REI air rail 1.5 upgrade

Now that my goat hunt is postponed to 2022 bc my buddies back injury, I have a year to ponder my system more than I would. I also have a Dall hunt booked for 2024. I have an old rei pad from about 6 or 7 years ago. It’s 26 oz and packs down to 6.5x9” with an r value of 4.2.

It seems stupid huge in my pack. Seems many people like the expeds and the thermarest xtherms. Are these worth the cost to upgrade? Also it seems the packed size isn’t a ton different with the exped synmat UL winter at r value 5.2 weighs 21 oz and packs to 9.1 x 5.5”. The thing that concerns me on the xtherm is the potato chip bag noise. It’s r value is 6.9 weighs 15 oz and measures 9x4”.

Also, my bag is a north face cats meow. Will this suffice or again, worth the upgrade?

Thanks for any advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zach Herold

Super Moderator
Staff member
Check out thermarest uberlite. It's not a loud as the xtherms.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

OP
ryjack70ss
Bumping this up as there are sales on pads right now. I am going into the brooks range for Dall next august. I used the rei self inflating pad for goat. It worked well for my use. It is comfortable enough and warm enough for me but I wonder what the weather will deliver in August up there and if it is worth upgrading my pad to the exped ultra 7r or 5r. The medium ultra 7r is 22 oz. Medium wide is 28 oz. On the other hand the ultra 5 is only a bit higher r value than what I already have but weighs a little less. So would anyone have issues with the REI air rail 1.5 ( older model) or pick up an ultra 7r for $180? Basically it’s nearly the same weight as what I have but better r value. I think the rest of my setup is good to go. Thanks!

Ryan

Last edited:

Aluminum Rain

Lil-Rokslider
Bought a Ultra 7r and a Western Mountaneering Kodiak after the '22 season. Both were only about 2 oz more than what i had prior. But man what a difference in warmth and comfort. Sleeping was never so joyful this season.