Redding FL Die Setup Question

OXN939

WKR
Finally got my 6.5 PRC components together and was setting up to do some brass prep. Using the Redding Premium Deluxe 3 die set in a Hornady Lock N Load press. I always start by running new brass through the FL sizing die, which I set up by extending the base of the die until it touches the shell holder at the top of its travel range and then coming back off about half a turn with the die. For some reason, these Redding dies won't allow me to extend the base of the die to touch the shell holder- the picture below is as far as I can screw the die into the Hornady die bushing before it stops and won't go any further. This seems problematic going forward, in terms of setting shoulder bump. Any input or ideas what I'm doing wrong? Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 20211124_104720.jpg
    20211124_104720.jpg
    174.8 KB · Views: 42
I am using a MEC press and redding FL type S competition dies and the hornady bushing conversion adapters with no issues. Before the MEC I used the Hornady LNL Classic press until it created too much run out. But even with that press I never had an issue getting the shell holder to touch the die. Not sure what is going on with your set up but pics of your entire die in the press may help.

wapitibob

WKR
You have something weird going on. I'd set the die to hit the shell holder for consistency but would use the Redding competition shell holders to set the shoulder bump..

OP
OXN939

OXN939

WKR
pics of your entire die in the press may help.

Here's the top of the die. It won't screw down any further. Emailing with Redding CS now.

Attachments

• 20211124_103159.jpg
    20211124_103159.jpg
    216.8 KB · Views: 24
Must be a thread issue, do they look boogered up? Cause there is still around .50" or more adj left there?
Are you sure the redding lock ring isn't preventing the die to thread in more? Sometimes with the Hornady bushing adapter, those two pieces cause binding.

OP
OXN939

OXN939

WKR
Must be a thread issue

You were right, I think. I took the die locking ring off the neck sizing die and swapped it with the one on the FL sizing die, and now the FL die extends all the way... but weirdly, the neck sizing die doesn't have the same issue with extension the FL die did, even with the FL die's locking ring? Weird.