Reducing Electronics... Garmin GPS, Garmin InReach, ...

wildernessmaster

Lil-Rokslider
So I wanna reduce some of my electronics. I was hoping Garmin would ultimately pull their head out of their backside and make a GPS device that works with both InReach and OnX chip. As far as I can tell, and from reading the forums none of the Garmin devices do that reliably. If I am wrong please clue me in.

I hate carrying both devices - actually it is insane to have to.

But if I am right, then what are most of you doing? Are you switching to OnX on your phone and downloading the maps ahead of time and using a GPS with InReach in it or...??

My only hesitation to date on fully using OnX on my phone is that: a) phones seem to burn a lot more battery (and quicker) than GPS units b) If I get off my maps I have downloaded, I am screwed if there is no service - and those maps take up some space.

WCB

WKR
IDK....I just have preloaded maps on my phone with ONX and have a small battery pack that lets me get about a charge and a half on my phone. I know my buddy has one that is built into his case and doesn't have to charge his phone for a couple days even when using ONX and GPS on his phone regularly.

I found the paper maps more up to date if you download and print off internet before you go. However if you buy them that makes since. I use a laminator at work to laminate them and have at least one extra copy depending where I go/how long.

I have on x but it’s more for at home e-scouting and then logging everything. I use paper, pen, and compass in the field as I hate messing with my phone and always looking down at it. Takes too much time for me to press all the buttons vs making a mark mark on paper

I just bought the InReach - wish this post was two weeks ago haha!

so I’ll have InReach to check in with wife and for emergencies. Compass and paper map for hunting/scouting. But I still download onX maps to my phone as extra help in case I get thrown off with doing it by compass, as back up, etc.

OP
wildernessmaster

wildernessmaster

Lil-Rokslider
I found the paper maps more up to date if you download and print off internet before you go. However if you buy them that makes since. I use a laminator at work to laminate them and have at least one extra copy depending where I go/how long.

I have on x but it’s more for at home e-scouting and then logging everything. I use paper, pen, and compass in the field as I hate messing with my phone and always looking down at it. Takes too much time for me to press all the buttons vs making a mark mark on paper

I just bought the InReach - wish this post was two weeks ago haha!

so I’ll have InReach to check in with wife and for emergencies. Compass and paper map for hunting/scouting. But I still download onX maps to my phone as extra help in case I get thrown off with doing it by compass, as back up, etc.
I spent 13 years land navigating really odd places with compass and map. I carried maps like crazy. You spend a lot of time watching a compass when you should be watching the woods. Not against them, but I find them so-so as far as an option. Lots of downfalls relative to a quick glance at a gps. Plus after HAVING to use map and compass I guess I enjoy using a GPS. :)

But thanks for that.

I spent 13 years land navigating really odd places with compass and map. I carried maps like crazy. You spend a lot of time watching a compass when you should be watching the woods. Not against them, but I find them so-so as far as an option. Lots of downfalls relative to a quick glance at a gps. Plus after HAVING to use map and compass I guess I enjoy using a GPS. :)

But thanks for that.

I meant to add I am only hunting East coast so you do not need to pay attention to the compass near as much. Out west I have no idea what it’d be like. Having hiked out west a ton on trails I can imagine knowing your bearing is critical as you wouldn’t want to go off course too far as it’s be miles to correct...0

DudeBro

Lil-Rokslider
My ideal setup: smartphone w/ onX or Basemap w/ all necessary maps downloaded, USB battery pack, inReach mini, GPS watch, compass, custom maps printed at home from caltopo.com. I have this exact setup currently except I have the inReach exporer+ (the larger one w/ LCD screen); although there is a weight/bulk penalty, this is much nicer than the mini if your phone dies. Perhaps, in the future, garmin can add satcom linkage to their Fenix line and eliminate that extra device.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I just use my old Garmin 60csx with an OnX card and forget about everything else electronic. But I am a map guy, so generally have the maps as well. I generally don't "need" the GPS, but it is nice to be able to mark spots and get back to them easily and more quickly.

11boo

WKR
Paper maps my butt. I cut my teeth with paper/compass/protractor and while it is a useful skill OnX blows it away. Throw in an Inreach mini, decent phone and and a backup battery. The future is now old men.

Elk97

WKR
Paper maps my butt. I cut my teeth with paper/compass/protractor and while it is a useful skill OnX blows it away. Throw in an Inreach mini, decent phone and and a backup battery. The future is now old men.
I remember the first time I had a gps on our boat, it only gave the gps coordinates that you had to plot on a chart, but by god you knew exactly where you were. Like magic. Now I carry a phone with OnX downloaded maps and a Mini and love 'em. But I still carry paper for when all those electronics end up going swimming during a creek crossing. Belt and suspenders.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
And the past is tomorrow, so does it really matter what anyone uses today?

mlgc20

WKR
I have my OnX maps downloaded on my phone. I put my phone in airplane mode, so it uses much less battery (GPS still works). I will turn on the Bluetooth when I need to use my InReach Mini. Haven't carried a separate GPS device in years.

Baddog

WKR
I have to use a map to get a broad overlook of the land. My brain doesn't use onx on my phone very well for that. I use onx in a new area some, but if its somewhere I've been in the past I don't use it, but I have hunting partners that are always looking at their phones, even though they've been there 10 times before.

Buy a phone with a lot of storage. Load OnX maps ahead of time. Put phone in airplane mode. Carry a battery pack.

The only reason I carry a Garmin gps is cause it’s a rhino and we use the radio.
Have and love paper, but satellite view and gis blow paper away.