Red Screen For Cell Phone?

dusky

FNG
A lot of us use our phones for mapping nowadays. On one of my scouting trips earlier this year I was making my way along the trail in the predawn with my red light headlamp. All was well. I pulled up the map to double check, and even with it on a dim setting, the sudden light spooked what I think was a moose. I'd like to not hunker over my phone every time I'm making my way to a spot in the dark. Iphone now has a way to turn its screen red. But not my Galaxy S9+. I'm curious if any of you have experimented with a red film that adheres well to a cell phone screen? Does it work? Heck, does the Iphone's red screen work?

tdot

WKR
On a Samsung phone, go into Settings, then to Display and then select the Dark theme.

I've used that on a S8+ and S20+, it works pretty well. Even used it for marine navigation to display charts.

You can also turn on the blue light filter in your settings that will help. Pretty sure you can download app that you can put a filter on your screen.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

OP
D

dusky

FNG
Thanks, guys. I'll try out this app called "Color Screen Filter" and report back. When I spooked that animal previously, the blue light filter was on so that wasn't enough. Turning the screen display to "Dark Mode" doesn't seem to affect the appearance of OnX. There's a screen film I will try out as a last resort: http://www.astrogizmos.com/TransPVC.htm

OP
D

dusky

FNG
Assuming you use the Iphone red light feature, J.R., what's your opinion of it?

J.R.

FNG
Assuming you use the Iphone red light feature, J.R., what's your opinion of it?
When out hunting at dusk I often use a headlamp that also has a dimmer red light setting. The red light is handy for close-up dimmer light and does not seem to spook wildlife. Also, when lamping foxes at night the red light filter seems to work better and not spook the fox compared to the white beam.

The reason I put the red filter setting on my iPhone was for the same reason - the red hue may not alert wildlife. I also set up the shortcut with the three clicks.

To be honest I've only used it twice - when waiting at dusk in the duck hide. I've no idea how effective it is as I only checked the screen for a few seconds when no duck were about.

I could see how it could help...the red hue is a softer light...not as bright or intense.

It would be interesting to test on some wildlife subjects........rabbits etc. by turning on the screen with the white light and see if they are scared and then in another field turn on the red hue filter and observe if there is any difference.

It haven't had the chance to do that yet.

It only takes a minute or so to set up so I have it on the phone, if needed.

OP
D

dusky

FNG
I wish my Samsung had that feature. I've been testing out the "Color Screen Filter" app and it is easy to use and does the trick fine EXCEPT the red filter doesn't function on the lock screen, so when I first light up the screen, it's the same white light until I unlock it, at which point the red filter resumes. Not sure how much of a battery drain the app is yet.

tdot

WKR
I wish my Samsung had that feature. I've been testing out the "Color Screen Filter" app and it is easy to use and does the trick fine EXCEPT the red filter doesn't function on the lock screen, so when I first light up the screen, it's the same white light until I unlock it, at which point the red filter resumes. Not sure how much of a battery drain the app is yet.

On a Samsung, go into your display settings. Set the theme to Dark and the Eye Comfort Shield to Always On.

The Eye Confort shield removes the blue tint adds an orange tone to the screen.