Region 7 MT Antelope

TygerJ

FNG
Planning to draw the Region 7 MT antelope rifle tag this coming fall. Understand there is a good amount of Block Management areas and public lands. Region 7 overall is just so big - seeking some pointers on where to focus vs where to not waste any time.

Do the Block Management parcels have decent opportunity for success or are they pounded by hunters spooking game off the property?

Any guidance on what to expect from a region 7 lope hunt would be wonderful to hear.

Any help would be very much appreciated!

OP
TygerJ

TygerJ

FNG
Also understand that population in this area is still on the rebound from a big wipeout about a decade ago. How’s the hunt been the last couple years?

Happy to chat further privately if that works best.

Really just seeking some help and insights on the area.

OP
TygerJ

TygerJ

FNG
Been lots of pressure and numbers have been way down due to last few winters being bad. I don't even hunt in R 7 anymore, used to be good. Lots of preseason scouting.

Thanks for your insights. You feel it’s so bad to not even put in for it?

Mt Al

WKR
I've been putting in elsewhere the last few years but:
Some block management spots are great, others not so great. It just takes time and trips to figure out which is which. Same for public land. My opinion is, say your hunting four days, pick a block management place for each day and move around. There are plenty of antelope out there. I used to write "make sure you get way off the road" to sound all cool, but the number of times I've shot antelope near my truck after returning from "way off the road" is embarrassing. Bring a shotgun for birds! No matter what, you'll have a blast.

OP
TygerJ

TygerJ

FNG
I've been putting in elsewhere the last few years but:
Some block management spots are great, others not so great. It just takes time and trips to figure out which is which. Same for public land. My opinion is, say your hunting four days, pick a block management place for each day and move around. There are plenty of antelope out there. I used to write "make sure you get way off the road" to sound all cool, but the number of times I've shot antelope near my truck after returning from "way off the road" is embarrassing. Bring a shotgun for birds! No matter what, you'll have a blast.

Thanks for the information. Sounds like it’ll a fun time seeing new country With decent odds of putting a goat on the ground. Best of luck this coming season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

frankrb3

WKR
Planning to draw the Region 7 MT antelope rifle tag this coming fall. Understand there is a good amount of Block Management areas and public lands. Region 7 overall is just so big - seeking some pointers on where to focus vs where to not waste any time.

Do the Block Management parcels have decent opportunity for success or are they pounded by hunters spooking game off the property?

Any guidance on what to expect from a region 7 lope hunt would be wonderful to hear.

Any help would be very much appreciated!

Region 7 is a blast to hunt. I drew the rifle tag the last two years and killed a decent buck antelope both years. The first year I killed one on a BMA, the second year I got him on some state land with public access. If you’re willing to walk away from the roads then I think you will do fine. Last years antelope was killed 3 miles from my truck and I deboned and packed the entire animal out. It was a very rewarding hunt due to the pack out. I would focus your attention on the broadus area. Also hunt mid week if possible to avoid pressure. Be sure to call and reserve any BMA you want to hunt the first available day you can call. If you spend a week hunting region 7 you will have an opportunity to fill your tag. Good luck, let me know if you have any questions. Never hesitate to call the region 7 office for BMA info. They have some of the most knowledgeable people who will help you figure the system.

OP
TygerJ

TygerJ

FNG
Region 7 is a blast to hunt. I drew the rifle tag the last two years and killed a decent buck antelope both years. The first year I killed one on a BMA, the second year I got him on some state land with public access. If you’re willing to walk away from the roads then I think you will do fine. Last years antelope was killed 3 miles from my truck and I deboned and packed the entire animal out. It was a very rewarding hunt due to the pack out. I would focus your attention on the broadus area. Also hunt mid week if possible to avoid pressure. Be sure to call and reserve any BMA you want to hunt the first available day you can call. If you spend a week hunting region 7 you will have an opportunity to fill your tag. Good luck, let me know if you have any questions. Never hesitate to call the region 7 office for BMA info. They have some of the most knowledgeable people who will help you figure the system.

Thanks for the information, Frank. Sounds like it should be a fun hunt. Looking forward to it. Best of luck this season.

Blinn

FNG

Good info.

HoytHntr4

WKR
Looking at hopefully having time to hunt this area this year as well, but only with a bow. Agreed with how damn big it is! I just have some accessible chunks of public & block management marked on my map and will just try to cover ground, glass, and see what I turn up. My hope is with that much land, and broken up public ground, a guy has to stumble across something worth shooting eventually. My only worry is that the antelope population will be taking another hit from another bad winter this year like they had last year

Also understand that population in this area is still on the rebound from a big wipeout about a decade ago. How’s the hunt been the last couple years?

Happy to chat further privately if that works best.

Really just seeking some help and insights on the area.

The region 7 tag covers a lot of territory. Last year we hunted further north, and weren’t seein anything on huntable land. The year before they were everywhere. Moved further south, and got into them. Spoke to a deputy sheriff who gave us some good tips, and he said the herd further north suffered a 60%+ hit on winter kill the year before, so that northern part may take a few years to recover.

bobr1

WKR
Montana also broke records this year for longest cold spell and had blizzards a few days ago. I'd imagine the antelope are not going to do well this year either.

Gumbo

WKR
Decent bucks, which to me are in the mid 70s, are everywhere in the state. Montana isn't really known for top end goats anyway. 7 has the most book entries.

fireguy65

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks Gumbo, I've always hunted the region 6 but with zero points and the very limited draw I think I'm going give the 7 a try this year.

Gumbo

WKR
Thanks Gumbo, I've always hunted the region 6 but with zero points and the very limited draw I think I'm going give the 7 a try this year.
I have always liked Region 7 but haven't hunted there for antelope with a rifle for several years. I never really felt that I couldn't get away from other hunters there either, except for opening weekend which was a zoo. There is one district in 6 that was a tough draw but was an awesome hunt and another in SW Montana that is a tough draw but a great hunt. It was always tough for me to rationalize not maxing my chances of getting a tag by putting in for the lower odds units.