red currants

fishslap

WKR
I picked a quart sandwich bag of red currants on my way down from a ptarmigan hunt on Sunday (got one bird). I made three small jars of chutney (sugar, all spice, ginger, red wine vinegar). I tried a small taste and it was potent with the vinegar and sugar but then I put some on sliced elk roast and it was fantastic. It would be good on any kind of bird and probably good with cheese. Do any of you guys make anything with currants? They're fairly abundant and weren't too bad to pick.

Cantharellus

Lil-Rokslider
Sounds amazing! I usually just a snack as I go with currants. Haven't put in the time to collect and bring home any quantities. Which species were they? Ribes montigenum? Those were pretty abundant this year.

PS. Sent you a PM.

OP
F

fishslap

WKR
Sounds amazing! I usually just a snack as I go with currants. Haven't put in the time to collect and bring home any quantities. Which species were they? Ribes montigenum? Those were pretty abundant this year.

PS. Sent you a PM.

I believe that’s the species as they were at tree line and didn’t have the long dried flower remnant like ribes cereum. Below is the recipe. One could try toning down the vinegar and sugar if using it for something other than a meat sauce. Delicious as is for elk.

88fd93002fc805f28cd9015e6619723f.jpg

c93cb926a6d9b2d62b70909d693d78e2.jpg
f0bd7ff5aac0fc9a8e8f2e419024c494.jpg
f2fe6f7f9c52e59a752a50cd3b075ac1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Lurjukka

Banned
Hunting of course, good. But you should know that every hunter should relax before and after the hunt. I call myself a girl with this service. How do you relax?