Recurve newbie

lab-roamer

Lil-Rokslider
I've been interested in getting into traditional archery. I'm mostly interested in shooting a recurve. Anyways looking to pick up a bow that won't break the bank but that isn't junk either. Anybody have any recommendations? Maybe someone wants to upgrade or has one laying around.

Thanks in advance

OreTK

FNG
I've been interested in getting into traditional archery. I'm mostly interested in shooting a recurve. Anyways looking to pick up a bow that won't break the bank but that isn't junk either. Anybody have any recommendations? Maybe someone wants to upgrade or has one laying around.

Thanks in advance

Hope this is allowable? The classifieds on the tradgang dot com website usually has a lot of used bows. For $400 or so you can find a damn good bow if you know what you're looking for.

Hoyts n Mulies

Lil-Rokslider
Don't get too heavy of a bow to learn with! I can easily pull an 80lb compound bow all day but cannot shoot a 60lb recurve comfortably for 5 minutes. Shooting trad bows is just plain fun and challenging though!

Last edited:

Broken Arrow

Lil-Rokslider
I'd check pawn shop flea markets leatherwall or trad gang classifieds. If you're just learning I'd start 45lb or less 50 max. To much bow can teach a lot of bad habits. And remember aim small miss small. My 2cents.

Broken Arrow

Lil-Rokslider
One more thing yes a #60 bow will get ya more pass throughs than a 40 but if you can't shoot it well and put an arrow where your looking doesn't make one bit of difference because you'll either miss or worse wound a critter.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
+2 on the Martin, Bear recurves. If you look around you can find them fairly cheap. I would look in the 45 to 55# range. Then start flinging some arrows:)

As far as a bow on a budget, 3 Rivers Archery told me that Samick makes great bows for someone interested in trying it out. They've got bows from something like $130 all the way up and you can also switch out to heavier limbs as you get stronger. I've also heard of checking out classifieds on sites like Tradgang. I'm looking at a Tradtech Pinnacle 2. Seems like a decent intermediate factory bow, plus I can later upgrade to better quality limbs. Just my 2 cents, good luck and have fun with it!

Tyler

The Samick bows are great starter bows, we have a few new guys in league that shoot them. I'd recommend starting with 45#, or you'll pick up bad form issues. Used bows off Trad gang, are a good source too...if you do some research on the bow offered and the seller.

dot 1

FNG
i sold a martin dream catcher for 250 and have been seeing quite a few of them around for up to 350. definately agreat bow to get going on. 50-55

# max to start though. +1 on the stalkers from south.