recurve vs super recurve... draw effort

Seeknelk

WKR
I started out with hex 9s then a couple sets of max 6s. Really odd dfc for sure. I got my 1st regular recurve coming, hopefully this next week. Currently shooting longbows.
The super curves made settling in very awkward for me, though I was brand new to all this when shooting them. I much prefer the stiffer back end with the longbows Im currently shooting.
Wish I still had my tribute/max 6 set up though just to compare side by side.
I think if I ever get the itch for a metal riser super curve set up again I will talk over a limb with Brandon that gets me absolutely maxing them out so as to get a little stack happening back at 30” if that’s possible. Longs on a 19” riser definitely felt like I had plenty to go even pulling mid 50s
Mile late to this. But I've been pretty intrigued by the super curves. One thing that has me not bothering spending the dough on them is that very few of the best target shooters use them. Some is sponsorship etc I'm sure. But for instance John Demmer likes a standard limb with some stiffness in the back wall. Although I'm sure he could shoot anything well...he uses what works for him.
Any Oly shooter use a super curve? Honestly curious.
Another thought...like so many things with our bows is there is a honeymoon period. Like it feels awesome etc but after a while it just feels normal and your back to shooting an arrow as well as you can. Dialing form and the mental strength. The real keys.
I wish I had a pile of the limbs to try tho that's for sure! Sounds fun

Rob5589

WKR
Mile late to this. But I've been pretty intrigued by the super curves. One thing that has me not bothering spending the dough on them is that very few of the best target shooters use them. Some is sponsorship etc I'm sure. But for instance John Demmer likes a standard limb with some stiffness in the back wall. Although I'm sure he could shoot anything well...he uses what works for him.
Another thought...like so many things with our bows is there is a honeymoon period. Like it feels awesome etc but after a while it just feels normal and your back to shooting an arrow as well as you can. Dialing form and the mental strength. The real keys.
I wish I had a pile of the limbs to try tho that's for sure! Sounds fun
I would think that a SC would be more beneficial to a hunter than a target archer; greater power stroke for the draw weight.

Seeknelk

WKR
I started out with hex 9s then a couple sets of max 6s. Really odd dfc for sure. I got my 1st regular recurve coming, hopefully this next week. Currently shooting longbows.
The super curves made settling in very awkward for me, though I was brand new to all this when shooting them. I much prefer the stiffer back end with the longbows Im currently shooting.
Wish I still had my tribute/max 6 set up though just to compare side by side.
I think if I ever get the itch for a metal riser super curve set up again I will talk over a limb with Brandon that gets me absolutely maxing them out so as to get a little stack happening back at 30” if that’s possible. Longs on a 19” riser definitely felt like I had plenty to go even pulling mid 50s
I wish I had a pile of the limbs to try tho that's for sure!
I would think that a SC would be more beneficial to a hunter than a target archer; greater power stroke for the draw weight.
Absolutely! If all else is equal... accuracy of the shooter ,noise ,etc..

qwerksc

WKR
I’m shooting the dryad rctx acs limbs, not super recurve, but, a bad ass limb for sure. Was shooting tt 2.0 carbon wood black max 40lb, the acs limbs are 45lbs at my draw length and the draw cycle is way smoother and feels like I’m holding less weight.

Bit of a different purpose too. Target archers aren't shooting 10gpp. What's good for target stuff isn't always good for hunting.

OP
roosiebull
Agree, and what I have heard from the pro shooters is SC bows are less forgiving, which was my experience as well

Can a Demmer shoot one really well? Of course, but in that environment, they need to eek out every bit of forgiveness… I think they are an awesome hunting tool if your form/release is dialed… I want another, but I need to kill a couple critters with my couple recurves I already have