Reduced .270W load with sierra pro hunter 110gr

ozyclint

WKR
I'm cooking up a youth load in my .270W for pigs and deer. I'm using the Sierra #1810 110gr pro hunter bullet.
My current load is 39grs of AR2206H (I think it's H4895 in USA speak) for 2530fps. I believe this is close to a factory load in a 6.8SPC with a 110gr bullet.

Any experience with this bullet at those velocities on deer or pigs?

No personal experience that bullet, but I have loaded with lighter weight bullets in the 270 Winchester for practice rounds at the range. I think you've got a good load and you can give it a field test and tell us how many pigs and deer you get with it!

MHWASH

WKR
Years back I loaded that bullet hot for whitetail deer. I shot a couple of decent bucks with it and it worked great. I actually called Sierra before loading it and was told deer were the intended market for that bullet.

OP
ozyclint

ozyclint

WKR
Shot a fallow buck for meat a while ago. 20m quartering on shot. Entered in front of shoulder, bullet was under the hide at the back rib on the far side. Devastating wound channel. Lost quite a bit of meat. Bullet held together and retained weight really well. Very happy with the performance, though will shoot for neck or head shots when I can to save meat. IMG_20220628_171433.jpg

Problem is I only have about 175 of them and Sierra has discontinued them.

Any suggestions for a replacement? Something in the same weight range that will expand and perform the same with 2550fps MV out to 100m? Something budget and basic construction. The premium bullets come with premium prices.