Reflex sight on revolver?

Dented

WKR
I'm thinking about putting a reflex sight on a revolver for hunting. Shot distances of 50 to 60 yards typically. I've found mounts got my revolver but I have little knowledge of typical MOA selections for hunting, brand reliability, e.t.c.

I'm not looking to break the bank on this project, it's just a diversion from my regular hunting antics.

Can anyone offer thoughts, insight, experience on handgun hunting reflex sights?

Thanks!

Blue72

WKR
look at different sights to see what works best for you. Especially if you have an astigmatism.

I like 3 MOA for 100 yards and 6 MOA for range closer in

OP
D

Dented

WKR
I'm thinking that 6moa at 50 yards is a 3 inch diameter dot. Is this correct? If so, how do you get an accurate point of impact on an animal?

Is there a logic to using something like a 6 or 8 moa dot for closer ranges?

Honest questions, as I really don't know.

03mossy

WKR
What revolver would this be going on?

I have an Ultradot 30 on my Ruger Super Redhawk .44. Awesome combo. It’s held up through thousands of rounds now as it’s the gun I shoot the most. I am confident at 50 yards now but want to put a ton of time this spring and summer to be confident out to 100 yards. Took this doe last fall at 40 yards. Hunting with a handgun adds to the thrill factor for sure! I say go for it.

Attachments

• E1D061DF-2B98-4C2F-AB12-54C67E86FE69.jpeg
    E1D061DF-2B98-4C2F-AB12-54C67E86FE69.jpeg
    738.1 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

BradD20

FNG
I like a 3moa dot. Small enough for accurate shots

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
D

Dented

WKR
It's going on a Ruger Redhawk. This is my first foray into pistol hunting with anything larger than a 22. Whatever I do, if I don't like the sight on a 44 I can use it on a 357.

Blue72

WKR
I'm thinking that 6moa at 50 yards is a 3 inch diameter dot. Is this correct? If so, how do you get an accurate point of impact on an animal?

Is there a logic to using something like a 6 or 8 moa dot for closer ranges?

Honest questions, as I really don't know.

using a six o’clock hold dramatically increases the accuracy of red dots

I use a larger dot at closer range for faster dot acquisition and my astigmatism doesnt create a starburst effect on larger dots

if you need more accuracy go with a finer MOA dot or a reflex sight with a chevron or triangle

Last edited:
OP
D

Dented

WKR
Chevron or triangle? Great idea, that never occurred to me. Thanks!

Spark352

Lil-Rokslider
I'd take a look at the Weigand Machine and Design Mini scope mount for Ruger revolvers. It's a small pic rail that replaces the rear sight area. A small mount like that paired with a micro red dot like the Holosun 407C would be a nice setup for your given range. I like small compact setups that are not too bulky.

Some worry about the open emitter but I carried a 407C around all turkey season with no issues. Additionally, all of my carry guns have open emitters and have yet to have an issue.

Choupique

WKR
It's definitely worth doing. Shrank my groups considerably. If you don't mind toting it around, it's fantastic.

OP
D

Dented

WKR
Does anybody have a recommendation on red dot/ reflex sites?

I've certainly got a few mounts to look at.