Redefinition of Success

H'n'F

Lil-Rokslider
Well, I didn't connect on my elk but I survived 7 days in the mountains, alone, and had my one opportunity. This is one major bucket list item ticked off my list. Next is a kill. I consider this year a success because I proved that I could locate, relocate, climb, descend, pack, hunt, weather storms, stay in "decent" spirits under adversity, and come out the other side happy without a kill. I was able to accomplish every goal I set for myself except the kill shot and I feel like that will come with time. It was beautiful country.

Attachments

• IMG_0060.jpg
    IMG_0060.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_0122.jpg
    IMG_0122.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_0131.jpg
    IMG_0131.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_0153.jpg
    IMG_0153.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 113
OP
H'n'F

H'n'F

Lil-Rokslider
A few more pics

Attachments

• IMG_0026.jpg
    IMG_0026.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_0115.jpg
    IMG_0115.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_0127.jpg
    IMG_0127.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_0137.jpg
    IMG_0137.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_0138.jpg
    IMG_0138.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 96

colonel00

WKR
Very cool photos. It's cliche but remember, it's called hunting and not killing. If it weren't for all of the effort and learning and missed opportunities, the day you do finally connect wouldn't be nearly as exciting as it most assuredly will be.

Great pictures man that's what it's all about being able to come away from a very successful hunt like that! One other Rokslide member posted this on his facebook the other day and I'll repost it here for you. It's fitting I do believe...

"The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason other predators hunt, because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of thousands of generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter."
-Finn Aagaard

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Sweet pictures! Some of my favorite trips ended without a kill. The kill to me is always just a bonus to an already great experience.

Glad you had a good trip!

OP
H'n'F

H'n'F

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks guys, it was a great trip. This one week was the culmination of 25 years of dreaming, about 8 relationships, two years of planning, months of training, and a lifetime of memories. Family said I was crazy, friends said I was nuts, I said it's the closest thing to zen I will ever find. I met the mountain on her terms and we tied. She threw every trick in the book at me including rain, hail, lightning, wind, heat, cold, mosquitoes, no bugling, and more rain. I took all she had and came back for more. She kept her elk but I brought part of her soul home in me.

Great pics. Even though you did not kill every time that we go in the field is a great time and we learn more about ourselves and the animals that we pursue. Sometimes that is all we need to consider it a success. Hope that you connect next year.