Redundancy in caliber?

OP
awildswanger
My $0.02 - I started on a 308 platform. Wanted something with some more crack and got a 300 wm. Blew a big messy hole in a #150 deer at 70 yards. It is a heavyish gun, kicks hard and is comparatively expensive to feed. IMO the 300 isn’t really going to shine unless you are shooting a LONG way or going after moose or brown bear.

Next rifle was a 6.5 creed. Dream to shoot compared to the 300 and softer than the 308. Seems to be plenty of round up to mule deer and some would say elk too.

30-06 gets a lot of votes for do all round. 6.5 PRC seems to be becoming a favorite for that too. I asked around (thread here and elsewhere) about 6.5 prc and the consensus seemed to be to wait a year for more rifles and factory ammo.

As far as Remington goes, my results across three Newer bolts guns have been mixed. throw in a couple of recent 870s and I would say they have all required some work And $$$ to shoot well. I think there are better values to be had in hunting rifles - tikka, kimber, browning, etc. - at nearly any price point. I can’t see buying another remy unless I was looking for a project gun.
That is what I have been seeing as well, thank you!

Spoonbill

WKR
Take a look at the 280 ackley, it is fairly flat shooting and there is factory ammo for it. I think savage makes a rifle and I know Christensen arms does as well.