Reflection & questions from rookie NV mule deer hunt

VegasMike

FNG
I absolutely love this site and all the amazing information shared on it. I’ve been a long time lurker, and now a first time poster.

I’ve consumed a huge amount from reading forum posts to reading “the legends” book and watching YouTube videos. Of course all that information is only minutely useful until it gets mixed with in field experience.

This is my rookie season and I just returned from my first NV archery mule deer attempt. I hunted the tops of the high country and once my legs blew out the lower rolls. I scouted the area over 4th of July weekend and got there a few days before season to Hopefully locate some target bucks. I was able to locate some bucks and actually got a couple stalks in. While I didn’t kill I still consider a successful first attempt due to all the experience gained.

My biggest hurtle still remains finding bucks. I’m getting to my glassing point before first light. Focusing on NW slopes in am & NE in pm that are within a mile of water. And paying attention to my wind of course. Any additional advice would be greatly appreciated.

I had a nice group of bucks located in an out of the way spot a couple days before season. Then they disappeared as a huge herd of feral horses moved into the basin. I hiked of the top to see if I could turn them up but on the other side the basins were eaten down to the ground with cattle at the bottom and never did find that group of bucks again. Which leads me to my first question. How much effect do you feel cattle and feral horses have on buck location ??? Do they simply keep their distance or change areas completely??

I tried to stalk on a buck that was bedded with 4/5 does. Very low percentage I knew but wanted to give it a go anyways. Once I got closer I found The wind was bad so I couldn’t come in from above and behind so I decided to get below them and hope he’d fed my way in the evening. Atv drove over the top and destroyed everything. In reflection I wonder if the mid day thermals would have lifted my scent enough to not be detected while coming in from above/behind even though the wind was blowing their direction ???

Assuming you’re not skylined, reflecting in sun or making huge quick movements what’s an average distance a deer can pick you off from?

Talked to a hunter at the gas station on my way out who shot a 3x3 coming out of the ag fields in the morning. Might give that a shot on a “rest” day next trip.

For what it’s worth I’m hunting 144 diamond mountains. Can’t wait to get back up there in a week or so. Sorry for the long post and greatly appreciated any feedback anyone may have to offer.

Good luck to everyone this year!!

It sounds like a lot of stuff you couldn’t really control happened . It was your first weekend and you were on bucks , Stick with it , good things will happen don’t get discouraged