Recurve Shopping

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Bow is 55# @ 28”. My draw is 26” so it’s probably somewhere right around 50 lbs.

No stacking obviously and no finger pinch, very pleasant bow to shoot

I wish I had the same experience, I’d wanted Fred bear bows for so long. I finally got around to getting back to archery and bought a few and just hated them. Went custom with black widow and bivouac and I’ll never go back.

I have only been shooting trad for 8 months but am on my 4th bow and have found that it seems what one guy loves another can’t shoot worth a damn. The big complaint with the SK was the high wrist grip but I find it very comfortable. I had a Satori which everyone raves about but I didn’t care for.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I have only been shooting trad for 8 months but am on my 4th bow and have found that it seems what one guy loves another can’t shoot worth a damn. The big complaint with the SK was the high wrist grip but I find it very comfortable. I had a Satori which everyone raves about but I didn’t care for.

I’m not a fan of the satori either.

Bails-UK

FNG
For the money, you won't beat the Bearpaw/Bodnik Slick Stick, just an awesome bow, 58" long, bamboo backed, no stack, smooth draw, 30yr guarantee and shoots a dream. I have a 40lb Slick Stick and 49lb Big Jim Buffalo, and love them both, they're keepers for sure. My Buffalo is personally the best looking bow I've ever seen, definitely worth the ££££ I paid to have made and shipped to UK. Good luck in your search.

High dollar piece of art big Jim mountain monarch or toelke Chinook . Man those are Purdy(I know you said no custom . Maybe rethink the buy once cry once) . Bang for the buck bearpaw# bodnick. Not sure how far you are from Kalamazoo Michigan or your timing. They usually have a giant rendezvous in January where you could handle or shoot a bow. Some of the custom bows can take 6-12 months to get if not in stock. It would be nice to shoot/handle one before spending the cash. Not sure if any of these bowyers would send you a used "stock" bow with a deposit to trial first? If your ambitious and handy with tools look around you can find a "bow blank " to finish(lots of time). Used, check out RMS, FOOTED SHAFT, big jim, website trad gang . Imported three rivers, kustom king, big box outdoor stores .Lots of otions out there. Good luck

On a lucky whim I bought a Bob Lee Hunter, 60" 57lbs at 28" and it is super quiet, lotsa KE and oh so comfortable. I have an $8K bow from Blacktail that doesn't feel as nice as the BLH.

BL3.JPGBL1.JPGBL2.JPG

Satoris suck, way too heavy.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
On a lucky whim I bought a Bob Lee Hunter, 60" 57lbs at 28" and it is super quiet, lotsa KE and oh so comfortable. I have an $8K bow from Blacktail that doesn't feel as nice as the BLH.

View attachment 406252View attachment 406253View attachment 406254

I like the camo on that bow. I’ve never handled a Bob Lee but I looked at them when I was looking at different custom bows.

The satori bows that I handled were clunky and heavy, just didn’t seem like something I’d want to hunt with but as we all know, that is 100% subjective. I have a bivouac backland set up as a 62” longbow 55lbs at 28” and I pull a bit over 29. That is a good bow, it’s an ilf but it’s a really slimmed down design. That bow is light, quiet enough and it shoots well. I really enjoy it. I think that bivouac makes some great bows, they are priced a bit cheaper than lots of other companies and generally they only have a 4-6 week wait time. If bivouac made what I wanted, I’d not hesitate to buy from them again. My black widow is a great now too, very quiet and accurate with a killer grip (cooling grip) but it was expensive and took around 7 months to get. I believe I paid 1300 dollars for it. The bivouac backland was 850.00.

There’s really only a few bows I’d be interested in right now if I was going to buy another:
-centaur super curve
-toelke whip
-toelke super static

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"

View attachment 406252View attachment 406253View attachment 406254

I like the camo on that bow. I’ve never handled a Bob Lee but I looked at them when I was looking at different custom bows.

The satori bows that I handled were clunky and heavy, just didn’t seem like something I’d want to hunt with but as we all know, that is 100% subjective. I have a bivouac backland set up as a 62” longbow 55lbs at 28” and I pull a bit over 29. That is a good bow, it’s an ilf but it’s a really slimmed down design. That bow is light, quiet enough and it shoots well. I really enjoy it. I think that bivouac makes some great bows, they are priced a bit cheaper than lots of other companies and generally they only have a 4-6 week wait time. If bivouac made what I wanted, I’d not hesitate to buy from them again. My black widow is a great now too, very quiet and accurate with a killer grip (cooling grip) but it was expensive and took around 7 months to get. I believe I paid 1300 dollars for it. The bivouac backland was 850.00.

There’s really only a few bows I’d be interested in right now if I was going to buy another:
-centaur super curve
-toelke whip
-toelke super static

Kentucky

WKR
I just listed a toelke chinook in the classifieds… it’s and awesome bow, but I’m gonna stick with my gen2 DAS…

quah

FNG
If your not set on a new bow you may consider shopping one of the trad bow sites for a used Morrison, Widow , Bob Lee etc.. you can get a lot of bang for your buck especially this time of year when folks are sellling.
Custom bow at factory price.

"doesn't cost an arm a leg and a head ??" --- this is relative to the observer.

A specific range of prices would help.

These are all great options everyone is listing. My go to is a BlackWidow PCH and a Bear Takedown. Two of the best hunting bows ever built in my opinion. Toelke makes a excellent bow. I never had the opportunity to shoot a big Jim’s but never heard a bad thing about them. If your looking for a cheaper USA made bow I’d pick up a bear Grizzly or Kodiak hunter. Their price isn’t bad but they have a good resale if you decide to sell.

These are all great options everyone is listing. My go to is a BlackWidow PCH and a Bear Takedown. Two of the best hunting bows ever built in my opinion. Toelke makes a excellent bow. I never had the opportunity to shoot a big Jim’s but never heard a bad thing about them. If your looking for a cheaper USA made bow I’d pick up a bear Grizzly or Kodiak hunter. Their price isn’t bad but they have a good resale if you decide to sell.
I just bought a Bear takedown, and man, am I impressed with my shooting so far. I still have some kinks in my form to work out with it, but I’m surprised how well I’m shooting.