Red dot sight picture (pistol)

kda082

WKR
Not a hunting question. Bought a new XDS with a Crimson Trace red dot. The dot moves which threw me off. Had no idea where to place it but assumed at or just above front sight. Decided to sight it on at 10 yards today and it felt best a ways above the front sight and almost centered. After setting the elevation and windage it was shooting great. This was off my ATV and bag. Off hand was a little shakier. Is this correct? It’s a 3.3 barrel so 10 yards seemed like a good distance to set the zero.

bdg848

WKR
Like a laser? I have no experience with that but I zero my Trijicon RMR at 10 yards. Thats a realistic distance for a defensive gun.

OP
kda082

kda082

WKR
No, like a glass optic with a red dot reflection. I zeroed it at 10 yards centered, but not sure of this is correct or if I should have put it on top of sight post. Even working the google button and YouTube I couldn’t find this. I will say that centered it was shooting great groups but also off bags.

You are in the right track. Zero your dot at the distance you choose the irons will zero at whatever distance they zero , you have no control over that without changing them out to a different height. Check out a video on YouTube from Sagedynamics called slaving the red dot to the irons he explains it in detail.

The dot is supposed to stay at the aiming point if you move your head around. Try putting the pistol in a rest and move your head around and watch the dot. It will move but it should stay on target if that makes sense. So as long as you can see the dot it should hit there.

The dot is supposed to stay at the aiming point if you move your head around. Try putting the pistol in a rest and move your head around and watch the dot. It will move but it should stay on target if that makes sense. So as long as you can see the dot it should hit there.
What he said.
I have a red dot on a pistol and it took a little getting used to, but now it's much faster than irons. I already had the irons sighted in, and since they were tall\cowitness, it was just a matter of aligning the dot to those. I find I'm much better at a distance too, even though it's not magnified, I think because it takes the sight radius out of the equation.

gearguywb

WKR
For many years I shot 50K plus rounds per year with a dot. Don't overthink it. Put the dot where you want the bullet to go and cause the gun to go off.

Don't wait on the dot to stop moving....it won't....ever.

Forget the sights. If you are trying to co-witness sights and a dot you might as well get rid of the dot. You loose the speed advantage.

No different than trying to set up a rifle with a scope and sights at the same time.

Belt or suspenders.....pick one. :)

OP
kda082

kda082

WKR
I shoot a single pin bow sight so my brain is centering the dot in the housing between front sight and top of housing. I set this for 10 yards. I’ll shoot some more this weekend. With the ammo shortage I’m just doing short sessions behind the house. I thought maybe you put the dot on the front sight. That doesn’t make sense. It’s zeroed at 10 yards which for a 3.3“ seems okay.