Redcliff questions

lintond

WKR
I am looking to pick up a Redcliff this spring and pairing it with their SXL stove, and have a few questions for the group. I’ve been using a Megatarp for many years now and have also slept in a cimmaron with stove a few nights. Cimmaron usable space seemed a little small due to slope of the walls. Primary use would be elk hunts in Sept/Oct with an occasional summer camping trip with the misses. Typically it would be two guys, occasionally three, and I may take it solo depending on season.

Questions I have are:
1) Single or double doors? I’m leaning two for versatility but how many of you actually use both doors?
2) Bug screens or no screens on the doors? Only time I’d see a use is summer and I would guess the wife would want/need the nest even with the doors. Thinking these are unneeded weight. Too bad they don’t have a Velcro option.

Thoughts or other recommendations? Am I missing something?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

skierhs

WKR
I don’t have a redcliff but do use a 8 man tipi. That being said, I would go for the double doors. I like being able to open it up when I want a breeze to be able to come through. It’s just a nice thing to have with multiple people using the tent so there is less need to walk over other people or their gear but is not required. For the bug screens I would likely skip it if they’re not removable. It adds extra weight for something which may not be used a ton. The only real time you’d be wanting them is in the spring when bugs are bad but if you’re in the fall and using a stove they very well all may be dead by that time of the year and thus not an issue.

CanEater

FNG
I picked up a lightly used Redcliff about 2 years ago that had double doors and screens. I could go either way on the double doors. It is convenient to be able to use either side of the tent but certainly not necessary. This year with 3 guys in the tent, the gear got piled up in front of the "back" door and was not used on the trip. I think for the little bit of extra weight, I'd opt for 2 door. As for screens, unless you do a lot of summer camping I think I would skip. I wouldn't have paid extra to order the screens in the tent if I bought it new.

Dirtydan

Lil-Rokslider
I'm part of the single door crowd. I had a Silvertip that had the double doors and never used the one. When I ordered my Cimarron I opted for single and actually prefer it. Not only for the weight savings but for the stove jack location. It's a better spot for two because everyone has an equal amount of room. Never had screens but see no reason to have them. You'll use an inner during bug season anyway.

OP
lintond

lintond

WKR
I'm part of the single door crowd. I had a Silvertip that had the double doors and never used the one. When I ordered my Cimarron I opted for single and actually prefer it. Not only for the weight savings but for the stove jack location. It's a better spot for two because everyone has an equal amount of room. Never had screens but see no reason to have them. You'll use an inner during bug season anyway.

Actually I totally forgot about the stove location difference.

Does anybody have a picture of the location with a single door?

swehrman

Lil-Rokslider
You can see the stove jack location in relation to the front door in this picture that I grabbed from the Seek Outside website.

1609376247906.png

-- Scott

OP
lintond

lintond

WKR
I sold my two door regular and bought a single door light. Mainly just for the better stove placement. I don’t get up at night yet. Ha ha!

Well now you’ve made it a hard decision. Every time I have my mind made up another good argument comes around.

OP
lintond

lintond

WKR
Has anybody used the ultralight version or something similar with dyneema? Outside of the weight savings and cost bump are there any pros or cons to the material? I’m not familiar with the material. Is it stronger, less prone to sagging, something else?

DCF dosnt pack down as well but it is so light that you can strap it to your pack anywhere it fits and it won't adversely affect your balance

Johnboy

WKR
Has anybody used the ultralight version or something similar with dyneema? Outside of the weight savings and cost bump are there any pros or cons to the material? I’m not familiar with the material. Is it stronger, less prone to sagging, something else?

One downside is that it's more flammable. But as long as you don't use a pipe that's too short, and you always use a spark arrestor in your stove, I don't see this as a problem. The benefit of the pyramid shape (more efficient space), along with minimal material sag/stretch, makes this a winner in my opinion. I'd take a dyneema redcliff over my 8-man silnyl tipi if I was shopping today. I'd probably get the double-doors just to have the option.

7layerburrito

Lil-Rokslider
For what it's worth I wouldn't agonize over single or double door. I ended up with a double door because it shipped before the single door did; I've slept in both and you'll find something to like about either. I would lean double door because the weight savings isn't dramatic and it's nice to have the flexibility when you've pitched it to use one more than the other. Also made seem-sealing it easier because you have more than one angle from which to get to the top. So I'd say go two doors but it's not a deal breaker if, say, you're offered a screaming deal on a single door model.

I'm a big fan of the SO tipis and something I wish someone had told me before buying one is that it's easy to overlook how good they all are and the details like number of doors and screens aren't really going to dramatically change your opinion.

BassAssassin04

Lil-Rokslider
I have the double door, but think the stove placement in the single door would be a lot better. Only one door would not be an issue for me.

Bearsears

WKR
I have a double door. Id say if you are going to use it primarily for cold weather hunts with a stove, get a single door for the better stove placement. If you are going to use it for a multitude of adventures including summer use, get a double door for better ventilation and access. Also dont agonize over it, even though the stove placement of the single door is better, its not so much better that id sell mine and get a single.

I wouldnt get screens. I like versatility so I'd be more inclined to just add a nest for buggy conditions.

OP
lintond

lintond

WKR
These are all great inputs! Love the different perspectives you get on Rokslide.

Tsal

FNG
I like the double door for access in and out, but that said, I have never been in the single door option. Agree with Bearsears about screens; not necessary and if things get buggy every once in awhile, there are other, temporary solutions to deal with them.

I have a cimarron with two doors. As you can see in the photo we just moved the stove over to where it would be on a single door cimarron, which is a better stove location with two guys. This worked great. When bringing wood into the tent that second zipper on the stove side actually came in pretty handy during wet weather to make a big wood pile on the mat side.

My buddy and I have complete opposite personalities. I have to plan everything, and everything needs to be in its particular place. He is unorganized, and just fly by the seat of his pants type of guy. I was telling him I was thinking of selling the double door tent to get the single door version because the single door stove jack location was so much better. He looked at me confused and just slid the stove over to where it would go on the one door tent, problem solved!😂

Attachments

• 15AB74EB-389B-4AB1-A8C5-CD854D39A8F0.jpeg
    15AB74EB-389B-4AB1-A8C5-CD854D39A8F0.jpeg
    447.6 KB · Views: 60
OP
lintond

lintond

WKR
I have a cimarron with two doors. As you can see in the photo we just moved the stove over to where it would be on a single door cimarron, which is a better stove location with two guys. This worked great. When bringing wood into the tent that second zipper on the stove side actually came in pretty handy during wet weather to make a big wood pile on the mat side.

My buddy and I have complete opposite personalities. I have to plan everything, and everything needs to be in its particular place. He is unorganized, and just fly by the seat of his pants type of guy. I was telling him I was thinking of selling the double door tent to get the single door version because the single door stove jack location was so much better. He looked at me confused and just slid the stove over to where it would go on the one door tent, problem solved!

I was wondering why nobody had brought up the idea to just shift the stove. Only thing I could think of is that you’re forcing the stove pipe to rotate on the stove which might cause issues. Sounds like it worked for you.

Bearsears

WKR
I'll have to try this in my Redcliff. I wonder if it will be too much of an angle with the bigger size of a Redcliff?