Reduced recoil Win .270 loads for my daughter?

adamkolesar

Lil-Rokslider
Hey all,
Wanted to ask fellow reloaders advice on loading a reduced recoil load for my 13 year old daughter. Looking for something whitetail capable. I had developed an accurate load using 130g Accubonds over 55g of IMR 4350 and WLR primers. Chrono shows 3075fps which is a bit too much thump (actually stab) for the kid's shoulder. Nice accurate load, but she had to drop out after a couple of rounds at the range.
I see reduced/kid recipes in the manuals, but was interested in what folks with field experience might offer. I know pushing Accubonds fast is the best way to get the most from that projectile. Slower and softer might to the path forward. Ideas?
Many thanks!

Hornady has a reduced recoil line of 270 using 120 gn SST. 2675 fps and still over 1000 ft lb at 450 yards. Someone must know what load they are using. Not me, because I don't reload. But hope this might help as a reference.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I've got some 85gr Barnes TSX loads that are screaming fast and I can keep the scope on target at each shot, so the recoil can't be bad at all. A reduced load would be even better, and I'm sure the 85's are perfectly fine for WT's.

KineKilla

WKR
I've loaded 110gr Accubonds for my .270 that I use for deer. You have to buy the 6.8mm labeled projectiles because they don't sell them labeled as .277

I have not chronographed them but I get the feeling they are screaming fast. Could easily be tamed a bit to reduce felt recoil. Your best bet is going to be to sacrifice projectile weight to save speed or sacrifice speed to save kinetic energy. Everything comes with a trade off as you are probably aware.

I used 57.0grains of IMR4350, Winchester primers and Hornady brass. Loaded them to published length (base to ogive) and get MOA performance from my Model 700 ADL.

wyosam

WKR
I’d do something like a 100ish grain mono, loaded to 2800-2900 or so with 4350. Should give plenty of performance on deer, and be pretty mild recoil for a .270.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
adamkolesar

adamkolesar

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for some great ideas. I've not gone the monolithic route, and the 6.8 Accubonds are an interesting idea. Pushing those smaller pills at higher speed just might be the ticket. I'll consult the Hodgdon material as well. I've been an IMR/Nosler fan for so long, it's good to get some differing opinions.

Rich M

WKR
How big is she? Lil thing or got some bones? My wife is 120 5-3 and likes a 357 Mag rifle - 5# recoil, deer drt every time for her. Coworker is 5-3 and 130 and she shoots 3006 due to the dramatic drop em dead performance. That chick hates tracking. 200# bucks drt...

If yer gonna load it slow, go with a light cup and cores for some more dramatic drop action. Be more fun to watch the deer go ker-plop.

What do I know I dropped from 3006 to 243 after 42 seasons. Light bullets work but don't like bones. Got tired of playing with 25# or more recoil in handloads and really like the 10# 243 recoil. Every kid I've tracked for has gone from 243 to 270. Crazy but true.

There are factory reduced recoil 270 loads to try.

OP
adamkolesar

adamkolesar

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks Rich,
My daughter is no hothouse flower. She shoots a 12 gauge at clays no problem. Bench shooting as we know is a different story. Would love a lighter weight C&C round nose option pushed at lower velocities, but think that 6.8 Accubonds or light Barnes (95 grain TTSX) at higher velocity might be more obtainable with the .270 when combined with IMR 4350.
The Hodgdon 4895 is tough to find. I do like their 60% of max starting load suggestion. Most important in all of this is a humane (quick) kill for a new hunter. Hate to turn the kid off because of an inadequate load meant to accommodate recoil. Appreciate the insights!

wyosam

WKR
Assuming we’re talking about reasonable distance shots on deer, this is what I’d load for reduced recoil .270. A friend asked if I could could work something up for this exact application today so I dug a little. I’m thinking this can be loaded to very tolerable recoil and still hit deer sized game way above their weight class.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
adamkolesar

adamkolesar

Lil-Rokslider
This is great information with a few options to work on this summer. We'll see what the kid and the rifle (a Rem 700 AWR w/24" barrel) likes at the range. Given our location in the Adirondacks, we'll be talking well within normal hunting ranges. Many thanks.

wyo2track

Lil-Rokslider
Look at the Nosler site and Load Data section for 270 Win. Both 100 and 110 grain loads in there that'll take as low as 46-48 grains of powder. Looks like even a 130 and some IMR 4320 will only need 43-47 grains of powder. Recoil should be around 13-15 lb-ft.

Not a 270, but I loaded up my old tang safety Ruger 7x57 for my 12 year daughter and tried to keep bullet weights to 120-140 with 42-45 grains of powder. That kept recoil in the 12-14 lb-ft range. She is a lanky 80 pounds. I fashioned the rifle with a boyds woodstock with a monte carlo comb which has negative comb and cut the LOP down to 12 3/8" with a limbsaver pad. Fits her well. Probably more important to have a stock that they can get behind and fits there small frame rather than reduced loads. If they're stretched out and raising the chin to see through the scope, kids or wife won't like any load. Best $170 I spent.

FLS

WKR
Sierra 110 Pro Hunter over H4895. I’ve shot a lot of those out of a 6.8 SPC and they work well at reduced velocity.
The 110 Accubonds worked well too.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Not a reduced load per se but the most accurate one hole 5 shot group i have w we show was with 43g of H4895 and 140g Nosler Ballistic Tips.

Rich M

WKR
Thanks Rich,
My daughter is no hothouse flower. She shoots a 12 gauge at clays no problem. Bench shooting as we know is a different story. Would love a lighter weight C&C round nose option pushed at lower velocities, but think that 6.8 Accubonds or light Barnes (95 grain TTSX) at higher velocity might be more obtainable with the .270 when combined with IMR 4350.
The Hodgdon 4895 is tough to find. I do like their 60% of max starting load suggestion. Most important in all of this is a humane (quick) kill for a new hunter. Hate to turn the kid off because of an inadequate load meant to accommodate recoil. Appreciate the insights!

Sounds like she's gonna be fine. IMO, you've got the right idea.

I used 4350 and W760 primarily - no input on 4895.

I was trying to find a light Sierra Pro Hunter bullet and it seems that they make a 110 that will work as mentioned above. That seems like it would work great. I shot Pro Hunters out of 30-06 (150) and currently shoot 243 (100) - haven't shot a deer with 243 load yet. They are tight shooters.

BAKPAKR

WKR
Out of a 6.8mm SPC, my daughter and I have used the 110 gr Sierra Pro Hunters at about 2450 fps and 95 gr Barnes TTSXs at about 2650 fps on whitetails and a black bear. They work great. Also, I have had good luck with reduced loads in other cartridges using H4895. I suspect you could come up with a load that would work well for your daughter using either of those bullets and H4895.