Recurve Shopping

Hi guys, my 30 some year old recurve just kicked the bucket. I'm looking for a 50# 60" one piece recurve. As a lot of you guys seem to be pros what are some recommendations for something that shoots Quite nice but doesn't cost an arm a leg and a head ??

Ps: I would Prefer not to have to custom order one ...

ODB

WKR
Super Kodiaks and Martin Hunters are damn nice off the shelf.

But there is also a huge used bow market.

Kind of depends on what style bow you like and what your price range is.

OP
T
Thank you! I've done a bit of research on Martin and quite like what people have to say about it. I will definitely pursue that option...

I have a rack of high end bows...ACS, Centaur, Big Jim, Widow. Recently bought a Chinese Black Hunter take down longbow on ebay for $100 for a travel back-up. Benn using as my primary bow now. just killed 5 hogs with it and plan to take north for bear in 30 days. These are rock solid darn good bows. They have longbows and recurves. A standard and Elite ($129).
Was at our state shoot Saturday and bumped in to 3 guys with them. we all agreed they are a great value.
Limbs are black so I put on stealth strip camo.
They can be marketed under many names but look is same and always say Black Hunter

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Ordering custom bows is cool but it sort of sucks too. You drop the $$$ then wait. I’ve done it twice now. It is cool though to have something close to what you want. I had a bear super kodiak that I used for about a week before realizing that it just wasn’t going to work for me so I went the custom route.

You might take a look at 3 rivers archery or even call them, they have some bows that aren’t super expensive.

That bear kodiak that another guy mentioned is like 800 dollars so by the time you bought that, you could have gotten something much better from a custom maker.

My bowfishing setup is an edge hyper bow from 3 rivers. Seems like it would be ok for a back yard shooter, I think it was like 150.00 dollars.

inyago

FNG
If you want a bow that you don't need to worry about banging up, scratching ect get the blackhunter..
It'll do everything any custom will do and for way less.. But Damon Howett and bear make some good solid
hunting recurves.. The b/h has a good grip for me personally.

Rob5589

WKR
Another option is an ILF set up. Ton of limb and riser options from inexpensive and up. Lots of performance to be had from even lower cost options according to those that have them. I just picked up a used set of limbs and an open box riser for a bit over 300. Springy rest for 20, already have a new string. Should be a shooter for not much cash outlay.

What’s the best American-made bang for the buck? I’m looking to buy one and getting back into archery after a 10 year hiatus.

galamb

FNG
What’s the best American-made bang for the buck? I’m looking to buy one and getting back into archery after a 10 year hiatus.

In addition to some of the suggestions (Black Widow would be near the top of my list if looking for another one) Take a look at Bob Lee bows as well - does some really nice work and always has a handful of "ready to go" if you are not looking to wait for a custom build.

Kind of depends on what style of bow you like and what your budget is.

I was leaning towards a recurve... don’t have a budget in mind but not looking to go too big. Willing to pay extra for US made or shying away from something that’ll get replaced in a year or two.

Primary use would be practice out back and maybe sticking a few whitetail (25 yds max). I’m 6’3” and shot compound for about 20 years if that helps with anything on recommendations.

Wrench

WKR
What bow did you have and what did you enjoy and dislike about it?

I'd suggest a call to RMS and discuss it with them. They have about a zillion bows on the rack. I have quite a few and no two are the same.

If you can compromise "soul" the ILF is the easiest way to get a great shooting bow.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
If I was buying a recurve right now, I’d give that toelke chinook or super static a long look.

I just got a black widow PSA and it’s awesome but it was 1300.00. That being said though, they make exactly what you want. They pretty much have endless wood choices, half a dozen grip choices etc.

Last edited:

PatrickW

FNG
If your willing to spend around $400, you might want to try Bodnick/Bearpaw bows. Most of them come with either a 30 year or lifetime warranty. Plus, they’re some great shooters.

3Rivers and Kustom King both carry some of their bows.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I'm more interested in longbows but I wanted a good recurve so I decided to bu once, cry once. Black widow build exactly what I wanted and at the moment I don't know that I'll ever get another recurve. That being said, the more I look at the Toelke Super Static and the Centaur super Curve, those are where I'd spend my money if I didn't have the Black Widow.

Blackcow

WKR
I have 2 toelke super statics, a one piece and a 2 piece. I like them both so much I’ve sold most of my other recurves. I’m keeping 1 ilf, my 1st Bob Lee I bought, the Bob Lee exotic my wife got me, and that’s it. They’ll hang and I’ll shoot and hunt with the Toelkes. Having said that, and as much as I’d like to sell the B.L. Blackhawk I have in the classifieds, I don’t think I’d recommend spending that kind of money even for used. I think you have to find out what you like and don’t like 1st. If you can borrow, buy super cheap or whatever that’s what I’d do.

I just bought a Super Kodiak and it’s been a great shooter. Have a Grizzly and a Kodiak 59’ and the Super K is my favorite out of the 3.

Shoot ability of the Grizzly with the speed of the 59’

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I just bought a Super Kodiak and it’s been a great shooter. Have a Grizzly and a Kodiak 59’ and the Super K is my favorite out of the 3.

Shoot ability of the Grizzly with the speed of the 59’
What is your draw length and weight on the super kodiak? I had one and it seemed terrible for me. Stacking, hard to hold steady, finger pinch etc. I liked the square edge of the grip though.

Bow is 55# @ 28”. My draw is 26” so it’s probably somewhere right around 50 lbs.

No stacking obviously and no finger pinch, very pleasant bow to shoot