Redundant gear, what-if gear, and weight.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
The below quote got me thinking, what duplicate and what-if gear do I carry. As this is getting off the topic of the original thread, I decided to start another one. I'm interested in what duplicate and what-if gear you carry, why, and have you ever needed it. I'm also interested in a general conversation regarding philosophy behind carrying or not carrying duplicates.

...by far the best way to save weight is to just leave stuff at home. That will have much more impact than trimming the mesh pockets out of your tent or replacing metal zipper pulls with Dyneema cord (both of which I have done). Food, fuel, and clothes are the easy targets. Most people take way too much of all three. And an even easier target is duplicate gear. I am always stunned at the number of “back ups” people take into the backcountry. Things like extra headlamps, extra knives, back up stoves, etc. If carrying those things gives you peace of mind, then via con Dios. But, if your looking to save weight, that is low hanging fruit.

My truly duplicate gear comes out to 9.9 oz. This is stuff I carry all the time (5.6 oz) or some of the time (4.3).
2.2 oz for 4 AAA batteries
0.4 oz mini bic (I consider my fire steel my primary fire starter as I use it to light my stove)
3 oz flashlight (which I use more than my headlamp, but if I was to only bring one light it would be the headlamp).
4.3 oz for an extra knife I sometimes carry

What-if gear.
5.7 oz 6700 mAh battery pack and charging cable (my phone is my map, and for solo trips the inReach is my only way to get assistance)
1.3 oz compass
12.5 oz emergency/comfort kit [SWAT-T (4.3 oz), triangular bandage, repair kit (1 oz), hemostats, space blanket, fire starter, meds, toilet paper, band aids]
3.5 oz inReach mini

For day trips what-if gear is much heavier because it includes shelter, cook set, food, and warm clothes in case I am forced to overnight by weather or injury. Honestly, my day trip weight is not much lighter than my one night weight. For higher risk solo trips I will also carry a PLB at 5.4 oz.

I could also add 8 oz to this if I consider the extra weight of my Nightforce scope and rings compared to a Swaro Z3 in Talley Lightweights.

Ernest Shackleton, having studied many failed arctic expeditions, concluded that many of them tried to carry too much stuff to be prepared for everything. Consequently, when the Endurance was crushed in the pack ice of the Weddell Sea he restricted what the crew was allowed to salvage and bring with them, literally abandoning equipment. Considering that all 28 of his crew survived for six months in the Antarctic before being rescued, Shackleton must have been doing something right.

Last edited:

Rob5589

WKR
There was another thread like this one. Something like, "I take two of these," or something to than effect. Lemme see if I can find it...

OP
Marbles

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
There was another thread like this one. Something like, "I take two of these," or something to than effect. Lemme see if I can find it...

Found it. Thanks.

I dont carry any extra gear.

Think about where you are hunting. In reality 99% of hunters are a few hours from the truck, at most. Do you really need a bunch of extra gear?

I could lose my pack and just walk back to the truck in a couple of hours in most cases. Some go way back on horses, drop camps, etc. so more gear is reasonable.

I dont carry any extra gear.

Think about where you are hunting. In reality 99% of hunters are a few hours from the truck, at most. Do you really need a bunch of extra gear?

I could lose my pack and just walk back to the truck in a couple of hours in most cases. Some go way back on horses, drop camps, etc. so more gear is reasonable.

Exactly! Even when I’m 10 miles in, my contingency plan is to hike back to the truck if something goes wrong.

Last year I stopped to filter water and my sawyer was so plugged up I could hardly get any water out of it. I felt so dumb for leaving the flushing syringe behind in the name of ultralight.

I asked the first hiker i saw if they had the flush for it...he did and the trip was saved.

Leaving stuff at home is almost always the right call for me.

Exactly! Even when I’m 10 miles in, my contingency plan is to hike back to the truck if something goes wrong.

Last year I stopped to filter water and my sawyer was so plugged up I could hardly get any water out of it. I felt so dumb for leaving the flushing syringe behind in the name of ultralight.

I asked the first hiker i saw if they had the flush for it...he did and the trip was saved.

Leaving stuff at home is almost always the right call for me.

I have some extra gear in the truck but I am not carrying it around.

I have some extra gear in the truck but I am not carrying it around.

I couldn’t remember if it was in the truck or not...truck was also 6 miles away at that point. but I probably would have just risked it and drank the water. It won’t kill ya. Like most things in the backcountry.

I have enough stuff in my pockets to get by usually. Some TP, Petzl Zipka, mini Bic, 2 Vaseline soaked cotton balls, few water purification tablets, my pocket knife, and chapstick.

Of all on that list, the knife and chapstick are my “every day carry” and the rest is added for days afield. These things are my backup items, and in a cargo pocket I never even know they are there.

OP
Marbles

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved

I hunted with a pocket knife and a rifle in Texas and Arkansas, and in that context I would agree with you. I guess this topic does not really apply to most people.

Almost everywhere here in Alaska is remote enough that rescue in less than 24 hours is not a sure thing (even if only a few miles from the truck) and I don't want people to be head up a mountain in the dark because the clock is ticking on when I will die of exposure. On top of that, if the weather is bad, they may not be coming at all. Half the places I go, I will not see another person on the trail or only see one or two (which is really awesome).

It plays into the what-if. What if the rotten Chugach crud gives way and I injury myself in such a way that I cannot just walk out? It happens to more than one person every summer up here, and some of them are pretty capable.

Of course many people get away with just a water bottle, though I know of no credible authority that recommends that approach.

So, my question for people who don't carry what-if gear is; what is your plan if your pateller tendon ruptures and suddenly one leg is physically incapable of weight bearing? Is the climate where you are such that spending the night without shelter is not a concern? Are there enough other people around or SAR resources to assure that you will be extracted in a timely manner? Or, is such a low probability event not worth even minimal preparation?

A couple of months back I took out all of my “kits” and layer them out. I was amazed and all the duplicate shit I was carrying, and realized how much of it I never use. From this I created one kit that covered all my kits and trimmed it to a very basic level. Cut several pounds. It really gave me a chuckle. I now have a box of extra goodies in case someone comes with me and doesn’t have something.

j33

WKR
People go crazy in their first aid kit like their preparing for war. My survival/1st aid kit is 3oz and I am more prepared than most the guys out there with that. It also double as my single track dirtbiking kit.

Duplicates are nice it have for some stuff, consider lighter backups. I have a 0.3oz compass stays in my survival, 2.9oz 3350maH battery pack & 0.7oz cords (sometimes my phone needs a booster in cold), 0.7oz or 2.3oz pocket knife (havalon in kill kit), 1.5oz extra headlamp (headband removed for 0.5oz savings and a lot of room), 0.4 mini bic backup. I’m at 8oz of backup, realistically 6.5oz as backup headlamps stays out on day trips.

I am of the idea that the amount/type of gear is dependent on where a guy hunts. If you go all over, a fella might wanna take some more goods, just in case. Particularly if he’s not familiar about the area. On the flip side, if a dude hunts the same spot year after year, that gear may get smaller to none existent.

Just a thought.

TXCO

WKR
I always joke my first lessons in backpacking come from the boy scouts where we packed two kitchen sinks in case the first one broke!

Its all situation dependent including distance, weather, time, and solo or not. If you can adapt your kit to the conditions is probably the best way to save weight but some people like to just leave it throughout. Id also say people have long memories of bad situations. For instance, Ive had a buckle break on my waist belt and now always carry a spare. To me its an item Im shocked more people dont carry on multiday trips because it is so important and sucks when it breaks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hunterjmj

WKR
I usually don't carry a whole lot for survival or gear redundancy. This year deer hunting my partner never showed up to camp. The hours went by and he still never showed. I should mention that our protocol is not to go out until daylight to search. I've never been put in this position and as much as I wanted to go search it's just dumb.
My Partner has killed and elk late afternoon and got caught in a snowstorm after daylight. He made the decision to camp out over night, make a fire and head back in the morning. Thankfully I ran into him about an hour after daylight where I thought he may be. It was extremely cold that night but he was prepared.
After experiencing this my survival gear has changed. A few items are redundant but my mind has been changed on what I carry even though I usually only day hunt. My gear consists of things I can survive a really cold miserable night and still be alive. Both of us will be getting in-reach's as well. I'm not going to pack a whole camp but a pound of extra gear can be a life saver.

Fatcamp

WKR
For archery next year I'm not carrying anything but a bladder and bino harness. On the off chance I manage to arrow something I'll deal with it then.

Vandy321

WKR
Only thing i will add to the OPs list, although I don't consider it "extra" I'd add in a tourniquet, a real one, not a belt. Minimal weight penalty, and I agree, 99.9% of situations, walk out to the truck, but im not willing to bet my life that the worst won't happen (accidentally shot by another hunter, somehow putting a broadhead in your leg/arm, falling and putting a branch through your calf/arm, etc), makes it tough to limp out to the truck if you bleed out before you get there.

I have a bag that I call my “just in case” and it goes with me on every backpack hunt and it’s all items I might need just in case of any sort of situation the last thing I wanna do is walk all the way back to the truck for something minor or be out there and wish I had an item that would have been very minimal to carry or not have a spare of something that can ruin the whole trip. Some items others may list as extra or what if gear I'm carrying regardless because I need it or want it like a battery pack and small flashlight as examples. With everything in the “just in case” bag it does not weigh much at all I’m talking single digit ounces, the contents are:
Extra water filter
Extra bic mini lighter
50ft paracord
Leatherman squirt
Fire starter
Tenacious Tape
First aid kid for minimal treatment because anything major is what the Inreach is for
Extra chapstick