Red dot on upland gun?

FLS

WKR
No nerve hit. If you’re an instructor you understand fundamentals. None of them apply to shooting a shotgun at a moving target. Red dots on shotguns are fine for static targets. Almost worthless for a flying target.
I was level 2 sporting clays instructor ( haven’t taught in a few years) but i can take a new shooter with adequate gun fit and have them breaking targets constantly in one or two lessons. Contrary to popular belief, unless you’re a giant, a midget, or your head is square your gun most likely fits well enough to constantly break targets and hit birds. Wing shooting is 99% about seeing your target and tempo. After you are consistently hitting targets, then have your gun fit fine tuned.

Last edited:
No nerve hit. If you’re an instructor you understand fundamentals. None of them apply to shooting a shotgun at a moving target. Red dots on shotguns are fine for static targets. Almost worthless for a flying target.
I was level 2 sporting clays instructor ( haven’t taught in a few years) but i can take a new shooter with adequate hunt fit and have them braking targets constantly in one or two lessons. Contrary to popular belief, unless you’re a giant, a midget, or your head is square your gun most likely fits well enough to constantly break targets and hit birds. Wing shooting is 99% about seeing your target and tempo. After you are consistently hitting targets, then have your gun fit fine tuned.
I am the exception to the rule. I have a 16.5" LOP

Shooting more clay pigeons and even maybe getting someone who’s really good to coach you will definitely help you iron out some of your problems even some you didn’t realize you had.

hobbes

WKR
My pheasant shooting improved after I broke the bead off of my 1187. The bead was distracting as heck and I was constantly trying to aim it. I chose not to replace it after realizing how my shooting improved. I try to just mount the gun correctly and not think about lead just the bird. I'm sure that I could still use some coaching because when I swap off to an OU 20 gauge the whole process seems out of sync.

Also, don't over think shooting. Swing through, pull trigger, follow through, watch bird fall. It ain't rocket surgery.