Region G Wyoming

serorem

FNG
Hey guys, I’m thinking about hunting Region G in the next couple years and looking for some firsthand knowledge of the Region. I’ve never hunted mulies in the mountains. I’ve done all my mule deer hunting in breaks country, sage stuff, never up high though. I know some real monsters come out of this region every year but also heard this region has been hit hard by some bad winters and taken a toll on the herd. Any insight on the region at all would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Real question is how many points do you have? If you have enough to draw you should know it's not what it was only a couple years ago. If you don't have 7 points right now, you'll have plenty of time to research while trying to catch up with the points swing.

Last edited:
OP
serorem

serorem

FNG
I do have 7 points. I’ve just been buying points trying to decide where I wanna use them. I’ve just heard conflicting reports out of there is the reason I’m asking. I would most likely go with an outfitter but don’t like to use them as main source of reliable info.(Too many of them want your money and will say whatever to get it)

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you wait for a couple more recruitment years and instead get another bad winter kill you end up worse off.
7 points is to many for H and not enough for any "better" units, heck 7 points won't be 100% next year on G in the general.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

OP
serorem

serorem

FNG
Roger that, I may just continue to accrue points and see what it looks like in the future. I’m kind of in no mans land with 7 points, too many for the low end units, not enough for the top units from what I’ve studied.

sneaky

"DADDY"
You built 7 points without building experience hunting mulies in the mountains? An outfitter is a crutch against that, but too many guys make that mistake. Build points for high end units without building hunting experience to take advantage of the tag.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

amassi

WKR
Roger that, I may just continue to accrue points and see what it looks like in the future. I’m kind of in no mans land with 7 points, too many for the low end units, not enough for the top units from what I’ve studied.
If this winter is mild I'd put in next year
Dont fall victim to creep creep

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I don’t think region g is down forever but it was very rough season there this year. Everyone I talked to saw very few decent deer and none of the bigger bucks they might have expected to see.

sneaky

"DADDY"
That part of Wyoming is missing two complete crops of bucks. It shouldn't be a surprise to anyone that buck numbers are down. The bucks that would have been 4 year olds this year are gone. It's just the reality of two extreme winter kills.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Fonkie

Lil-Rokslider
It’s going to take 2-3 mild winters in a row for the herd to bounce back from the 16 winter. There will still be some big bucks killed next year but overall numbers of mature deer will be way down.

as for mountain hunting, I will
tell you to be in shape & have the gear to spike camp up high in the basins where the bucks reside. It’s physically as well as mentally taxing on a guy but undoubtedly some of the most spectacular country on the planet.

amassi

WKR
It’s going to take 2-3 mild winters in a row for the herd to bounce back from the 16 winter. There will still be some big bucks killed next year but overall numbers of mature deer will be way down.

as for mountain hunting, I will
tell you to be in shape & have the gear to spike camp up high in the basins where the bucks reside. It’s physically as well as mentally taxing on a guy but undoubtedly some of the most spectacular country on the planet.
If last year was relatively mild and this year's mild 2021 would've be the beginning of the upswing then?

UpNorth89

Lil-Rokslider
Region G has got too much attention in recent years to make it worth burning points on. There are definitely giants in there but the average size is small.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Fonkie

Lil-Rokslider
If last year was relatively mild and this year's mild 2021 would've be the beginning of the upswing then?

Beginning ya but it will take a few to get a healthy population of 4 1/2 + bucks built up. There are no guarantees in hunting or any way to guess what Mother Nature will throw at them next so figure out when you can draw a tag & go give your all.🤷‍♂️

Region G has got too much attention in recent years to make it worth burning points on. There are definitely giants in there but the average size is small.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
I agree! I have 10 and was going to burn then last year on G but I've elk hunted the southern area of what would be G and few and few deer let alone buck still see a smoker now and again but IMHO the problem for NR is for R its a general tag. I am going to keep accumulating and look towards other draws. Hope if fig sthing out soon though cause hopefully ill e a resident in the next 3-5.

People say that units get too much attention but doesnt WY cap non resident tags? For residents, G has been known for great deer for a long time.

I have been saving, thinking I would get a tag in G too, but at 10 pts now and dont know if it is worth it. I think I would enjoy the hunt more to take a friend/family member to a different unit. Dont know what I will do.

npm352

WKR
I am sitting on a pile of WY deer points. G probably has the highest big buck potential, but I have an issue with burning points on a unit a resident can just buy a tag at Walmart for...it is probably more principle than practical, but as Joe Biden would say, "c'mon mannn!"

Fonkie

Lil-Rokslider
To also quote the genius Big Guy Biden, “Here’s the deal”, if you want to hunt the high country for a CHANCE at EARNING a great buck then save the points & go experience it. If you just want a big buck on the wall then there are easier hunts & that still have a 180+ deer In other places. In this day & age of western hunting media glorified everywhere at the touch of a finger there are no secrets anymore. The reality of it tho is that the guys with intimate knowledge of areas harvest 90% of the trophy animals & the Internet dreamers usually go home disappointed especially if they go with huge expectations & no intent on enjoying the landscape & experience.

To also quote the genius Big Guy Biden, “Here’s the deal”, if you want to hunt the high country for a CHANCE at EARNING a great buck then save the points & go experience it.

Thing is one can do this in CO too, with minimal to no points. Thats one of the things that makes burning a bunch of points on G harder to swallow for some people.

Fonkie

Lil-Rokslider
Yup I burned a bunch of Colorado points last year & never saw a buck that was worthy of pulling the trigger. There is a reason it’s called hunting no matter what tag you have in your pocket. Have to figure out your areas,terrain & how often you want to hunt & just go do it.