Redundancies...

Hey guys.

While in the middle of prepping for Minnesota tirkee huntin' this year I experienced a bow failure.

Nothing major, but as I plan to make my first trip West this year, I began thinking about what gear needs back up? what gear can and can't be backed up? (both in terms of money, space, etc)

What does everyone consider essential gear to double up on ?

"two is one, one is none".. sounds good, but whats realistic?

fyi, my trip this year is DIY, archery Elk.

thanks,
-E.

Northernpiker

WKR
Classified Approved
When packing in for 5-7 days i don't take any extras in with me. I have an extra pair of boots in the truck and it wouldn't hurt to have an extra sleeping bag or quilt.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I bring 2 headlamps. One that's more of a torch, like a high output light, then another average headlamp that's usually a camp and red hiking light.
Extra boots and food left in the vehicle. That's all I can think of besides 2 knives.. pocket knife and quartering/skinning knife.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 head lamps (one in my camp the other my belt pouch), 2 fire start systems(lighter in emerg kit and lighter in my pocket), 2 water systems(tablets, steripen both in pack at all times), 2 knives (one Havalon in kill kit, one bigger knife left at camp for heavy duty chores), 2 bows (one is in truck as a back up), 2 sleeping pad systems- (air mattress comes with me, rolled up stays in truck)

Every year I quit carrying extra stuff, until I need it, then it goes back in lol
You will know as you go.
But there are just some things you need 2 of, even if you never need them.

Socks and underwear, just because I'll wash one pair out and wear the dry pair. Otherwise, no redundancies on a 7-10d archery backpacking elk hunt.

johnsd16

WKR
Bows make the list for me. Too many things can go wrong with a bow hiking/climbing to let a busted string, sight or cam end a hunt. When rifle hunting with a partner you can almost always use their rifle in a pinch (we always bring 3 for 2 guys) but a bow has to be yours and practiced with.

Other things I like two of
Headlamp
Spare tire
Lighter
Boots
Knife

oldgoat

WKR
I don't take too much extra, but I live in the Denver Metro so it isn't far to get home to another bow. Do have extra boots in the truck. If you are hunting with somebody, and they have some redundant gear, it might be nice to have it in the truck instead of sitting back at home!

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Lightweight easy stuff, like: water filter and tablets, 2 headlamps, two long spoons for MH, extra coffee packets (Via's), fixed knife and Havalon. I also keep some spare nocks in my pack, along with some serving, and d-loop material. Water proof matches and two lighters.

One thing I was always sure to bring two of was a release. If you leave it home, you are sunk. If it breaks or gets lost, -no good- The release I was using wasn't exactly cheap, but it was something the trip would be a total loss without. I carried the back-up release in my pack, and the primary was hooked to the d-loop when I wasn't hunting.

ChukarUp

FNG
I bring two headlamps and an extra pair of socks in my pack, those are the only items I have two of on my initial trek in. In my truck I have a backup of just about everything else that is reasonable to buy two of, or that I happen to own two of because I upgraded from my original at some point and didn't sell the old one...food, water, top to bottom clothes, boots, tent, sleeping bag/pad, knives, tripod, etc.

One thing I was always sure to bring two of was a release. If you leave it home, you are sunk. If it breaks or gets lost, -no good- The release I was using wasn't exactly cheap, but it was something the trip would be a total loss without. I carried the back-up release in my pack, and the primary was hooked to the d-loop when I wasn't hunting.

I forgot that I take an extra release. They are SOOO important and SOOO easy to lose!

I forgot that I take an extra release. They are SOOO important and SOOO easy to lose!

Left my release on the bank of a creek after a rest during a long day of deer hunting/elk scouting in the Gila. Realized it about a half mile later and went back and got it. I've carried a backup ever since.

OP
C
This is great stuff fellas.

thanks for all the responses. Great stuff.

One thing that still sticks with me is if I'm heading out solo from Minnesota to Montana... should I have a second bow?
or is a repair kit and spare parts enough? My thinking is parts. Mostly due to cost. sight, string, rest, stuff that I portable press could fix.

Does a 2nd bow come with a divorce lawyer??? ha!!!

the obvious ...$$$, but is it really necessary? by that I mean, there are lots of items that could end or alter a trip that cost a lot less.

some items are in the pack, some are 'back at the truck'. hmmm... lots to ponder.

just trying to solve the puzzle!! thanks again everyone.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Backcountry Proofing Your Bow. I think there is some other threads on the subject as well.

I don't have a spare bow to bring. Now as a resident in Colorado with a month long archery season it still isn't that easy to get it fixed and go back hunting. There is one pro shop about 1.5 hours away from where I hunt but just like the many near home they are busy.

I would be paranoid using a spare bow. Unless I shoot it regularly too.

No divorce lawyer included. Spare bow means a no contest divorce 😀.

charvey9

WKR
As far as what I hike in with, there is very little or no redundancy.

In the truck, which is usually within a good hard days hike, I keep an extra sleep system (bag, pad, tent), boots, hunting clothes, bow (if I have a back-up), arrows, portable bow press, game bags, knife, stove, fuel, food, etc.

Pretty much anything critical that could get broken on the mountain, I have a back-up in the truck.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
On me i can only think of three things 1. Extra lighter 2. Spare cap for my sawyer soft water bottles. 3. Way more paracord than I need. I should at least carry an extra d-loop.

The best way to get that back up bow is too keep your old one when you upgrade. Its set up for you, you are comfortable shooting it, and the value of bows seem to drop every year.

Even on deer hunting day sits I'll bring a back up pair of socks, a spare release, and allens to adjust the sight and tighten things up.