Redundancy in caliber?

Howdy all,

New guy here, wanting some input for caliber choice. I currently have a Marlin XL7 chambered in .25-06, and a Rem 700 chambered in .270. I hunt in South Texas for Whitetail and Pigs, but I am working on getting started hunting out West for Elk. For sentimental reasons, the .25-06 is staying in my collection or at the very least in the family. A buddy of mine is interested in buying the .270 off of me

Personally, I’m not a big fan of the Remington. It just doesn’t feel all that great. Not to say that it isn’t a good rifle, I’m just not really fond of it. And in my opinion, the .25-06 and .270 are relatively ballistically similar.

I’ve been considering something tried and true like a .308, or maybe jumping up to a .300 WM. Or perhaps something a bit trendier like a 6.5 PRC or 6.5 Creedmoor. If you were going to get rid of the .270, what caliber would you move too?

Thanks!

Edit: I am looking for a factory rifle, and most likely factory loads. Also considering 7mm Mag

Last edited:
If you want something newer but an elevation in performance the 300 or 6.5 PRC is a good bet. The 6.5 PRC that I have been playng with a bit (not my rifle) is stellar in regards to long range trajectory and impact speed past 1k. Yes the 300 would be more powerful but it wears faster and kicks much harder. I can spot impacts on steel at 300 with the 6.5.

WCB

WKR
I am basing this response off the assumption you are buying a factory gun and factory ammo.

I would get a 300wm...
270 with the same bullet (lets say 140gr accubond) is around or over 200fps faster than the Creedmoor. So advantage 270. (i know the 6.5 has a slightly higher BC but for most shooters it is a wash)

6.5 PRC shooting that same bullet is about the same over the 270...however you have less platforms and ammunition choices. This will no doubt increase in the future but to what extent we will see.

300wm every company makes multiple models and level of rifle. Ammo companies have dozens of different grain weight and bullet options...ammo is easy to find.

All this goes out the window if you are buying custom or handload.

My $0.02 - I started on a 308 platform. Wanted something with some more crack and got a 300 wm. Blew a big messy hole in a #150 deer at 70 yards. It is a heavyish gun, kicks hard and is comparatively expensive to feed. IMO the 300 isn’t really going to shine unless you are shooting a LONG way or going after moose or brown bear.

Next rifle was a 6.5 creed. Dream to shoot compared to the 300 and softer than the 308. Seems to be plenty of round up to mule deer and some would say elk too.

30-06 gets a lot of votes for do all round. 6.5 PRC seems to be becoming a favorite for that too. I asked around (thread here and elsewhere) about 6.5 prc and the consensus seemed to be to wait a year for more rifles and factory ammo.

As far as Remington goes, my results across three Newer bolts guns have been mixed. throw in a couple of recent 870s and I would say they have all required some work And $$$ to shoot well. I think there are better values to be had in hunting rifles - tikka, kimber, browning, etc. - at nearly any price point. I can’t see buying another remy unless I was looking for a project gun.

Rob5589

WKR
I really like my Tikkas; smooth, accurate, good factory trigger when adjusted, good factory stocks. 7 Rem mag, 7mm/08, 30-06, would be great choices. But you're going to get a bunch of opinions, all of which will be worth considering.

Squincher

WKR
I just bought a new rifle for deer, elk, and moose. After researching everything I could find I went with a Browning X-Bolt in 30-06. Browning and Tikka seem to be the only two brands about which you have a hard time finding complaints. I've killed a truck load of whitetails and a bull moose with 30-06, so I know it will do fine for what I want. I sold a Tikka last year to fund an impulse purchase. I would have bought another Tikka if I hadn't handled an X-Bolt. They are both fine, high quality rifles, but the X-Bolt seemed just a little better to me. If had any intention of shooting much beyond 300 yards, I would have bought a 300 Win.

WKR
The 25-06 and 270 would do great. Guess I could like a 6.5 Creedmoor with Berger factory ammo and 135 Classics as well. See no need for larger than a 270 though.

JFK

WKR
From the perspective of straight utility, your 270 offers more. Load down to 110gr bullets and you have a round that does everything a 25-06 does, just better. Load up to 130-150gr bullets and you have a rifle that covers your bases for larger game. That said, I can see why sentimental value would drive your decision to keep the 25-06. I have a 270 now and for some reason I’ve convinced myself that a 25-06 and 30-06 would be cool to have even though I don’t need them. If you don’t like the feel of the Rem 27O, why not find a 270 (or 30-06) you do like and be done with it? All the new fangled cartridges offer no real advantage to 99% of hunting situations.

OP
awildswanger
I am basing this response off the assumption you are buying a factory gun and factory ammo.

I would get a 300wm...
270 with the same bullet (lets say 140gr accubond) is around or over 200fps faster than the Creedmoor. So advantage 270. (i know the 6.5 has a slightly higher BC but for most shooters it is a wash)

6.5 PRC shooting that same bullet is about the same over the 270...however you have less platforms and ammunition choices. This will no doubt increase in the future but to what extent we will see.

300wm every company makes multiple models and level of rifle. Ammo companies have dozens of different grain weight and bullet options...ammo is easy to find.

All this goes out the window if you are buying custom or handload.
That’s what I’m leaning towards. New issue is that I found a killer deal on a used Tikka 300wm or a new Tikka 6.5creedmoor and now I’m struggling to choose between them

Anello

Lil-Rokslider
.300 Weatherby Mag. Tons of Vanguard options. I’ve got a Vanguard Wilderness in .257 Weatherby Mag that is an absolute tack driver. I wouldn’t hesitate to get another one. When I do it will likely be in .300 Weatherby Mag. A true step up from the .270 in your case ... and covers nearly all game.

Howdy all,

New guy here, wanting some input for caliber choice. I currently have a Marlin XL7 chambered in .25-06, and a Rem 700 chambered in .270. I hunt in South Texas for Whitetail and Pigs, but I am working on getting started hunting out West for Elk. For sentimental reasons, the .25-06 is staying in my collection or at the very least in the family. A buddy of mine is interested in buying the .270 off of me

Personally, I’m not a big fan of the Remington. It just doesn’t feel all that great. Not to say that it isn’t a good rifle, I’m just not really fond of it. And in my opinion, the .25-06 and .270 are relatively ballistically similar.

I’ve been considering something tried and true like a .308, or maybe jumping up to a .300 WM. Or perhaps something a bit trendier like a 6.5 PRC or 6.5 Creedmoor. If you were going to get rid of the .270, what caliber would you move too?

Thanks!

Edit: I am looking for a factory rifle, and most likely factory loads. Also considering 7mm Mag

Love my 25-06 (at least a dozen antelope and mule deer), though understand having a great big brother (270) that you don’t like. For what it’s worth, 270 and 25-06 are definitely not in the same class. I’ve got several others in 6.5, 7 mm, 30-06, etc. and think they all do great.

Did a long post on New Years that guys busted my balls for but think it could help you think through some options.

Blakelok

FNG
Howdy all,

Thanks!

Fellow South Texan here. I bought a 6.5 PRC this year and harvested a deer with. I also harvested a deer this year with a .25-06 and a 6.5 CM. All three shots were shoulder shots or just behind - .25-06 performed best (better bullet design).

The only issue with the 6.5 PRC is lack off factory hunting ammo - Hornady being the only game in town but Federal and Barnes announced new leadings at SHOT SHOW.

I do not like the 6.5 cal 143 gr ELD bullet at the ranges and types of terrain we hunt around here.

I also don’t feel like the 6.5 CM or PRC are going to offer you something substantially more than the .25-06 you have for most of the hunting you will do. I vote go with a .300 WM or WSM.

A muzzle brake will reduce recoil by about 50 percent (depending on the brake). Why not get one of the 300 magnums with a brake and go kill whatever you want at any reasonable or unreasonable range? A 300 mag with a brake will kick about like your 25-06.

OP
awildswanger
If you want something newer but an elevation in performance the 300 or 6.5 PRC is a good bet. The 6.5 PRC that I have been playng with a bit (not my rifle) is stellar in regards to long range trajectory and impact speed past 1k. Yes the 300 would be more powerful but it wears faster and kicks much harder. I can spot impacts on steel at 300 with the 6.5.
Excellent sir, thank you for your input!