are probably better looking than this one. There may be flex in the cheap Chinese wood risers.

30-31” DL you want a 19” riser- longer if it was just for target.... But a very long recurve is tough to hunt with.
The limbs you choose will have more effect on how it stacks/feels at a long drawn length. You will want to go ILF longs and 64” is your min length recurve-is my take.

___

Last edited:

Kentucky

WKR
Plenty of good wood risers out there, but you don’t know what grip is best, quiver mounts/no quiver mounts?, shelf, rest, you don’t really know. That’s why I suggest metal riser to newbies.

You said wood for more traditional.. which has zero to do with it. There is nothing traditional about a riser being made of wood with modern processes and materials than metal. With all the other modern materialsSo don’t get hung up on that either..

19” riser would be shortest for you I would think with xl limbs..

I would go 21” riser with long limbs, find more of each used in many classified ads..

If you want new check out win&win black elk riser, under 200$, set of black max limbs, 150$ free shipping from Lancaster archery and your shooting.. main objective here, getting you shooting... that rig would be more capable than 90% of single string archers out there.., then if all is good, start buying all kinds of stuff.. before you know it you’ll have 10 bows!!

my take on it.

OP
SlickStickSlinger

SlickStickSlinger

Lil-Rokslider
View attachment 157115
this is my 19” Dryad riser, Dryad makes some good stuff.... but so do a lot of outfits. I skinned those ILF lingd with snake skins to hide the graphics. FYI there is no discernable flex in these custom wood risers.There may be flex in the chinese cheapies.

30-31” dl you want a 19” riser- longer if it was just for target.... But a very long recurve is tough to hunt with.
The limbs you choose will have more effect on how it stacks at a long drawn length. You will want to go long or XL for 64” min recurve is my take.
To me that looks elegant. I would even say classy. The wooden bows seem to jive well in my eyes.

However,

Plenty of good wood risers out there, but you don’t know what grip is best, quiver mounts/no quiver mounts?, shelf, rest, you don’t really know. That’s why I suggest metal riser to newbies.

You said wood for more traditional.. which has zero to do with it. There is nothing traditional about a riser being made of wood with modern processes and materials than metal. With all the other modern materialsSo don’t get hung up on that either..

19” riser would be shortest for you I would think with xl limbs..

I would go 21” riser with long limbs, find more of each used in many classified ads..

If you want new check out win&win black elk riser, under 200$, set of black max limbs, 150$ free shipping from Lancaster archery and your shooting.. main objective here, getting you shooting... that rig would be more capable than 90% of single string archers out there.., then if all is good, start buying all kinds of stuff.. before you know it you’ll have 10 bows!!

my take on it.

Okay okay. I know you are right and I shouldnt go off buying a thousand dollar bow just because I think it looks nice. You are absolutely right about finding the right fit first, even if that means having an extra bow to know for sure. I was actually looking at the one you suggested from Lancaster until I noticed it being made of metal. But the logic makes more sense.

Besides, I can afford that bow a lot closer to now than to April which will get me shooting it while I sight in and tune my compound.

Is my form going to need to change dramatically between compound and recurve? Is that awkward shooting back and forth?

Kentucky

WKR
I wouldn’t think your form would change all that much, but it’s possible..your anchor prolly will if you are using a release with compound.. you are 31” I wouldn’t get over 40# limbs.. prolly more like 35#.., cranked down with your DL 35# limbs will be right at 42# prolly.. you could easily hunt turkey and whitetails with the right arrow..and if you need a heavier set come bigger game, just 150$ or less away.

Getting to anchor with a string bow with no “break” or “let off” like your compound will be more difficult to keep your alignment good without thinking about it.. hence the light limbs to start with.. gotta get the motions, shot cycle down and correct every time so you can be efficient, other wise you truly are in for a frustrating start.

OP
SlickStickSlinger

SlickStickSlinger

Lil-Rokslider
I believe all who say to shoot lighter and work up. I'm doing the MTNTOUGH program but that doesn't mean I can jump into good form holding that much weight.
I'm hoping that holding with my fingers will at the least open the door for thumb releases or the nockon type releases. Wrist/index release that I use now and how I anchor it doesn't really appear to be the same as a takedown type bow.
My anchor hand with compound is more perpendicular to face where-as the recurve guys look to be more parallel to face.
Time will tell.

I'll post a photo when the new bow arrives and some first group photos. Appreciate everyone following along and helping me through this.

Last edited: