REI all season bivy?

dallas.kc

Lil-Rokslider
Does anybody have experience with this bivy? I’ve seen it go on sale for a decent price and I have been thinking about trying one out. Outdoor research alpine looks like a nice one too, but I’ve heard it’s kind of a pain to get in and out of. Open to any other recs as well

Stu

Lil-Rokslider
I can’t speak to the REI but I own and have used the OR alpine quite a bit. It’s a solid piece of gear, as the weight will remind you, but inspires confidence when the weather goes south on top of a mountain and you’re solo. That puppy goes a long way in keeping warm and dry in terrible weather. I even carry it on long day hikes in case of injury or any other reason that may result in an unexpected overnight.

OP
dallas.kc

dallas.kc

Lil-Rokslider
I can’t speak to the REI but I own and have used the OR alpine quite a bit. It’s a solid piece of gear, as the weight will remind you, but inspires confidence when the weather goes south on top of a mountain and you’re solo. That puppy goes a long way in keeping warm and dry in terrible weather. I even carry it on long day hikes in case of injury or any other reason that may result in an unexpected overnight.
Good to know. Do you find it to be a bit too warm for early season weather? Or is it more about managing what you are putting inside of it?

Stu

Lil-Rokslider
Unless it’s a hot muggy night I think it would be fine. Honestly haven’t spent a night in it that wasnt in the 50s or less and i was still using a light bag so I doubt you would be sweating in the 60s. I like having it and a light tarp for solo stuff.

Last edited:
No direct experience with the REI bivy, though I have a general impression that their house brand gear is fairly high quality and function for the price.

Been a bivy fan for a while. I started with a GI goretex bivy decades ago. Bombproof & 2#. I have use SOL (good in a pinch) OR and a few others. Bought a bora bivy last year and haven’t used any of the others since. Great product. Great service. I would definitely check them out. EmIl them your specs and usage and they will recommend something.

If you go the REI route or any bivy in general, watch your weight. With a bivy, it is easy to add a ground cloth, overhead cover and bug net and come up with a total weight that is actually higher than a small tent, especially a really light weight one. Dyneema and modern construction methods have made solid, weatherproof 2# tents a reality. For my preference, I actually prefer a smell mesh walled tent in hot, buggy weather. I also like a tent in deep cold or when I expect significant rain. I will take a bivy for anything in between.

OP
dallas.kc

dallas.kc

Lil-Rokslider
No direct experience with the REI bivy, though I have a general impression that their house brand gear is fairly high quality and function for the price.

Been a bivy fan for a while. I started with a GI goretex bivy decades ago. Bombproof & 2#. I have use SOL (good in a pinch) OR and a few others. Bought a bora bivy last year and haven’t used any of the others since. Great product. Great service. I would definitely check them out. EmIl them your specs and usage and they will recommend something.

If you go the REI route or any bivy in general, watch your weight. With a bivy, it is easy to add a ground cloth, overhead cover and bug net and come up with a total weight that is actually higher than a small tent, especially a really light weight one. Dyneema and modern construction methods have made solid, weatherproof 2# tents a reality. For my preference, I actually prefer a smell mesh walled tent in hot, buggy weather. I also like a tent in deep cold or when I expect significant rain. I will take a bivy for anything in between.
Thank you for the information I’ll look into the Bora brand. What mesh tent do you like for warmer weather?

OP
dallas.kc

dallas.kc

Lil-Rokslider
Unless it’s a hot muggy night I think it would be fine. Honestly haven’t spent a night in it that wasnt in the 50s or less and i was still using a light bag so I doubt you would be sweating in the 60s. I like having it and a light tarp for solo stuff.
That’s exactly what I’m thinking I’ll use it for. Solo with a tarp. What tarp are you using?

Thank you for the information I’ll look into the Bora brand. What mesh tent do you like for warmer weather?

Yeah...I have Or have had a few. To be clear, By “mesh tent” I mean a tent with a floor that has mesh sides on the inner wall and a solid rain fly for wet weather. Usually called a 3 season tent. I love sleeping in the open and I think solid wall backpacking tents are a bit clostrophobic under the best circumstances so I avoid them when possible.

So..For 2 people, I have an REI brand half dome that is speced for 3 but sleeps 2.

For one, I had a NEmo hornet. It is 2# and sleeps 1 plus gear, but I think my brother stole it. Really like everything I have bought from Nemo. I will also use a poncho / tarp called a Gatewood cape from sixmoon designs with a mesh nest (floor and mesh walls) under it for bugs. The gatewood is a bit cozy if you have to button up.

I have some other tents but they have more solid walls. If you are looking to lighten you load and wallet, zpacks and hyperlite have some good dyneema options. Half the weight. 3x the cost.

Again, I only prefer a tent when I know bugs are going to drive me crazy or it is going to rain or snow a lot. For my $ that bora bivy is the cats ass.

OP
dallas.kc

dallas.kc

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah...I have Or have had a few. To be clear, By “mesh tent” I mean a tent with a floor that has mesh sides on the inner wall and a solid rain fly for wet weather. Usually called a 3 season tent. I love sleeping in the open and I think solid wall backpacking tents are a bit clostrophobic under the best circumstances so I avoid them when possible.

So..For 2 people, I have an REI brand half dome that is speced for 3 but sleeps 2.

For one, I had a NEmo hornet. It is 2# and sleeps 1 plus gear, but I think my brother stole it. Really like everything I have bought from Nemo. I will also use a poncho / tarp called a Gatewood cape from sixmoon designs with a mesh nest (floor and mesh walls) under it for bugs. The gatewood is a bit cozy if you have to button up.

I have some other tents but they have more solid walls. If you are looking to lighten you load and wallet, zpacks and hyperlite have some good dyneema options. Half the weight. 3x the cost.

Again, I only prefer a tent when I know bugs are going to drive me crazy or it is going to rain or snow a lot. For my $ that bora bivy is the cats ass.
Thank you for all the information, you have been very helpful. I'm still learning some of the semantics when it comes to gear and all that so I wasn't quite sure what you meant by "mesh" but I see now, ha! Thank you again, I'll look into some of those options, and the bivy route seems like a pretty neat way to go. I may pick your brain about the Bora after I look into it some if you don't mine. Take care!

turley

Lil-Rokslider
For nicer weather I really prefer a water resistant / breathable fabric bivy with full head net (Borah Gear SideZip Bivy; Mountain Laurel Designs Superlite Bivy) paired with a tarp. This allows the ability to just throw the bivy down and sleep under the stars and add the tarp if rain is likely.
For when rain is likely the Dan Durston X-Mid 1P or 2P tents gets very good reviews and are one of the more economical options out there. The X-Mid 1P is selling on The Drop for $200 and weighs 28oz.
Cheers